Why has cycling become so popular.

LarryBird

I've been in Chiangmai for almost 9 years now, and when I first came here, I never saw a Thai person using a bicycle as a form of exercise. Maybe an old lady strolling through the mooban, but actually dressed up like Lance Armstrong, ready for the Tour de France, no.

Now, it's a major trend. What happened? Why did the natives decide cycling is their calling? Had they never seen or heard of it before, and someone recently introduced it to them? Was there a famous Thai cyclist that made it catch on, similar to Thaiger Woods mainstreaming golf? What does this phenomenon tell us about our neighbors?

Enquiring minds want to know!

• Like 1

Back where I come from you now see lots of cyclists (mainly male) wearing Lycra with all the advertising just like Lance and the others. Unfortunately, it is not just idiots Farangs doing it now, there are a few Thais jumping on board. They are usually extremely fit and are just showing off - and like playing chicken with cars and trucks and buses. They are usually on their way to/from 2 things: work in a non-decscrpt loser's job; or a cafe with their boyfriends biggrin.png. In my book they are worth 150 points, second only to Greenies carrying placards (200 points) cheesy.gif.

But seriously - there are so many ways that nature tries to ensure the survival of the species - it is all genetics. This is just another method that nature uses to try and clean out the gene pool.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

At one time before motorbikes took over, almost everyone in CM rode bicycles (same as china) look at old photos.

Not talking about those type. I'm sure there was a time when everyone walked everywhere, too. Probably no photos of that, though.

What is wrong with people learning something new? I lived in Bangkok when Clark Hatch opened the first health club in the carpark across from the US Embassy. People laughed and said Thais don’t and won’t exercise. Now there are busy health clubs everywhere.

Cycling is just another form of exercise which has become more popular with access to better bikes and more information about cycling. Make it easy, accessible and advertise it in popular media and show charity rides with well known people riding and it grows in popularity.
What could possibly be wrong with that? Being fit is not a crime.
It is about time for me to put on my lycra and enjoy a beautiful 70 to 80 km ride around my area.

I gues you missed my point. I think it's great people are out exercising, definitely nothing wrong with cycling. I've done a fair share myself. But, it's not like bikes were invented yesterday. What has changed? With your example of the health facilities, now the gyms are here, before they weren't. Bicycles aren't new, and I don't think are distinctly more affordable today then they were yesterday. Sure, Thais have gained some wealth, but not significantly to the point where a 10k mtn bike is now a drop in the bucket now and wasn't a few years ago.

We also now commonly see people riding on big motorcycles high off the ground with the container things on the back and the side.. Never saw those before, but now everybody's gotta have em? What gives. I think the reason lies in the social nature of Thais.

My decision to go out and start exercising on a bicycle has nothing to do with my neighbor doing it. Does it for you?

To reiterate my point, I am more interested in why, I don't have a problem with people cycling.

Although, I do think people are NUTZ for riding a bicycle on these roads. My friend knew of three people that got mauled in a two week period here in Chiangmai. I mean, if riding a bicycle brings you a ton of joy, have at it. I find it to be pretty boring.

Its the Thai herd mentality. They like to follow and show they can afford to follow trends. Im sure when they stop for a break the first words they ask each other is "how much"? It was the same with fixed wheel bikes a year ago....

• Like 2

Increased wealth and global awareness.

My brother and sister-in-law come to CM for a month and cycle often and long. Both are very fit and he has cycles 20 hours a week for years and that is hills. They would not be caught dead in Lycra faux racer garb. It is strictly for dorks ,posers and Walmart shoppers.

It is the latest fad for Thais. Pretty much everyone on Facebook has a friend posing with lycra and a bicycle.

Like everything the fad will pass but a few will decide they actually like cycling and carry on.

When it gets hot, the lycra will be gone and it will be a motorbike to the corner shop as usual.

10 years ago riding a bicycle might have been seen as someone being too poor to buy a motorbike, today thais hopefully see it as a conscious choice based on wanting to stay fit (the obesity epidemic is now undeniable), get around faster, and not contribute to the rising pollution (which again is undeniable).

That said, thais often seem surprised when they learn that I either walk or bicycle (here in CM), so I think we have some way to go before we reach a tipping point.

Most Thais never understood the importance of staying fit. They hate to walk or run , mayb e it's because of the hot climate here but we see foreigners enjoying their walk every day here in Pattaya.

But maybe some Thais now understand the importance of exercising and cycling is good way to get around, I see more cyclists on the roads here than 3 years ago.

I own an electric bicycle made in Thailand , the Nimble 24.6 . I admit I'm often tempted to use the battery instead of the pedals. The price for this model including the battery is 25000 baht. And it's worth it . Very good quality compared to others I've seen.

n246.jpg?v=1vg35k4wepl7wx7

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Let's do a quick 50 km in 33 C, I'll wear lycra and you can wear your jeans and t-shirt and then tell me it's just for posers!

All I did was post a link to the Telegraph, you're the one being defensive about posers. wink.png