Helmets

bobfish

I generally wear a helmet, because I have a family to look after. I'd not want to make them compulsory, though, for the odd occasion that I pick up my bike without my helmet to hand - like tonight, collecting it from the repair shop after work.

Seat belts are different, in that they were compulsorily fitted long before they were compulsorily used.

I've been disappointed that my dealer sells bikes without front and rear reflectors, and can't replace missing pedal reflectors

I always use seat bells, but I am also against the law forcing me. I think it should be my decision. I never liked to be forced to something

It would be very difficult to withhold medical treatment to people who cared so little for their own safety that they declined to use a seat belt.

SC

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally wear a helmet, because I have a family to look after. I'd not want to make them compulsory, though, for the odd occasion that I pick up my bike without my helmet to hand - like tonight, collecting it from the repair shop after work.

Seat belts are different, in that they were compulsorily fitted long before they were compulsorily used.

I've been disappointed that my dealer sells bikes without front and rear reflectors, and can't replace missing pedal reflectors

I always use seat bells, but I am also against the law forcing me. I think it should be my decision. I never liked to be forced to something

It would be very difficult to withhold medical treatment to people who cared so little for their own safety that they declined to use a seat belt.

SC

Well it is only for countries with free healthcare. If you think about every aspect, you would have to do the same with people who smoke, overweight, do dangerous sports (skiing). these things are more harmful than driving without safety belt. And where to beginn, where to end. At the end we would be in a communist style nanny state.

My opinion is regulate things that can harm others. So no drunk driving. need to have the breaks and steering of cars checked periodically, control the sale of antibiotics which wouldn't work anymore if overused, but on other things the state should leave me alone with all other regulations to protect me from myself....

I made 3 honest attempts to buy a helmet since they started to become popular, different shops, testing all in stock.

The feeling of discomfort was always so overwhelming that i couldn't bring it over me to buy one.

Cycling since early childhood, with hair- rising accidents and close calls, never broke a bone, only one head wound who required stitches.

Dont think a helmet is of much use when you get run over by a 10 wheeler.

Slightly off topic, but still about helmets:

Prior to moving to Thailand I taught snow skiing in the US. I'd say that 30% of the instructors wore helmets. Then one day one of our instructors came down a run that was ungroomed and not at all hard packed. He fell. He was one of the 30%er that wore a helmet. His helmet was split in two. Fast forward to the next weekend. Approximately 90% of the instructors were wearing helmets. Me too. Lol

I too have been cycling since childhood without a helmet, but nowadays I get a sort of creepy feeling when riding. Gut instinct says 'buy a helmet'. I've just taken my bike out of storage since moving back to the village. Driving in Chiang Mai just scared the crap out of me, but here in the village we have some pretty well maintained roads, and a few off the beaten track. I may just put the 'knobbie' tires back on the bike and spend my time on the dirt roads. But, I'm thinking that before I go that route, the next time in Chiang Mai I may need to buy a helmet. I'm just not sure what to get.

SC

Well it is only for countries with free healthcare. If you think about every aspect, you would have to do the same with people who smoke, overweight, do dangerous sports (skiing). these things are more harmful than driving without safety belt. And where to beginn, where to end. At the end we would be in a communist style nanny state.

My opinion is regulate things that can harm others. So no drunk driving. need to have the breaks and steering of cars checked periodically, control the sale of antibiotics which wouldn't work anymore if overused, but on other things the state should leave me alone with all other regulations to protect me from myself....

Look at a real nanny-state like Sweden. Pretty soon their children will be required to wear a helmet and body-armor just to go walk down the street (under adult supervision, of course). After that, they'll be required to 'bubble-wrap' their children for extra precaution. (Ok, just kidding on that last point.....maybe) whistling.gif Thank god I was raised in the 50s in the US when there was still a sembalance of sanity.

