Lloyds UK - Bangkok Bank or Siam

I want to transfer some money via my online banking from Lloyds UK into either Siam or Bangkok Bank. From the information I have acquired from this forum it looks as if Bangkok Bank is the simpler Thai bank to use for Lloyds. My issue is I of course want the currency exchange to happen in Thailand and not using the crappy 45 baht/GBP Lloyds are offering.

My question is when using the Lloyds online transfer system is there a clear section where you can inform Lloyds that you want the money transferred in GBP and not in Thai baht. There are a couple of threads here where Lloyds have converted the money in the UK to Baht and clearly this isn't what one would want to happen.

Many thanks.

If you have a Bangkok Bank account already and if you arent sure how to use Lloyds online service to get them to transfer in GBP, why not just use the Bangkok Bank transfer service?

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

• Like 1

When making the international payment there is a drop down box labelled "Currency your payment will be sent in" which needs to be switched to GBP. A warning will then pop saying this may increase cost and time etc.

I use Lloyds UK to BKK bank in Thailand quite often and it seems to work well and is in my account within 2 days max, for some reason it is faster than when I transfer from my Lloyds offshore to Thailand which often takes several days.

• Like 2

Cheers guys this is all great information and so fast as well. Much appreciated.

I will certainly look into the Bangkok Bank transfer service.

I have accounts at BB and Siam although I am currently not based in Thailand this will be just a one-off payment.

If you have a Bangkok Bank account already and if you arent sure how to use Lloyds online service to get them to transfer in GBP, why not just use the Bangkok Bank transfer service?

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

So it's a question of checking who has the best exchange the London branch or the Thai branch before you transfer your cash and the charge differs by 5GBP?

Interesting. Many thanks.

So it's a question of checking who has the best exchange the London branch or the Thai branch before you transfer your cash and the charge differs by 5GBP?

Interesting. Many thanks.

I would expect the rate always to be better in Thailand though obviously it would be wise to check.

You might also want to consider that any exchange made outside of Thailand may not allow you to use the funds for some future condo purchase, though of course you may not care about that.

The Bangkok Bank service seems quite a good option for those who already have a Bangkok Bank account here, and it may save the inconvenience of trying to arrange a large foreign transfer with another bank from a distance.