Helmets

bobfish

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An indestructible helmet doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Indeed, a helmet can always be replaced. Bit more difficult to find a replacement head ;-)

I think he mean that the helmet must deform to eat up some of the energy of the impact. If the helmet would be very strong, it would still spread the impact about a bigger area of the head but the same energy would impact.

I was trying to re enforce that point, but I guess it was lost in translation. Here's some pics of my helmet, the EPS foam is cracked all the way through to the inside of the helmet, quite hard to see in the pic though. The damage to the outer shell is obvious though.....so Villagefarang I've now crash tested the same helmet as you, and it passes ;-)

post-22504-1430738520099_thumb.jpg

post-22504-14307385344953_thumb.jpg

Just had a philosophical thought.......

The head is placed by nature at a very exposed position, while the real important bodyparts are mounted between the legs where it is very safe.

If the head would be so important it would be mounted between the legs and the other parts on top of us, or?

(no I am not drunk, I am always like that crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m )

The head is placed by nature at a very exposed position, while the real important bodyparts are mounted between the legs where it is very safe.

If the head would be so important it would be mounted between the legs and the other parts on top of us, or?

(no I am not drunk, I am always like that crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m )

Between the legs I think is more exposed, at least when riding a bike., given the number of times I've landed on the top tube :-)

Between the legs I think is more exposed, at least when riding a bike., given the number of times I've landed on the top tube :-)

Sounds like you need a crash helmet for your other head, too.thumbsup.gif

Had an accident this morning in Pattaya involving my rental motorbike wearing a helmet and a local Thai man without. He crashed into me at 70 kph while I was going about 20. Got t-boned... I suffered 1 broken rib and a few scratches. He bloodied his face and ruined his Scoopy. He's alright aside from a scratched up face. I'm a firm believer in always wearing helmets. Without my helmet the results would have been very bad. You never know when an accident will happen. Please wear your helmet, it can save your life.

It's why I prefer to ride on the road these days :-)

It's why I prefer to ride on the road these days :-)

It's not comfortable going arse over tit over the handlebars, but so long as there's no scissors or ducks involved, I think I've got off lightly

Find a huge selection here: https://www.google.de/search?q=penis+helmet&biw=1536&bih=729&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JElIVYugEIyGuAT794DgCw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=duplo+helmet ;-)

I'm getting old.

Here's the standard "helmet" from my cycling youth:

braw091.jpg

I have to say, I've never known anyone to get seriously hurt in a cycling accident. I've never been seriously hurt, despite many crashes. I've known lots of folks killed in car wrecks, motorcycle wrecks, and even a few pedestrians, but never a cyclist. And we never wore helmets. None of us- except when we were mountain biking.

I know helmets reduce the risk of head injuries, but I wonder how big the window is where they help? I mean, there are wrecks you'll walk away from with no helmet, and wrecks that will kill you even with a helmet. In between the 2 are the window where a helmet will save you from serious head injury. I question whether that window is big enough to justify wearing a helmet, carrying it with me so it's not stolen, and not feeling the wind on my bald head (though I have to wear a cap anyway to keep the skin up top).

That said, I do have my first bicycle helmet since the end of my mountain biking days in California- bought it the day after I rode my first few blocks on Bangkok streets. I just wish I could find a comfortable one...

Interesting that the 3 cyclists just killed in Chiang Mai were all wearing helmets in the Youtube video...

Really, that is terrible!!! How does that happen? MTB?

I'm getting old.

Here's the standard "helmet" from my cycling youth:

braw091.jpg

I have to say, I've never known anyone to get seriously hurt in a cycling accident. I've never been seriously hurt, despite many crashes. I've known lots of folks killed in car wrecks, motorcycle wrecks, and even a few pedestrians, but never a cyclist. And we never wore helmets. None of us- except when we were mountain biking.

