Govt announces plans for affordable broadband throughout Thailand

thai tech

Govt announces plans for affordable broadband throughout Thailand

Thailand_Internet-http-702x336.jpg

Thailand’s deputy prime minister, Mr Pridiyathorn Devakula, has announced plans to make affordable broadband Internet available nationwide within the next two and a half years.

The plans, which form part of the government’s strategy to create a digital economy, would see all of Thailand’s 75,000 villages have access to low cost high speed Internet.

The creation of a national broadband network would see the installation of fibre optic cable across all areas of Thailand, which would be financed and carried out by public/private partnerships and joint ventures between the government and private companies.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/govt-announces-plans-for-affordable-broadband-throughout-thailand/5717/

Another grand plan to bring internet to every house in Thailand....over the years I've seen quite a few such announcements and their deadlines for completion have come and gone...only to be replaced by announcement of a new program. It's kinda like hanging a carrot in front of the cart...the poor donkey can never seem to reach the carrot.

• Like 1

Bloody good idea. Getting independent news sources into villages instead of the dawn indoctrination will lead to voters who can make an informed choice.

Question for the moaners - if it ends up costing B700 billion, will it be better for Thailand than warehouses full of rotting rice? Or crap tablets that worked for a week, if you were lucky?

Bloody good idea. Getting independent news sources into villages instead of the dawn indoctrination will lead to voters who can make an informed choice.

Question for the moaners - if it ends up costing B700 billion, will it be better for Thailand than warehouses full of rotting rice? Or crap tablets that worked for a week, if you were lucky?

And what in the world makes you think that the Thai Government is going to allow independent news sources into villages

If the government builds it, they are going to control the content as their ROI

And what in the world makes you think that the Thai Government is going to allow independent news sources into villages

If the government builds it, they are going to control the content as their ROI

Of course, nobody will ever find a way round that.

• Like 1

1) I live in Silom , the CBD, can't get fiber optic to my building and my True internet is far from "high speed".....(don't get me started folks).......will it be accessible here any time soon? What village of the 75,000 is the Central Business District?

and

2) I am happy to see that all of Thailand will have the opportunity play on-line poker and chat on FB without delay....affordably....cuz i don't picture the average household in the average village doing much more than that, apart from perhaps downloading movies faster.....

I live in rural Thailand and my Internet comes courtesy of TOT and WiNet.

On Friday afternoon 27th February it slowly ran down until it stopped. I reported it to ToT central control on Saturday morning, again 8 hours later and the very nice lady said both times they will get a techie to look at it.

It started to come back this morning and by 11am it was as "normal" as it usually is.

It usually slows down on a Friday and is back to "normal" by Monday morning.

It is the 4th time this year it has crashed and I started a crash log last May and it crashed 8 times last year. Proior to that it usually crashes once a month and the longest outage was 5 1/2 days.