Helmets

bobfish

I know a few on here don't wear helmets [H90 ..smile.png !!...] In the heat they can be a real bugbear, so with the hot season coming up, I think it's about time we had another healthy helmet 'discussion'! wai2.gif

Here's what I'm mostly using right now:

IMG_2103.JPG?itok=tB7Cnbzs

MTB AM; Smith Forefront. After a year of use I can say that the helmet is light and a comfortable fit. The goggle retention strap is total rubbish. Heat disipation isn't as good as the claims - the honeycomb seems to prevent airfow at slower speeds [climbing etc]. When I gain some real speed, the effect is that air is directed from the front vents via the honeycomb to force built up sweat down out of the helmet and stream over my face/neck etc. I'll keep using it, in part because it was so expensive [!] but can't help feeling there are better enduro style hemets out there for hot weather riding.

Road; Catlike Mixino

productos_foto_21341_78x48.png

I think this one is comfortable, light and very cool. Sometimes I forget I'm wearing it!!! [That could be an age thing] The only downsides are cost, wierd sunburn patterns on the head [!] and it gets noisy above 60km/h. That turbine-like sound gets a bit tiresome on long descents, but that's it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H90: Sorry, I was only having some fun wai2.gif and I respect your choice.

No need to sorry....I didn't feel insulted, just wanted to explain why this choice makes in my case more sense than say for someone riding in Bangkok.

I made 3 honest attempts to buy a helmet since they started to become popular, different shops, testing all in stock.

The feeling of discomfort was always so overwhelming that i couldn't bring it over me to buy one.

Cycling since early childhood, with hair- rising accidents and close calls, never broke a bone, only one head wound who required stitches.

Dont think a helmet is of much use when you get run over by a 10 wheeler.

I've had two crashes where the helmet broke. Both times by spearheading a (different) tree. First occasion (full face helmet) I had concussion and temporary loss of sight which required a trip to the MRI..

Not many 10wheelers in the forest, but having ridden in NYC as well, try this statistic from there:

New York issued a statement on their bicycle safety study including these numbers:

Bicycle lanes and helmets may reduce the risk of death.

Almost three-quarters of fatal crashes (74%) involved a head injury.

Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet.

Helmet use among those bicyclists with serious injuries was low (13%), but it was even lower among bicyclists killed (3%).

Only one fatal crash with a motor vehicle occurred when a bicyclist was in a marked bike lane.

Nearly all bicyclist deaths (92%) occurred as a result of crashes with motor vehicles.

Large vehicles (trucks, buses) were involved in almost one-third (32%) of fatal crashes.

Most fatal crashes (89%) occurred at or near intersections.

Nearly all (94%) fatalities involved human error. All New Yorkers, whether pedestrians, bicyclists or motorists, can help prevent crashes by following traffic signs and signals and respecting other road users.

Men and some children face particular challenges.

Most bicyclists who died were males (91%), and men aged 4554 had the highest death rate (8.1 per million) of any age group.

Among children aged 5-14, boys had a much higher death rate than girls; Queens had the highest child bicyclist death rate of the five boroughs.

I came off the bike once a while back. A guy turned left and cut me off to go into a petrol station. Very slow speed, but I braked hard and turned left too fast and pretty much jack-knifed and went over the front, hit forehead first. Helmet detroyed - 'noggin ok (well, as well as it was prior). That helmet saved my life. But here I worry about quality a bit. I might pick up a spare next time I go home. When I was at the bike fair at Asok a few weeks back I saw a few nice helmets, light and cool, but I didn't know the brand and was worried about quality. At 900 baht I am not sure it would have held up like the other one did.

There is something between forest downhill path and NYC, and that's where i am.

I dont do metropolis/jungle, gives me nothing, i want a paved deck in non/semi- urban surrounding, uphill in a forest would be great, really miss it, sea level can get boring...

I have 3 helmets, although one I won in a competition so doesn't get used much.

During winter and when it's cool, I use a Giro Air Attack Shield, has great protection, and although not many vents, it is unusually effective and keeping my head cool. During the hotter months, I use a Giro Aeon, this is really nice light and cool with a decent amount of protection and lots of vents that really work.

The other one I have is a Team Sky Kask Mojito signed by Geraint Thomas. This is a really nice helmet, looks nice and keeps you cool. I only use it on special occasions, as I'm worried to damage it, which is a bit of a stupid attitude to have towards a piece of safety equipment :-)

Well from full face for DH to XC and Road I have more than 10. Not all in the same place.....

Seems to me that while stats can't definitively prove it from a legal standpoint, experience and probability make a compelling argument.

I'd love to ride helmetless with the wind in, what remains of, my hair - but I have to accept the realities ;). So I don't mind the slight discomfor. After being accustomed, it feels kind of, well, comforting...

I also don't mind spending money on good protection. As someone smarter than I said, " If you've got a $10 brain, buy a $10 helmet!"

Extrapolating from that; if you've no brain ......... 555555!