I know helmets reduce the risk of head injuries, but I wonder how big the window is where they help? I mean, there are wrecks you'll walk away from with no helmet, and wrecks that will kill you even with a helmet. In between the 2 are the window where a helmet will save you from serious head injury. I question whether that window is big enough to justify wearing a helmet, carrying it with me so it's not stolen, and not feeling the wind on my bald head (though I have to wear a cap anyway to keep the skin up top).

That said, I do have my first bicycle helmet since the end of my mountain biking days in California- bought it the day after I rode my first few blocks on Bangkok streets. I just wish I could find a comfortable one...

Interesting that the 3 cyclists just killed in Chiang Mai were all wearing helmets in the Youtube video...

I never wear a helmet on the bicycle. I had also several car accidents and walked out of total wrack without any damage every time. Had several heavy accidents on the mountain without any real body damage. The next one slips on the stairs, brake his neck and is for his life in the wheelchair.....There is so much luck involved.....

If you read the posts in this forum regularly, you'll find that this question has been answered with good scientific reasoning.

Yes, helmets do save lives and they do prevent injuries. It's a fact, not an opinion.

BTW, I've worn one of these "fabric helmets", too, back in the seventies. :D

Cheers, CM-Expat

If you read the posts in this forum regularly, you'll find that this question has been answered with good scientific reasoning.

Yes, helmets do save lives and they do prevent injuries. It's a fact, not an opinion.

BTW, I've worn one of these "fabric helmets", too, back in the seventies. :D

Cheers, CM-Expat

I still wear one of those "fabric helmets", underneath my proper helmet, great for keeping the sweat out of your eyes ;-)

It is a fact that helmets can save lifes and lessen injuries. Its a valid argument that you never know when you will have an accident so use it all the time etc. But my own feeling is there are plenty of times when a helmet is not neccesary.

Say you lived out of the city in a quiet rural location in Thailand and you were riding over the fields down the lanes to the shops. No aero bars, heart monitors needed, just jump on your mountain bike or whatever with your flip flops on. Do you need a hemet for this? I think not.

Say you were in a town in the USA or europe and you cycled through quiet surburban streets, through the park to the post office. Do you need a helmet? I say no.

Commuting in busy traffic to work everyday incuding after dark, 100km training ride mixing it with traffic, mountain descents, racing, a helmet is very wise.

Back in the UK many non cyclists who used a car for all journeys would say to me you have got to wear a helmet cycings so dangerous. I would say to the motorists you should wear a helmet when you travel at 70,80,90mph down the motorway. Used the same logic as used with cycle helmets, you will be a lot safer with one on in a 70 mph crash. This point would not be accepted by the motorists in fact they thought it was silly. Would Princess Diana be alive today if she was wearing a helmet?

Thailand roads apart i do feel cycling is made out to more dangerous than it actually is in the western world and there is too much fear about everything nowadays. I have heard you are at more risk of head injury when you get drunk and walk home from the pub or walk about your home than during everyday cycling. If it was suggested to wear a helmet the next time you are going to get drunk this would be seen as very silly.

It is a fact that helmets can save lifes and lessen injuries. Its a valid argument that you never know when you will have an accident so use it all the time etc. But my own feeling is there are plenty of times when a helmet is not neccesary.

Agreed. Using the logic that "helmets save lives", should I be following the lead of F1 drivers and wear a helmet in my pickup truck going to the store? Or wearing a helmet walking downtown? (Googled the statistics, and on a per trip basis, I'm more likely to get killed walking than riding a bicycle)

Of course, helmet companies want me wearing a helmet. Insurance companies, too- because they spread their risk over hundreds of thousands of riders and the helmets cost them nothing and don't mess up their hair, and they don't have to pay for lost or stolen helmets. And government agencies want me wearing a helmet because it's the gub'ment that gets saddled with the cost of caring for the uninsured (and underinsured) when there is brain damage. (Edit: I wonder if they'd want us wearing helmets if they did have to pay for them?)

But as CNXBKKMANN later points out, there are lots of bike rides where the odds of being in an accident where a helmet will be of benefit are minuscule.