I resisted the adoption of wearing a helmet for a very long time. I am not a conformist by nature so you won’t find me wearing something to fit in with a particular group or conform to the mandates of others. You may have seen pictures I have posted wearing all black and pretty much covered from head to toe. I get some grief for what I choose to wear but I take some pride in that fact.

One time I was buying shorts and gloves in a triathlon shop in Hawaii when I noticed a selection of helmets. I had no intention of buy one but I started trying them on. To my surprise one of them was so light and comfortable that it even surpassed the comfort of the hat I used to wear.
With no hair, wearing nothing on my head is not an option. Since I have never fallen off my bike, safety was not my main concern but since I feel the need to cover my head, this helmet in conjunction with a Buff to block the sun reaching my skin, seemed the most comfortable option I had found. I may be stubborn about some things but when something works I go for it.
I really don’t care what others wear or why. Wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet, it is your choice in my opinion.

Just curious, but what brand and model did you buy? Although I still have most of my hair, I tend to shave it off during the hot season. I like your idea. Just a different type of hat and a way to keep the sun off my head.

I resisted the adoption of wearing a helmet for a very long time. I am not a conformist by nature so you won’t find me wearing something to fit in with a particular group or conform to the mandates of others. You may have seen pictures I have posted wearing all black and pretty much covered from head to toe. I get some grief for what I choose to wear but I take some pride in that fact.

One time I was buying shorts and gloves in a triathlon shop in Hawaii when I noticed a selection of helmets. I had no intention of buy one but I started trying them on. To my surprise one of them was so light and comfortable that it even surpassed the comfort of the hat I used to wear.
With no hair, wearing nothing on my head is not an option. Since I have never fallen off my bike, safety was not my main concern but since I feel the need to cover my head, this helmet in conjunction with a Buff to block the sun reaching my skin, seemed the most comfortable option I had found. I may be stubborn about some things but when something works I go for it.
I really don’t care what others wear or why. Wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet, it is your choice in my opinion.

Just curious, but what brand and model did you buy? Although I still have most of my hair, I tend to shave it off during the hot season. I like your idea. Just a different type of hat and a way to keep the sun off my head.

I’ve got the same helmet as Moonoi, the Giro Aeon. Very light and comfortable but not cheap.

Black%2520Knight%2520%2520001.jpg

I understand many people share that feeling but not me. No automobile accidents in all my years in Thailand. For three years I road a Ninja 650 around the north of Thailand and never even dropped it, let alone lost control or had an accident. Same thing on the mountain bike or road bike, I simply don’t tolerate mistakes or lapses in judgement when it comes to myself. For me falling off would be a sign that I am loosing it and need to move on to some other age appropriate form of activity.

For me falling off would be a sign that I am loosing it and need to move on to some other age appropriate form of activity.

2 Counter points:

1) I don't worry about my own skills. But I have serious doubts about some of the numbskulls with whom I occasionally have to share the roads and trails (and not unique to Thailand).

2) I'd hate to be totally incapacitated for life when I figure out I need to move on...or dead. Kind of limits the next hobby I'd want to take up.

I understand many people share that feeling but not me. No automobile accidents in all my years in Thailand. For three years I road a Ninja 650 around the north of Thailand and never even dropped it, let alone lost control or had an accident. Same thing on the mountain bike or road bike, I simply don’t tolerate mistakes or lapses in judgement when it comes to myself. For me falling off would be a sign that I am loosing it and need to move on to some other age appropriate form of activity.

But if Lao Khao Somchai takes you from behind with his pickup than you have no chance with the bicycle.....

Sure lightning could strike or an earthquake could cause the ground to open up right in front of you but it doesn’t server much purpose to worry about those things. Even those sorts of events give you some warning, like the ground shaking or a thunderstorm, so there should be plenty of time to get out of the way.

