Filipino arrested for slashing throat of old woman

Thaivisa News

Chiang Mai:- A 19 year-old Filipino teenager was arrested Saturday for having allegedly slashing the throat of a 73-year-old Thai woman in a computer game style.

Muang Chiang Mai police chief Pol Col Wirayuth Prasopchokechai said Joseph Paul Lasa Sumatra was arrested for having allegedly murdered and robbed Jinda Pongsunthia of B10,000 in cash at her house four days ago.

Police said Joseph’s parents are renting a house from Jinda’s daughter. The rented house is just 300 metres away from Jinda’s house.

Wirayuth, said police suspected that the assailant might come from the neighborhood and they checked the rented house and found strong evidences to implicate Joseph in the murder, including blood-stained gloves and shirt.

Wirayuth said the teenager admitted that he killed Jinda. The teenager allegedly climbed over the fence and crept behind Jinda and killed her. Normally, Jinda was sitting on the house’s porch looking at the front of the house while she was waiting for her daughter to return home.

According to Wirayuth, Joseph came behind Jinda and muffled her mouth with one hand and slashed her throat with the other while she was still surprised. He said he learned the technique from a computer game in which the main character was an assassin.

Joseph then searched the house and took Jinda’s cash.

Wirayuth said Joseph was staying alone at the rented house four days ago because his father, who is a pastor, and his mother, who is an English teacher, were staying in Lampang.

Joseph told police he wanted money to buy something so he decided to rob the old woman.

Filipino gamer held for murder
THE SUNDAY NATION

CHIANG MAI: -- A 19-year-old Filipino man has been arrested for allegedly killing a 73-year-old female neighbour in a home invasion in Chiang Mai's Muang district four days ago.

Josef Paul Lasa Sumatra reportedly confessed to police that he killed Jinda Phongsantia on February 25 in a manner copied from a violent online game - slit the woman's throat - so he could top-up his game card. He allegedly stole Bt10,000 in cash and valuables.

On Friday, police and Filipino consulate officials went with a search warrant to Sumatra's house in Tambon Pa Daed, where he lives with his parents, 300 metres from the victim. They found evidence linking him to the crime.

The suspect reportedly confessed in front of police and his parents that he killed Jinda while his parents were in another province.

Muang Chiang Mai superintendent Pol Colonel Weerayuth Prasopchokchai said Sumatra killed Jinda after approaching her from behind, covering her mouth and slitting her throat.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Filipino-gamer-held-for-murder-30255091.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-01

I hope he wasn't coerced into confessing to the crime. Whenever something goes wrong, the foreigner living in the vicinity is always the number suspect.

Wirayuth, said police suspected that the assailant might come from the neighborhood and they checked the rented house and found strong evidences to implicate Joseph in the murder, including blood-stained gloves and shirt.

Since the foreigners (Joseph's) room had evidence that they can connect to the victim, his nation of origin is irrelevant.

Doesn't look good for game boy does it?

• Like 1

What never ceases to amaze me, is how quickly (next day, usually, without any forensics proof)) the "ever astute' Thai police always manage to extract a confession of guilt, from a murder suspect. Perhaps the Thai police should offer confession extraction technique courses to Scotland Yard, the FBI and a host of other world-wide, professional detective agencies. whistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360
  • Like 1

What a crazy thing to do for so little and trivial thing as a game credit... truly a new low for reasons

Yeah sure. And btw, I have some prime Ocean Front property in Arizon for sale. Very cheapcoffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

I hope he wasn't coerced into confessing to the crime. Whenever something goes wrong, the foreigner living in the vicinity is always the number suspect.

So where's the usual group photo, displaying the array of police officials (with one hand on the suspect' sholder), surrounding the "ashamed-faced", lowered-head, confessed suspect, sitting down @ a table?coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

RIP.

The thug obviously didn't make it as an English teacher!

A 19 year-old Farang school teacher, in the province? Huh? Again, would you also buy my Ocean Front Property, for sale in Arizona? I'm selling it cheap, to the very first believer.coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

What never ceases to amaze me, is how quickly (next day, usually, without any forensics proof)) the "ever astute' Thai police always manage to extract a confession of guilt, from a murder suspect. Perhaps the Thai police should offer confession extraction technique courses to Scotland Yard, the FBI and a host of other world-wide, professional detective agencies. whistling.gif

And they used this technique in front of his parents.

• Like 1

I hope he gets what he deserves. RIP to the old lady. One thing though I do not agree with is the way he said a game made him do this. Any normal person who plays a game or watches a movie does not then just stroll out of the house and decide to re-create a scene from either. I think this guy has some serious mental issues and should also be dealt with accordingly. Sad times...............sad.png

Wrong. He never said the game made him do it.

"He said he learned the technique from a computer game in which the main character was an assassin."

He wanted money. That is what made him do it.

• Like 1

Is it possible that anyone conveniently forgot to add that this "Filipino" had possibly been in Thailand long enough to think and act more "Thai" than "Filipino", thus rendering the "Filipino" part as merely a reference to where his mother and father came from? Or is he a half half and worth only mentioning the non-Thai portion?

There are certainly a lot of first, second, third and fourth generation Chinese living here, who are genetically Chinese, yet call themselves Thai.

I am simply curious about that.

Since the foreigners (Joseph's) room had evidence that they can connect to the victim, his nation of origin is irrelevant.

Doesn't look good for game boy does it?

His nation of origin is irrelevant, regardless of any supposed "forensic" evidence found. Of course the suspect was stupid enough to take blood-stained evidence (directly linking him to the crime), back to his room? Huh? The nonsense that the news reporters, who post to this forum, is unfathomable. Apparently they report "whatever" they are told to report whistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

Is it possible that anyone conveniently forgot to add that this "Filipino" had possibly been in Thailand long enough to think and act more "Thai" than "Filipino", thus rendering the "Filipino" part as merely a reference to where his mother and father came from? Or is he a half half and worth only mentioning the non-Thai portion?

There are certainly a lot of first, second, third and fourth generation Chinese living here, who are genetically Chinese, yet call themselves Thai.

I am simply curious about that.

I think you may have a rose-tinted spectacled view of the Philippines. Whilst murder rates are sky high in Thailand, I can assure you when it comes to violent robbery, the Philippines is a much more dangerous place than Thailand.

Indeed. No doubt (whatsoever) about that fact!

What the hell is this foreigner scumbag doing in Thailand? He comes here to murder people? Put him in the slammer! The last thing any respectable Thai person expects is some foreigner murdering them in their own backyard. What a brazen attack. Obviously this scumbag won't ever see the light of day again.

• Like 1

What the hell is this foreigner scumbag doing in Thailand? He comes here to murder people? Put him in the slammer! The last thing any respectable Thai person expects is some foreigner murdering them in their own backyard. What a brazen attack. Obviously this scumbag won't ever see the light of day again.

Today is Sunday. The day of rest, even for the usual entourage of ranters on this forum. whistling.gif

The 19 year-old Filipino will live to survive this news headline, to see another day. The poor old lady, who was shamefully attacked (from behiind), will not enjoy any more time with her grandchildren. That is the real tragedy of this topic. I wonder if that old lady owned a considerable amount of real estate, in her name? coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

No forensics? The bloody clothes might be specifically relevant forensics...