US, Japan cautiously rebuild ties with Thailand

webfact

US, Japan Cautiously Rebuild Ties With Thailand
Concerned at rising Chinese influence since last year’s coup, the two countries adopt a pragmatic approach.
By Hana Rudolph

WASHINGTON: -- The United States and Japan drew international attention this month, as both countries separately marked positive shifts in their relations with Thailand. While the United States kicked off the annual Cobra Gold military exercises – the largest joint military exercise in the Asia-Pacific – Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe met with Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, releasing a joint statement that called for broader bilateral economic ties.

Both actions attracted significant attention, in part because Thailand is currently ruled by a military junta, which came to power following a coup in May 2014. Thailand is governed by martial law and officials have stated that the restoration of democracy will not happen until early 2016.

This political situation notwithstanding, the United States and Japan affirmed their relationships with Thailand, both likely under with the intent of countering China’s growing influence in the region – the United States with security cooperation and Japan with economic aid. Thailand is a longstanding U.S. security ally in the Asia-Pacific, with the Cobra Gold exercises first held at a bilateral level beginning in 1982.

Last year’s coup prompted the United States to suspend security assistance and cancel exchange programs with Thailand, as the U.S. is legally prohibited from providing military assistance to any country whose elected leader is removed from power by a coup. Yet China’s increasing overtures towards Thailand in the months since, particularly towards strengthening security cooperation, have been a cause for concern in Washington.

Full story: http://thediplomat.com/2015/02/us-and-japan-cautiously-rebuild-ties-with-thailand/

-- THE DIPLOMAT 2015-02-27

Reality of American positive shift to Thailand - talking to the government of the day regards the here and now issues, regardless of their locked in hypocritical legalities, instead of stooping around talking to previous people’s court convicted fugitive criminals lackeys. Full praise to Japan's PM Abe who played the scenario correct right from the start.

If the Yanks had tried that approach from day one then the building issues would never have started to creat a barrier.

The New World countries call it right. If you want to win a full on crap fight then call in the Yanks with their toys of destruction. But if you want to find diplomatic solutions call in the British, older European democracies, Canadians and Kiwis. Note – Aussies left out as they are becoming more like the Yanks every day - early p!ss taking for tomorrow's Eden Park battle.

Have to agree with Aussieinthailand, even though he not a fan of the US, and I being an American. I not a big fan of some of there policies but some times they get it right others they don't. But one has to take in to account an idiot is in the drivers seat so please bare with the mentally challenged, his days are numbered. Now where was I? Oh yeah as far as what's going on relations between the US and Thailand it don't reflect the feeling of American expats in the know far from it. Were here there, there. So we have first hand knowledge Unlike our ambassador who stays in there compound and only mingles with those either rich or in power. But eitherway I'm here and here to stay for reasons of my own and not for the women only that's an added benefit. So keep my nose clean and out of Thailands business and go through life trying to not complain.

• Like 1

Oh, tiptoe through Thailand with diplomacy,

and tiptoe through the tulips with me.

And if Obama kisses Prayuth, in the moonlight,

will there be an amnesty?

Just tiptoe through the universe with me!

courtesy of Tiny Tim. Lyrics modified somewhat

Tiny Tim's version was only a "cover" of a 1929 song.

People were just amused to see a freak perform it in the 1960s.

‘Crooning Troubadour’ Nick Lucas’ recording of "Tip-Toe Through The Tulips" hit the top of the charts in May 1929. The song he introduced in the 1929 musical talkie Gold Diggers of Broadway

​This makes your expertise on diplomacy suspect as well.

• Like 1

Reality of American positive shift to Thailand - talking to the government of the day regards the here and now issues, regardless of their locked in hypocritical legalities, instead of stooping around talking to previous people’s court convicted fugitive criminals lackeys. Full praise to Japan's PM Abe who played the scenario correct right from the start.

If the Yanks had tried that approach from day one then the building issues would never have started to creat a barrier.

The New World countries call it right. If you want to win a full on crap fight then call in the Yanks with their toys of destruction. But if you want to find diplomatic solutions call in the British, older European democracies, Canadians and Kiwis. Note – Aussies left out as they are becoming more like the Yanks every day - early p!ss taking for tomorrow's Eden Park battle.

Total crap from a tourist who thinks a diplomatic solution is beer with ice.

Look at the facts, without your tinted glasses. The end game hasn't changed.

Tiny Tim's version was only a "cover" of a 1929 song.

People were just amused to see a freak perform it in the 1960s.

‘Crooning Troubadour’ Nick Lucas’ recording of "Tip-Toe Through The Tulips" hit the top of the charts in May 1929. The song he introduced in the 1929 musical talkie Gold Diggers of Broadway

​This makes your expertise on diplomacy suspect as well.

Oh Lord, my little parody has touched a nerve...sooo sorry!

the U.S. is legally prohibited from providing military assistance to any country whose elected leader is removed from power by a coup.

If this is true then under what guise are they supporting the coup in Egypt ?