That said, I'm wearing one whenever there's trees to navigate. Never seen one on a bicycle, but I have personally witnessed several skiing fatalities when trees played into the equation...

Say you lived out of the city in a quiet rural location in Thailand and you were riding over the fields down the lanes to the shops. No aero bars, heart monitors needed, just jump on your mountain bike or whatever with your flip flops on. Do you need a hemet for this? I think not.

Say you were in a town in the USA or europe and you cycled through quiet surburban streets, through the park to the post office. Do you need a helmet? I say no.

Commuting in busy traffic to work everyday incuding after dark, 100km training ride mixing it with traffic, mountain descents, racing, a helmet is very wise.

Back in the UK many non cyclists who used a car for all journeys would say to me you have got to wear a helmet cycings so dangerous. I would say to the motorists you should wear a helmet when you travel at 70,80,90mph down the motorway. Used the same logic as used with cycle helmets, you will be a lot safer with one on in a 70 mph crash. This point would not be accepted by the motorists in fact they thought it was silly. Would Princess Diana be alive today if she was wearing a helmet?

Thailand roads apart i do feel cycling is made out to more dangerous than it actually is in the western world and there is too much fear about everything nowadays. I have heard you are at more risk of head injury when you get drunk and walk home from the pub or walk about your home than during everyday cycling. If it was suggested to wear a helmet the next time you are going to get drunk this would be seen as very silly.

I don't walk home drunk at 30 kph.

I don't wear a helmet when I cycle on the footpath at pedestrian speeds.

Princess Diana would be alive today if she'd been wearing a seat-belt.

SC

I think it is a mistake to rationalise when a helmet should be worn and when not, as if there could be general rules.

It's completely up to you. You might make that decision based on terrain, weather conditions, speed, comfort, and personal skills. But it is more likely that you make that decision based on habit.

Therefore, it's good practice to put the lid on whenever you go for a ride, even if it's a ride in the park.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I resisted the adoption of wearing a helmet for a very long time. I am not a conformist by nature so you won’t find me wearing something to fit in with a particular group or conform to the mandates of others. You may have seen pictures I have posted wearing all black and pretty much covered from head to toe. I get some grief for what I choose to wear but I take some pride in that fact.

One time I was buying shorts and gloves in a triathlon shop in Hawaii when I noticed a selection of helmets. I had no intention of buy one but I started trying them on. To my surprise one of them was so light and comfortable that it even surpassed the comfort of the hat I used to wear.
With no hair, wearing nothing on my head is not an option. Since I have never fallen off my bike, safety was not my main concern but since I feel the need to cover my head, this helmet in conjunction with a Buff to block the sun reaching my skin, seemed the most comfortable option I had found. I may be stubborn about some things but when something works I go for it.
I really don’t care what others wear or why. Wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet, it is your choice in my opinion.

I resisted the adoption of wearing a helmet for a very long time. I am not a conformist by nature so you won’t find me wearing something to fit in with a particular group or conform to the mandates of others. You may have seen pictures I have posted wearing all black and pretty much covered from head to toe. I get some grief for what I choose to wear but I take some pride in that fact.

One time I was buying shorts and gloves in a triathlon shop in Hawaii when I noticed a selection of helmets. I had no intention of buy one but I started trying them on. To my surprise one of them was so light and comfortable that it even surpassed the comfort of the hat I used to wear.
With no hair, wearing nothing on my head is not an option. Since I have never fallen off my bike, safety was not my main concern but since I feel the need to cover my head, this helmet in conjunction with a Buff to block the sun reaching my skin, seemed the most comfortable option I had found. I may be stubborn about some things but when something works I go for it.
I really don’t care what others wear or why. Wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet, it is your choice in my opinion.

Well, I am the total opposite: I wear as little as possible (I would go naked, if it wouldn't cause a public disturbance) and I have a lot hair (which can be annoying as well), so no sun ever reaches the skin below. The idea to put something hot, sweaty on top of is terrible for me.

