What kind of wine, champagne do you drink in Thailand and where do you buy

Pik

I'm usually not looking for cheap but I'm more after quality. Even 'good' wines sometimes do not taste well. Maybe it's the storage temperature or maybe the bottles have been keep in a 'standing' position (so that the cork was dried out).

Also keeping the wine at home is a bit of a problem (as long as you don't have a special fridge to keep the wine).

All recommendations are welcome.

I know someone from kingpower who supplies me with all products available, at duty free prices.

I do not host weddings regulary, so single bottles are enough for me.

Champagne- wise we prefer Krug Clos D'Ambonnay 1998, but as a day to day drink, mixed with orange juice, a Krug Clos Du Mesnil 2003 is ok for us.

I know someone from kingpower who supplies me with all products available, at duty free prices.

Champagne- wise we prefer Krug Clos D'Ambonnay 1998, but as a day to day drink, mixed with orange juice, a Krug Clos Du Mesnil 2003 is ok for us.

Krug with OJ???

Baller.....

OB

You seriously mix wine with juice????? OMG my wife call this "people from the mountain"!!!

Your signature down below your posts; "God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him."

Is SOOOO true..... You really did!!

Glegolo

You seriously mix wine with juice????? OMG my wife call this "people from the mountain"!!!

Your signature down below your posts; "God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him."

Is SOOOO true..... You really did!!

Glegolo

A mimosa is a great drink. Especially for a Sunday brunch! LOL The ladies seem to live a kir royale. It's not bad. But I'd only do it with cheap champagne.

When we get a bad bottle, we mix it with manao soda. Quite refreshing on a hot day. We got this idea on summer when we were in Spain. Quite good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinto_de_verano

OP: tell us where you live. It might be easier for us to help you out.

• Like 1

Champagne with orange juice, don't they call it ' bucks fizz '

I only drank Krug 2 or 3 times and it wasn't a Clos... Who in his right mind would mix a Champagne beyond 1500£ the bottle with OJ?

It was a JOKE.

Puhhhh... you did get me there... OK so all good than......I thought God were dead..

hahahaha

Glegolo

• Like 1

I only drank Krug 2 or 3 times and it wasn't a Clos... Who in his right mind would mix a Champagne beyond 1500£ the bottle with OJ?

It was a JOKE.

I can't even imagine drinking such an expensive bottle! LOL 1,000B is pushing my limit! LOL

wai2.gif

Procecco is ok for bubbly

best cask wine is Peter Vella 4ltr only 11 % so no real headache the next day - just a little fuzzy

Monte Clare - free mule kick in the head hangover in every box

Bodegas was ok when it came from Chile and then they switched to Australia and for some reason they started mixing fruit juice with it

had a few bottles of red from Jacobs Creek Australia - one was bad and one was good so I think its all about storing and transport.

Tesco in Nong khai have bottles of wine on special offer found some good Chilean red for 99 baht a bottle and last week they had Hardys stamp of Australia red and white for 162 baht a bottle and I Hardys rosa same price but it a matter of being there when the offers are on other wise I buy it all

But there is a thai wine but I have only found it in one small shop on the way to udon Thani red and it's called De pupanne wine of thailand original Mao red wine dry red wine www.thaiwinnery.com product of sakonnakhon thailand

There are similar wines from different areas that taste like vinegar this one is lovely and priced between 190 baht and 250 baht a bottle

I tend to stay well away from Champagne here, it is just too expensive for what it is. On the odd occasion when we want a fizzy wine I look for a dry Prosseco, there are some that are quite palatable and will not break the bank.

When I take my wife shopping I leave her to it and I disappear off to the wine section, where I browse and look for deals. When I come accross a good deal I will buy 6 bottles, sometimes more depending on the deal and if I am familiar with the wine.

By doing this I have really expanded my tastes, I used to be fairly conservative and stick to old country wines, however, now I am really enjoying wines from Chille and Argentina. Of course there are some great wines from Australia and California too, but I feel that the better bargains are in the South American selections.

As to where I buy it, there is no one place, I have found bargains at The Villa, Foodland, Big C Extra and Central (Tops), I enjoy spending the time looking at wine whilst the wife buys the beans and washing up liquid.

For me, I cannot bring myself to pay more than 1,000. baht for a bottle and usually I aim to stay under 750. It can be done, recently I bought a case of Cabernet Sauvignon that usually sold for 1,100 a bottle, I paid 754.

Looking for the bargains, trying new countries is all part of the fun, however, when all said and done it is only a drink and it is only good if you like it, the cost is irrelevant the only thing that matters is, does it taste nice to you?

• Like 2

If I need a very good bottle or three I go over the border into Myanmar ,only 30 mins drive away.Wolf Blass Cab. sauv. 350B. So all depends where you live. If I lived way ,way down south I would do a run up here once a year just to take the wife over the border and get a few bottles, have a break . They have run out of Southern Comfort last time I went over .pity 350B. In Makro right now there is Oz. Castle Creek dry red , not at all bad and under 500B for 2 ltr.

i go for the sparkling bubbly from the center of the refrigerated glass case. no doubt you have seen it in its elegantly crafted red and white clear glass bottle. sometimes i have been known to pay in excess of 8 baht a bottle as one has to shell out for real quality. it gets put in a environmentally friendly puulastic baggie for the short trip home, then its quickly drawn towards the antique metal opener and voila it's mine:)

I am addicted to Chardonnay. Tesco Lotus is only 6 kilometres from where I live, and has lots of it from Australia, US, South America and Europe.

My wife however, is less fortunate. She is hooked on real italian moscato. Most of the time we only find this in Tops, when visiting Chiang Mai or Bangkok.

Macro offers some good wines too, but is too pricy.

Procecco is ok for bubbly

best cask wine is Peter Vella 4ltr only 11 % so no real headache the next day - just a little fuzzy

Monte Clare - free mule kick in the head hangover in every box

Bodegas was ok when it came from Chile and then they switched to Australia and for some reason they started mixing fruit juice with it

had a few bottles of red from Jacobs Creek Australia - one was bad and one was good so I think its all about storing and transport.

Peter Vella is okay if you like your wine mixed with fruit juice, as are many others, and your point on the Chilean wine is correct, although the "Bodegas Centenarus" was wine from Chile with no fruit juice added, but the Australian "Bodegas Valley" as you quite rightly say is Australian Wine with added fruit juice.

For my money, Jacobs Creek has gone downhill over the past few years, whereas once it was a good solid standby, now I find it to be very average, even though they have tried to lift its profile with pure varietals on the label.

Really don't know why there is a need to mix wine with fruit juice, because it is not as though there is a wine shortage worldwide.

You mix a good quality champers with orange juice lol