That said, I respect the individual choice not to wear a helmet, but only if the person makes an objective choice to accept the risks. Rather than some B.S. rhetoric.

There is something between forest downhill path and NYC...

Not really.

At least for me road is road. It's never technically challenging. And I am not much interested in riding something that my grandma can ride.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Ha! I used to think like that....biggrin.png

Recent descents of Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon on a road bike and the same week attacking Gee's etc on the MTB were all adrenalin fests. The surface conditions can really technically challenge a stiff roadbike; add high speed, [overtaking cars], forward seating position, piddly grip and woeful braking into the mix and the margin for error is drastically reduced. A pothole at 80km/h will really spoil your day [and lycra] - it takes similar commitment to bunny hop that as it does a high speed drop down ATVw00t.gifw00t.gif .

So, I'll take the Grandma Challenge! Helmets at dawn???smile.png

I always worry about the stray dogs that live on the side of the road when i am flying down Doi Suthip. I saw some photos of a guy who came off

due to a oil spill from a vehicle. His face got quite a bash but he was generally ok. He was descending on a road bike.

I always worry about the stray dogs that live on the side of the road when i am flying down Doi Suthip. I saw some photos of a guy who came off

due to a oil spill from a vehicle. His face got quite a bash but he was generally ok. He was descending on a road bike.

You just gave me a new worry.....having an accident because of the soi dogs....and on top of it the pack of soi dogs are biting me and infecting me with have the content of a medical encyclopaedia.

• 1 month later...

I was glad I was wearing my helmet today. I wasps out for a short ride to the sandwich shop via a slight detour. I was coming down a modest hill, not hammering it, as there's a tee junction at the bottom.

I checked the traffic lights - green, but a bit hard to see because they're twisted, and could be misinterpreted, and besides, it's not unusual to have traffic coming through on red. Sure enough, there were two boys on a motorbike coming from the left. I slowed down and watched them pass, not noticing the sunken drain cover.

My front wheel went into the hole (15 - 20 cm deep) and I went over the handlebars. First thoughts were 'teeth and spectacles', luckily just a few scrapes on the elbow, knuckles and thighs, and a burst watch strap. I had a bit of a wash at the sandwich shop, and when I got home, noticed a few more aches and pains.

Anyway, a salutary reminder not to take your eyes off the road, or take the surface for granted, even on roads you think you know well

SC

I am currently wearing an Urge All Mountain helmet (approx 4000 THB). It is not quite as well ventilated as a typical road/XC helmet, but it offers an increased level of protection. It's still lightweight and comfortable. I'd should probably get a full-face helmet for the DH rides, but so far I could not find the right one. Recommendations welcome.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I am currently wearing an Urge All Mountain helmet (approx 4000 THB). It is not quite as well ventilated as a typical road/XC helmet, but it offers an increased level of protection. It's still lightweight and comfortable. I'd should probably get a full-face helmet for the DH rides, but so far I could not find the right one. Recommendations welcome.

Cheers, CM-Expat

How about a Bell Super 2R?

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/bell-super-2r-helmet-review-2015.html

I was glad I was wearing my helmet today. I wasps out for a short ride to the sandwich shop via a slight detour. I was coming down a modest hill, not hammering it, as there's a tee junction at the bottom.

I checked the traffic lights - green, but a bit hard to see because they're twisted, and could be misinterpreted, and besides, it's not unusual to have traffic coming through on red. Sure enough, there were two boys on a motorbike coming from the left. I slowed down and watched them pass, not noticing the sunken drain cover.

My front wheel went into the hole (15 - 20 cm deep) and I went over the handlebars. First thoughts were 'teeth and spectacles', luckily just a few scrapes on the elbow, knuckles and thighs, and a burst watch strap. I had a bit of a wash at the sandwich shop, and when I got home, noticed a few more aches and pains.

Anyway, a salutary reminder not to take your eyes off the road, or take the surface for granted, even on roads you think you know well

SC

When you just have abrasions its always the shower you have when you get home and the next few days that seems to hurt the most.

Cheers, CM-Expat

How about a Bell Super 2R?

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/bell-super-2r-helmet-review-2015.html

The Bell Super 2R looks like a good choice, and reviews okay. They always make good helmets.

I've also got one of these Casco's t_b6_cascohelme_2831443_m1342.jpg- well actually on my second as the first cracked on a tree.... I figured it saved me and now I've got a spare mandible protector. Not that comfy for me as it fits quite low over the ears so that glasses with fat arms [oakley radar] tend to be unpleasant. Being able to breathe freely on the uphills with the jawbone removed, and having a bit of extra protection on the downs are both pluses. The fit retention is not as secure as a real fullface, and wouldn't provide as good protection.

For actual DH though you can't go past a good f/face. I've been using one of these oneal-2011-thum.jpgthe last few years. Lightweight carbon/kevlar,ventilates well and easy to clean. That's probably two things to look at; weight and resistance to stinkiness. The Cedric Gracia graphics on mine are an aquired taste, but I see he's also moved on to Bell.

