Cost of private nurse if bed ridden?

Lone Ranger

After seeing a friend of mine recently bed -ridden with a stroke I was wondering if anyone knew what the approx costs would be of employing :

1. A Full time 24/7 365 days per year live in fully qualified Thai nurse ?

OR

2. Paying for that nurse to visit his home on a daily basis to take care of his basic needs such as lifting,bathing, administrating prescribed drugs etc?

Any help would be gratefully received-many thanks in advance.

My father-in-law was struck by a stroke and we paid for a live in Thai lady to take care of him.

She wasn't a qualified nurse but she could do most of the necessary work.

Salary 15,000 per month + free food.

Later had a Burmese helper who spoke fluent Thai for 8,500 month.

Edited by petedk

1200 baht a day seems pretty reasonable

that is a good price, maybe the OP should inquire around the local hosptials as well, may find a nurse who wants a new job and pretty sure you would get them for even less, as don't think a nurse in local hospital would be getting 36k/m anyway and maybe if you offered them 25-30k month live in/free food etc

• Like 2

Who would agree to work 24/7/365?

you don't work 24/7/365, your available

these sorts of jobs would be live in, think of it as a wife you pay a salary to, except there is no hide the sausage and the lady concerned has been trained in medicine

many TV members would be well versed in how this arrangement works whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

We've got 2. Pay one 8k and the other 9k per month. 1 day off per week, 12 hours per day. They don't live here, but eat meals here. They don't speak English. And do a great job of taking care of mom. Bathing, dressing, cooking and feeding, giving meds, cleaning up, etc.

Our neighbor has offered up some young gals who I guess are nurses in training from one of the local hospitals. Also 9k/month. We've got a live in Filipino in the village who does 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Don't know if she gets vacation time or not. They pay her about 15 or 18k/month. Speaks perfect English.

Best place to check is your local hospital. But do you really need a fully qualified nurse or just a care giver?

...think of it as a wife you pay a salary to... whistling.gif

So they they get paid, get free room and board, they can come and go as they please and they don't actually have to do anything, correct?

That's not too bad.

Do n't be stupid.

They live with and take care of the person.

Maybe they cook, help them get dressed and bathed etc.

Most of the day they sit and watch TV together (or chat with friends on Line). It's not a job where they are actually working constantly. They probably sleep all night long too.

Most are not interested in days off as they don't have friends or family around here, and they want to save money.

Please allow me to confirm facts i forgot in my first post.

We were quoted 1200 baht per day for a fully qualified nurse, on call 24/7.

At the time i was sometimes needing oxygen/ nebulizer etc, so had to be fully qualified nurse not a helper.

Fortunately for me that period has passed, i no longer require full time nursing.

I am still confined to bed (paralysed from chest down).

...think of it as a wife you pay a salary to... whistling.gif

So they they get paid, get free room and board, they can come and go as they please and they don't actually have to do anything, correct?

That's not too bad.

Do n't be stupid.

They live with and take care of the person.

Maybe they cook, help them get dressed and bathed etc.

Most of the day they sit and watch TV together (or chat with friends on Line). It's not a job where they are actually working constantly. They probably sleep all night long too.

Most are not interested in days off as they don't have friends or family around here, and they want to save money.

Name calling, how clever.

So it is not like a wife.

I am bedridden, enquired about full time nurse, live in /out. I was quoted 1200 baht per day.

35,000 for a nurse that speaks English at a functional level is about right.

20k + for a nurse with very little English.

(RN's)

• 2 weeks later...

You may wish to inquire of the care services available at DOK KAEW GARDENS McKean Rehabilitation Center:

Their care service reportedly at 33K-45K ( watch for rising costs like everything else) does not include any medical costs:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767980-assisted-living-at-dok-kaew-gardens-at-mckean/

http://www.mckean.or.th/en/testimonial/chiang-mais-first-retirement-home-for-expats-and-thais/

https://www.facebook.com/mckeanhosp

Also a competing retirement-care center, Care Resort Chiang Mai, offers some of the same yet other services you may find appealing: Inquire as to costs;

http://careresortchiangmai.com/

You may wish to inquire of the care services available at DOK KAEW GARDENS McKean Rehabilitation Center:

Their care service reportedly at 33K-45K ( watch for rising costs like everything else) does not include any medical costs:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767980-assisted-living-at-dok-kaew-gardens-at-mckean/

http://www.mckean.or.th/en/testimonial/chiang-mais-first-retirement-home-for-expats-and-thais/

https://www.facebook.com/mckeanhosp

Also a competing retirement-care center, Care Resort Chiang Mai, offers some of the same yet other services you may find appealing: Inquire as to costs;

http://careresortchiangmai.com/

Thanks for info-appreciated. Just for anyone's interest I was quoted approx 60,000 baht per month by Care Resort Chiang Mai for bed ridden stroke patient but looks like 5 star luxury hotel.

Depends where you are in the country, for instance there is a nurse aid school in Hua Hin which can arrange graduates to do this work, they are well trained in the basics and get hospital time as part of their training.

• Like 1

Depends where you are in the country, for instance there is a nurse aid school in Hua Hin which can arrange graduates to do this work, they are well trained in the basics and get hospital time as part of their training.

I was using 2 assumptions with my reply.

1) actual RN

2) English speaking

Registered Nurses get around 20,000/month at a hospital (more or less, depending on the hospital and their experience) and that is for about a 40 hour week so a 24/7 arrangement is going to be at least 35K.

However, most people do not need a registered nurse and would be fine with a trained nurses aide which would be about half that.

You may find it easier to get 2 people to cover the time required as it is hard to get people willing to have so little time off and to live in.

Need to consider if it is really necessary to have someone there 24 hours including at night. Is he otherwise alone?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have heard of & also been reccommended this service in Hua Hin....sounds good & worth investigating more.I tried to call the English mob phone no but dead.......maybe someone who speaks Thai can elaborate more for all concerned?

In Chiang Mai there are 4 nurse's aids schools that I know of. 1 is very close to Wat Phra Singh. One of my dearest friends and former students is getting her PhD in Nursing at CMU and could probably help out with finding in home nursing care

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have heard of & also been reccommended this service in Hua Hin....sounds good & worth investigating more.I tried to call the English mob phone no but dead.......maybe someone who speaks Thai can elaborate more for all concerned?

Will get back to you later in the day.

Will get back to you later in the day.

The Mrs did a course there several years back but has lost contact with them now.

The only contact number she has is ; 092 269 0944 this is an 8 to 4 number.

Hope this helps

Robby

In Chiang Mai there are 4 nurse's aids schools that I know of. 1 is very close to Wat Phra Singh. One of my dearest friends and former students is getting her PhD in Nursing at CMU and could probably help out with finding in home nursing care

Thanks for info. Hua Hin also has a teaching college for nurses & their reputation seems to be good.