(but I only go good streets with the street bike, no MTB, so the biggest risk is that a truck driver on Yaba is flatten me and a helmet wouldn't help in this case)

Well, I am the total opposite: I wear as little as possible (I would go naked, if it wouldn't cause a public disturbance) and I have a lot hair (which can be annoying as well), so no sun ever reaches the skin below. The idea to put something hot, sweaty on top of is terrible for me.

(but I only go good streets with the street bike, no MTB, so the biggest risk is that a truck driver on Yaba is flatten me and a helmet wouldn't help in this case)

Or you do what I did, and happily bombing along on your normal route, you hit a small bump, not even noticeable and you're thrown over the handlebars on to your head. In this situation, a helmet can help a great deal as I just found out last weekend.

The Giro Aeon, is the helmet I had, and it has such good ventilation, I found it no different than just wearing a cycling cap, which I did anyway to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Just plop the helmet on top of the cap, not any hotter and as a bonus you look just like you belong in the pro peloton as well :-p

But the nice thing is, everyone has the freedom to decide themselves.

Or you do what I did, and happily bombing along on your normal route, you hit a small bump, not even noticeable and you're thrown over the handlebars on to your head. In this situation, a helmet can help a great deal as I just found out last weekend.

The Giro Aeon, is the helmet I had, and it has such good ventilation, I found it no different than just wearing a cycling cap, which I did anyway to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Just plop the helmet on top of the cap, not any hotter and as a bonus you look just like you belong in the pro peloton as well :-p

But the nice thing is, everyone has the freedom to decide themselves.

yes that risk always exists....Hope it won't get me.....I hate these metal bumper that are on the white line on some streets. I guess if you hit them just with half the tire it can be nasty......

I don't wear a cap. In Europe they always discuss laws for helmets for biking and skiing. I always wonder how the last 3 generations survived without a nanny state protecting them from themself.

nice to have that freedom.....

(I bike only down in the South were the traffic isn't bad. I would never go in Bangkok, neither with or without helmet)

Australia has always seemed to be a bit of nanny state to me. Doctor's in Australia now seem to be recommending wearing a cycling helmet when doing DIY...http://road.cc/content/news/150709-aussie-doctors-urge-people-wear-cycle-helmets-when-doing-diy-home

Just read that story as well, and the lesson in Australia is that they've seen a drop in cycling since mandatory helmet laws were brought in.......

Australia has always seemed to be a bit of nanny state to me. Doctor's in Australia now seem to be recommending wearing a cycling helmet when doing DIY...http://road.cc/content/news/150709-aussie-doctors-urge-people-wear-cycle-helmets-when-doing-diy-home

I read it twice, looking where it says that it is satire or a 1st April joke....but couldn't find it.

Just read that story as well, and the lesson in Australia is that they've seen a drop in cycling since mandatory helmet laws were brought in.......

Specially Australia with very little traffic and a population that dies from fat not sport accidents. And if I fall on my head I don't harm anyone else.

What is next? steel cap shoes at McDonalds in case my super huge burger falls down?

I generally wear a helmet, because I have a family to look after. I'd not want to make them compulsory, though, for the odd occasion that I pick up my bike without my helmet to hand - like tonight, collecting it from the repair shop after work.

Seat belts are different, in that they were compulsorily fitted long before they were compulsorily used.

I've been disappointed that my dealer sells bikes without front and rear reflectors, and can't replace missing pedal reflectors

I generally wear a helmet, because I have a family to look after. I'd not want to make them compulsory, though, for the odd occasion that I pick up my bike without my helmet to hand - like tonight, collecting it from the repair shop after work.

Seat belts are different, in that they were compulsorily fitted long before they were compulsorily used.

I've been disappointed that my dealer sells bikes without front and rear reflectors, and can't replace missing pedal reflectors

I always use seat bells, but I am also against the law forcing me. I think it should be my decision. I never liked to be forced to something

Archived