Local community fire salvo of complaints against Phuket resort

webfact

Local community fire salvo of complaints against Phuket resort
Nattha Thepbamrung

1425001654_1-org.jpg
Governor Nisit (right) and PM’s Office Inspector Orawan Khumsap.

PHUKET: -- The complaint about calls form a village mosque disturbing people’s lives has been rejected by the authorities.

But now the villagers have hit back with a salvo of complaints against the Phuket Panwa Beachfront Resort – which they believe was behind the original complaint.

Now a committee is to be set up to try to resolve those complaints.

The decision to reject the noise complaint came after a protest was held outside the resort by members of the Muslim community of Baan Ao Makham on February 19, in what the protesters say was a reaction to the resort having sent the letter about the noise. (See original story here)

Governor Nisit Jansomwong and PM’s Office Inspector Orawan Khumsap announced the decision to set up the committee at a meeting held today (February 26) after the PM’s Office decided that it would take no action on the complaint.

The complaint is believed to have stated that the speaker system from the mosque plays an Azan (call to prayer) early in the morning and late at night causing a number of complaints about its loudness.

After the case was referred back by the PM’s office to Phuket Province, it was decided that the complaint was void.

A letter sent to the PM̕s office by Governor Nisit stated, “The complaint alleging Azans were made from 11pm to midnight is untrue as the Muslim principle does not have an Azan or any activity that could make noise during this time.

“Although there is an Azan between 5am – 6am it only lasts two to three minutes.

“The complainant(s) mention that their lives had been disrupted for a month. However, the complaint acknowledged that the Muslim community has lived there a long time.

“Ninety per cent of the Ao Makham community are Muslim and these people have conducted their religious activities in the area for hundreds of years and therefore it was decided the complaint was void.”

This decision was relayed to the PM’s Office, which agreed.

However, villagers who still believe that the Phuket Panwa Beachfront Resort is the complainant (or one of the complainants), have now filed many counter-complaints about the resort.

Naiyana Salika, a member of the Muslim community, explained at the meeting that the Highways Office has asked all villagers to move their houses back from the border of the main road through the village but not the resort.

“All the small houses here have had to move back from the road line already.

“Some residents have been affected as they make a living in front of their houses, yet the hotel can put a big sign on an illegal area.

“The resort has also selfishly blocked the beach to make it private for guests,” she said. “It has many security guards monitoring the area. It is public land and belongs to all of us.”

She also alleged that waste water from the resort runs out to the beach. “They even drain waste water into the sea near where villagers live, and it kills all the coral,” she said.

She added that along with that, the resort actually makes noise and heat, and the resort̕s high voltage electric system creates a risk to the local community.

“The chiller machines face the community. They make noise and heat 24/7.

“The high voltage electrics that the resort operator brought is now located in the village area above some of the houses’ roofs. We are concerned if there is a problem such as a transformer explosion, we will have a problem that is not of our making.”

After listening to the complaints, the governor promised the village representatives that a committee, made up of representatives from provincial authorities, Royal Thai Navy Area 3 Command, the Royal Thai Army and police officers, hotel representatives and village representatives, would be set up to work on the issues.

It will also work on making investors and businesses in the area understand about how to live with the local community.

“We are peaceful people but we will not surrender if we are insulted, and today we have proved it.

“Religion is a very sensitive topic and we have lived here a lot longer than any business operators.

“Wherever you have a business you have to respect the local people,” said Narong Kumbaan, Village Chief of Ao Makham Moo 7.

“I will also ask the inspector [Ms Orawan] to see if there is a punishment for those who file a spurious complaint.”

Ms Orawan said in the meeting that although she could confirm that the resort had not sent the complaint, the name of the complainant cannot be revealed because of the terms of the Official Information Act of 1997.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/local-community-fire-salvo-of-complaints-against-phuket-resort-51173.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-27

>>“We are peaceful people but we will not surrender if we are insulted, and today we have proved it.

Sure you are. Blockade roads, make threats, then demand a concession to take people from their cruise ships to visit other areas of Phuket. Peaceful indeed, until someone gets hurt.

So now is revealed why this resort was targeted. It was clear from the beginning there was more to it than this complaint, which could have come from anyone.

But they are not happy with the way the resort operates. And judging from the complaints they do have a point, and I'm willing to bet there is again more to it, such as the resort not using local transportation options.

I am sure that the locals will be only too happy if the resort and other resorts in that area all shut up shop and relocate their business outside of Phuket, (such as the stunning beaches in Myanmar).

Let's give all the beaches back to the 'poor' Muslim communities, so that they can ditch their tuk-tuks, massage shops, restaurants, souvenir shops etc, and go back to their traditional fishing lifestyle.

• Like 2

“We are peaceful people but we will not surrender if we are insulted, and today we have proved it.
“Religion is a very sensitive topic and we have lived here a lot longer than any business operators.

Interesting that they don't simply reject the complaint as unjustified but have to be insulted too. So what's next?

post-147065-0-88930400-1425025656_thumb.

Edited by DoctorB

I am sure there are all sorts of subplots and nuance here beneath surface story, The resort is a recent addition to the community. The owners/investors might have spent a night camping out there before building. It doesn't take a religious scholar to know Muslims pray at times inconvenient to tourists at a resort. Don't like the call to prayer? Then build somewhere else. They probably have been there for hundreds of years.

I lived in a 7th floor condo in Bangkok about 150' from speakers at same level. I got used to it. It did bother me when used speakers for other things, like funerals at 6 a.m.. I'd talk with them and they turned it down.

Bottom line is Muslims were there first. Adapt. Oh, I am an atheist by the way.

I agree that the noise these Mosque's create is very irritating indeed. I don't care what you believe as long as it doesn't affect others. The problem is that how in Thailand would you be able to put a law banning these Mosques from creating this annoying noise when there is a whole Thai culture of noise pollution?

Go to a mall and listen to the presenters scream over each other at 120 db's, the sound of the roving muay thai or other tourist trap advertising trucks. The motor bikes and the tuk tuks with the baffles knocked out of their mufflers to sound cool etc etc.