Just yesterday, on a 74 km ride I was riding on a very wide shoulder of a divided highway, when a big black truck suddenly appeared on the shoulder coming right at me. Scooters on the wrong side of the road are not a problem but the truck didn’t leave much room to maneuver.
We were both paying attention but I could have easily avoided him even if he hadn’t seen me. I slowed down, he slowed down, he moved one way and I moved the other and we both went happily on our way. I don’t insist on having my own way and always seem to find a way to avoid problems.
I don’t have an explanation for why I have never had a problem in my nearly 40 years in Thailand or why others encounter one problem after another. Perhaps it is just luck but I don’t really think so.

Sure lightning could strike or an earthquake could cause the ground to open up right in front of you but it doesn’t server much purpose to worry about those things. Even those sorts of events give you some warning, like the ground shaking or a thunderstorm, so there should be plenty of time to get out of the way.

Just yesterday, on a 74 km ride I was riding on a very wide shoulder of a divided highway, when a big black truck suddenly appeared on the shoulder coming right at me. Scooters on the wrong side of the road are not a problem but the truck didn’t leave much room to maneuver.
We were both paying attention but I could have easily avoided him even if he hadn’t seen me. I slowed down, he slowed down, he moved one way and I moved the other and we both went happily on our way. I don’t insist on having my own way and always seem to find a way to avoid problems.
I don’t have an explanation for why I have never had a problem in my nearly 40 years in Thailand or why others encounter one problem after another. Perhaps it is just luck but I don’t really think so.

That one road leading to the Don Sak Pier (to Koh Samui) I have frequently minibus and trucks passing me at very high speed very narrow. (trucks I am afraid of the tribar as it may suck me into the truck with the reduced control). They drive what the engine can do. If one get it wrong the hit me. (there is also wind, at 150km/h you can be pushed a bit to the left in the minivan)

But well......I avoid problems, so I avoid that street as good as possible......

Same thing on the mountain bike or road bike, I simply don’t tolerate mistakes or lapses in judgement when it comes to myself. For me falling off would be a sign that I am loosing it and need to move on to some other age appropriate form of activity.

I'd say that at least for mountainbiking, this attitude would be counterproductive. Crashing is undeniably a part of the sport, although we all try to avoid crashes, of course. Since riding trails is far less predictable than riding roads small mistakes are inevitable, even with advanced skills and experience.

Besides, any MTB discipline involves taking (calculated) risks when riding competitively or learning new skills. It is simply not possible to win races or advance bike handling skills while playing it safe.

Cheers, CM-Expat

To illustrate my point, have a look at the following video clip. These are pictures from the 2015 UCI world cup opening in Rotorua, NZ showing a number of riders passing through an extremely tricky, slippery, off-camber turn. Many of them are world class pro riders and even they fall.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/Corner-Carnage-Enduro-World-Series-Rotorua,28517/sspomer,2

Cheers, CM-Expat

To illustrate my point, have a look at the following video clip. These are pictures from the 2015 UCI world cup opening in Rotorua, NZ showing a number of riders passing through an extremely tricky, slippery, off-camber turn. Many of them are world class pro riders and even they fall.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/Corner-Carnage-Enduro-World-Series-Rotorua,28517/sspomer,2

Cheers, CM-Expat

I don't think I'd like to ride like that on the public highway. Not with other traffic on the road.

Personally, I just enjoy getting out in the sunshine, seeing a bit more of the city,and burning a few calories. I've more or less given up on the tour de france now.

SC

Cheers, CM-Expat

Looks like a couple of them ditched the bike even though they may have made it through! Some neat skills displayed though

Looks like a couple of them ditched the bike even though they may have made it through! Some neat skills displayed though

A little off on a tangent (and referring to another current TVF thread), but it's amusing to me that Trek has recalled a quick release that has caused 3 reported accidents out of a million units they sold in North America.

In the linked video (http://www.vitalmtb....28517/sspomer,2) we see a blind curve with a tree at the bottom and a natural "clothesline" that could take someone's head off. Causing accidents on 8 out of 10 who take the curve.

Yet which one of them is the "big bad seller of death", and which one gets all the kudos and likes for a thrilling experience?

Archived