Last thought is that a full face is also compatable with a neckbrace.....

SC

Reading your pm this morning Jon and then looking up this thread/post reminded me of what happened to my helmet when I had my accident breaking my right leg in 5 places recently

Because I and everyone else at the scene of the accident was concerned with the bone sticking out of the leg and the arterial blood flow the condition of the helmet wasn't noticed until long after I had been home from hospital and taking time to look at my haro 29er for damage.

It was then that I noticed big crack in my cycle helmet and realised with a bit of a shock that I must have also fell on my head at the same time as I broke my leg.

I too felt that the helmet previous to this accident was a bit uncomfortable and may be even un necessary but not anymore, I am now convinced that the purchase of a proper safety approved helmet is a priority, even the 800 Baht one that I had may have saved me from some serious damage to my head.

if I hadn't seen the crack damage and the tarmac scuff on the helmetm I wouldn't have realised that I had even fell on my head

It was then that I noticed big crack in my cycle helmet and realised with a bit of a shock that I must have also fell on my head at the same time as I broke my leg.

I too felt that the helmet previous to this accident was a bit uncomfortable and may be even un necessary but not anymore, I am now convinced that the purchase of a proper safety approved helmet is a priority, even the 800 Baht one that I had may have saved me from some serious damage to my head.

if I hadn't seen the crack damage and the tarmac scuff on the helmetm I wouldn't have realised that I had even fell on my head

For me the main reason to wear a helmet during any activity on two wheels is an exercise we had to solve during physics studies:

Due to your heads weight combined with the deceleration it will be probably exposed to during the final phase of a fall from your bike in contrary to the assumed strength of your neck muscles and your ability and reaction tensing them at the right time, the chance that your head will have ground contact of any kind is at least 80%.

Not to mention a high speed crash

For me the main reason to wear a helmet during any activity on two wheels is an exercise we had to solve during physics studies:

Due to your heads weight combined with the deceleration it will be probably exposed to during the final phase of a fall from your bike in contrary to the assumed strength of your neck muscles and your ability and reaction tensing them at the right time, the chance that your head will have ground contact of any kind is at least 80%.

Not to mention a high speed crash

Whenever I fall, I'm surprised at how stiff my neck is, afterwards. Not immediately, but a few hours.

Maybe the muscles are weak and I need more exercise. I might go to Sid's and neck a few pints tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

To wear a helmet or not.......I for one always wear one, its a habit I've got into, no saying "Its too hot" or "I'm not riding hard today" We as humans and can adapt to most situation....get used to things that eventually become.....the normal, It even feels odd now if I don't wear the thing.

To date I don't think I've had call to thank my helmet for saving me......But I can recall when I used to race Enduro and I would wear body amour, the mesh jacket type; back, elbows, shoulders and chest. I would crash.....get up and keep racing, a little sore but keep going, one day I took the time to look at my body amour..... deep holes groves in the hardened plastic........What I'm saying is....You'll never know how much you need the protection till your not wearing it.

Fact is I don't like riding with people who won't wear a reasonable level of protection, My play ground is Mae Taeng.....I don't want to have to carry someone's ass out of the jungle or listen to them screaming and dripping about that bamboo sticking out of there eye ball, because they don't need glasses..... .

Stay safe Guys.

I came off my bike yesterday, and looking at the damage to my helmet, all I can say is if I'd not been wearing it, I'd probably be in ICU or dead with my brains splattered on the highway. Instead I got away with minor whiplash and some serious muscle contusion to my should and thigh and a bit of road rash. I came off between 30-40kmh.

Now I have to find a new helmet, that is cool (well ventilated), fashionable and offers similar or better protection, seen some that offer MIPS protection for a little bit extra cost, which I think might be worth the investment.

I came off my bike yesterday, and looking at the damage to my helmet, all I can say is if I'd not been wearing it, I'd probably be in ICU or dead with my brains splattered on the highway. Instead I got away with minor whiplash and some serious muscle contusion to my should and thigh and a bit of road rash. I came off between 30-40kmh.

Now I have to find a new helmet, that is cool (well ventilated), fashionable and offers similar or better protection, seen some that offer MIPS protection for a little bit extra cost, which I think might be worth the investment.

30-40 km/h is very fast if having an accident.

People try to keep the head high and away from everything, but as the head is relative heavy it doesn't work always......

Good that you had a helmet!!

I came off the bike once a while back. A guy turned left and cut me off to go into a petrol station. Very slow speed, but I braked hard and turned left too fast and pretty much jack-knifed and went over the front, hit forehead first. Helmet detroyed - 'noggin ok (well, as well as it was prior). That helmet saved my life. But here I worry about quality a bit. I might pick up a spare next time I go home. When I was at the bike fair at Asok a few weeks back I saw a few nice helmets, light and cool, but I didn't know the brand and was worried about quality. At 900 baht I am not sure it would have held up like the other one did.

I believe most helmets will need replacing after a really smack with

tarmac or a tree.they are not the most durable thing bit like the head

really.

Archived