Red/White painted Parking restrictions on the streets and Air pollution in Pattaya – Who takes care

rolfwipi

The City Hall of Pattaya wasted a lot of money on red and white colours to paint expensive parking restrictions on certain streets within the city limit of Pattaya.

But most foreign drivers, who are guests in Thailand, especially drivers from Europe, do not know, that this red/white painting represents Thai traffic rules, means parking in this area is forbidden for every vehicle, as in their home country a simple inexpensive yellow line painted alongside the street has the same meaning.

For Thai drivers, even if they are aware of the existence of Thai traffic rules, for them it is a national sport to break every existing Thai traffic rule.
And the police in Pattaya, who should do everything, to have these Thai traffic rules respected, does nothing at all. I have never seen a police officer in Pattaya fining a car parked in a forbidden area.
The City Hall of Pattaya must never complain that they have not enough money. The money is lying on the streets of Pattaya. If you drive once from Pattaya on Thappraya Road direction Sattahip until Sukhumvit Road and back to Pattaya and count the cars which are parked in forbidden areas, then the City Hall of Pattaya has only to ask their police to fine these wrongly parked car drivers in the city limit of Pattaya with at least THB 500.00 and the City Hall will get rich.
To avoid thoughtless drivers parking their cars again in forbidden areas, the police only have to withdraw the driving license of the faulty driver after the third fine of THB 500.00 for at least 3 months. These drivers, parking their cars in forbidden areas are contributing a lot to the traffic congestion in Pattaya, as they take away one whole traffic lane for their parking.
Drivers of privately operated buses are not only parking most of the time in forbidden areas, but they are also sleeping in their buses, of course with the air-conditioning switched on to have a certain comfort. And for the air-conditioning to work, they must have the motors of their buses running all night. Thanks to all such bus drivers for the air pollution in Pattaya. You only have to clean your table on the balcony or on the terrace every day with a white tissue paper in order to know how dirty the air in Pattaya is.

Edited by petercool
edited to standard type and size
  • Like 2

A tourist coming here and renting a car/motor bike is responsible to know the traffic rules before driving off.

Air pollution is a major problem in the whole of Asia.

Up North they have started to burn the fields which makes the air pollution very bad sometimes.

I was in China last year for some work, man oh man, the air pollution is extremely bad there.

At least here in Pattaya we often have a sea nice breeze that helps keeping the air breathable much of the time.

Until we stop using combustion engines in cars/bikes/buses it will not get better only worse despite improvement in engine technologies with lower fuel consumption.

• Like 2

Very well said, Rolf.

This is also my complaint for a long time.

Everything is done for show and public consumption and no action is taken ever.

Unfortunately what we say or write doesn't make any difference to them.

Hopefully this government, after they deal with burning issues of corruption and putting this shambles of police force in order, they will look into these issues.

I'm not in a harry to see them going......they are doing a good job at the moment and I believe they are going to do more good work in the future.

You can't even park where there are no painted lines. Thais believe the public road in front of their shop/bar is their property & put (stolen) beacons to prevent parking. If you remove the obstruction or remonstrate with them you risk a nail in your tyre or scratched paintwork.

• Like 1

It is what it is guys. Why so many complaints about Pattaya/Thailand? Do you really want they enforce all the rules and laws like they do in our home country's? Then Thailand become a nanny state. Is that really what you asking for? The daily chaos here is a part of the charm and a part of the reason why we come here and enjoy our time.

• Like 1

The daily chaos here is a part of the charm and a part of the reason why we come here and enjoy our time.

Speak for yourself. Personally it's the biggest thing wrong with the country as far as I'm concerned.

Given a scrap of common-sense there would be no traffic problems in Pattaya at all. But no one currently in charge has that scrap.

• Like 1

E

And the police in Pattaya, who should do everything, to have these Thai traffic rules respected, does nothing at all. I have never seen a police officer in Pattaya fining a car parked in a forbidden area.

Guess you have to do another look.

At least the fools that park in front Central at Beach Road will not have big fun when their vehicle is towed.

Seen this more than once even as a sporadic visitor.

Also on South Pattaya at market days you will not see many cars on the "forbidden side".

And I agree: who comes here as a tourist and fancys to drive a vehicle has to inform about the basic rules.

As far as I know Thailand is not the only country in the world that uses the simple color coding (black/white, yellow/white, red/white).

I long lived in a country where roads are plastered with complicated signs.

As you see: if you don't know the language you are lost as a tourist.

Not sooo different from Thailand whistling.gif

6,w=650,c=0.bild.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