Lottery office pushes for online lottery

Lite Beer

Can anyone actually explain how the Thai lottery system works . I have seen sellers that seem to have multiple tickets with THE SAME 6 DIGIT NUMBER. So does this mean if that number comes up the prize is shared ? What DOES happen with unsold tickets?

I also thought that currently the selling of tickets was a " task" given to the poor and low income earners as a way for them to obtain an income...............

local to me I see " vendors " on pushbikes selling tickets at 10 or 20 baht more than the local shop sellers. I assumed that this was the vendors cut !

A true lottery ( on line or otherwise) would be where the buyer HAS NO CHOICE in the ticket number .......it is totally random.

Otherwise the "game" would be LOTTO ......not lottery....where the buyer selects his own numbers , be it 2 digit , three digit or 6 digit number.

Do you really want this service to pass to the BIG BOYS at 7/11, tesco, Big C ------who could probably add the necessary software VERY QUICKLY to their POS systems..................or stay with the MUM and POP stores( but then who would pay for the hardware, cabling, selling terminals,landlines etc , etc ).

Thailand is stuck in the last century in many ways and the lottery system is just one of those.

It does look as though Thai PBS are using up to date technology however, as the article reads like it's been produced by Google Translate.

The sooner the better, the "Poor Sellers " are scamming the whole Thai people, i asked how much for the ticket and was quoted 120 bht for an 80 bht ticket, the PM opened the flood gates when he said they could sell at 90

Its no excuse to say we have to OVERPRICE to cover the non-returns its just plain GREED and the sooner its ONLINE the better it will be, people will soon learn how to do it by watching others or by doing the 6/49 tickets as they do in other counties bigger stores like Tesco, these " Poor Sellers " are doing quite nicely thank-you coffee1.gif

I say just leave the Thai lottery alone. So what if it does not use the latest technology? Neither does the ma and pa food cart at the corner. So what if other countries do it differently? Most of you probably live her precisely because Thailand is not like everywhere else. And so what if people choose to pay more than the official rate for the ticket of their choice? That's not greed, that's how markets work and that's what markets are all about. Not so different from people paying exorbitant amounts for a special number plate for their car. The entire shebang is voluntary. If you don't like it, don't participate.

Rather than try to understand the workings of the Thai lottery I could try something simpler to pass the time, such as learning to read and write the language and publishing the first "True History of Thailand" epic in the Thai language within the next six months.

A street vendor showed me her tray of maybe twenty remaining tickets at midday on the day of the draw. Most were 00 or 11. I pointed this out to her and she says nobody buy, not lucky numbers.

She wanted 110 for each one.I offered to buy all of them at 80 baht each because I always do 0 or 00 when playing roulette and all the 00 tickets intrigued me.

Needless to say, she didn't see the logic of discounting to minimise her potential loss.

I can only hope that when she was sitting in her room after the draw that night with the majority of those tickets instead of my baht, that the theory of supply, demand, and pricing snuck up on her.

As it turns out I saved money - no zeroes at all in the winning numbers that day.

If you are playing roulette tables with a 0 and 00 you should consider changing to Blackjack.

Why doesn't TH offer a lottery system similar to those found in many many other country. 6/49 type where one can pick their own numbers at 711 etc?

The current system is to say - straight from the dark ages.

I think you're referring to ball games aren't you.

The Thai lottery is a paper ticket which, incidentally, they also have in the Netherlands. https://www.staatsloterij.nl/loten

With the Dutch system at least, you can choose the last digit of a six figure ticket, but that's all.

Lottery in Thailand is no longer a question of good influence or bad influence because it has been in existence for many years ;

do not underestimate the mentality of our own people - whether its white collars or blue collars citizens, all of them have had

bought the existing " traditional method " controversial lottery tickets - time to move forward to the digital age, with the

online lottery ( lotto - vending machines ) where almost non-existence of manipulation of draws ( as its computerised ),

every citizen gets to choose their favorite numbers, price are controlled, bigger winning prizes, reduced the black market share,

etc.

Look at all the developing countries within our neighbors such as Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and coming soon, Vietnam,

for years ( except Vietnam ), these countries have had successfully been running the online lottery without eroding the moral

of the people and have contributed vastly to the charity and the betterment of the society.

There will and always be a small fraction of organisation that will oppose the online lottery, which on several occasions, since 2001 when the online lottery were first being explored, awarded with many Stop and Go, the Government had bowed to their demands and successful stopping the Government from moving forward with the online lottery but they don't speak for the majority of us.

Lets hope this time its for real.....moving towards the digital age........

I recall a previous PM Abhisit...had the online system all up and running with about 2 weeks to changeover date...completely online...then suddenly and mysteriously the plug was pulled on the system.....2...3 years ago...?

Hadn't his Govt at the time even purchased the computers to run the online system..?...and then reneged on payment to the suppliers...something along those lines ....

Anybody else recall this...??

Yes, I do remember. Then Mark came up with illogical excuses to cancel (like it would put all the blind ticket sellers out of their 'jobs' [actually have never seen a blind ticket seller] or that minors would buy tickets from lottery machines. However, after Mark cancelled it was also reported one of the largest lottery ticket distributors, who would probably go out of business with lottery machines installed, was a significant contributor to the Democrat party.

• 4 months later...

Based on previous threads on the Thai lottery, an online lottery would be a problem for some purchasers. Some posters here have said that they want to continue to pay 110 baht for an 80 baht ticket. If buying with a rabbit card or similar from a machine, they would be forced to pay the correct price. Of course, there are plenty of street kids peddling overpriced items for their controllers. The money could be given to them instead.

I prefer to have the actual stamped paper ticket in my hand, than having some numbers on a website. Even the option of printing from the site doesn't really hinder my galloping trust issues on this one.