What kind of wine, champagne do you drink in Thailand and where do you buy

Pik

My go to wine is the mt pleasant Philip Shiraz from villa. Think it's 850bt. Decent.

OB

Mine would be the Taylors Promised Land wine at around 700 baht a bottle, also very decent.

I have not tried either of these, but i will do now. Thanks for the tips.

Only places I've seen in Ubon with a selection of wine are Tesco and TopMarket. Haven't found a decent tasting proseco, cava or Spumante and Moët imperial costs twice what it does in Europe or the U.S.

Couple of good ideas about going for Prosseco rather then Champagne or indeed Cava if it is sold over there (I have never really looked for it).... as Cava and Prosseco are Champagne by another name.... only global copyright law stops the makers of those types of sparking bubbly from calling it Champagne. You will find that there are particular brands of Prosseco and Cava that suit your taste and I would guess they would be far more kinder to your wallet then champagne prices in Thailand.

Really don't know why there is a need to mix wine with fruit juice, because it is not as though there is a wine shortage worldwide.

It's "done" for import tax reasons. I would not worry too much, in reality, there is no fruit juice in the wine you buy...

I know someone from kingpower who supplies me with all products available, at duty free prices.

I do not host weddings regulary, so single bottles are enough for me.

Champagne- wise we prefer Krug Clos D'Ambonnay 1998, but as a day to day drink, mixed with orange juice, a Krug Clos Du Mesnil 2003 is ok for us.

Champagne with orange juice, don't they call it ' bucks fizz '

Yes. it's a Bucks Fizz

I know someone from kingpower who supplies me with all products available, at duty free prices.

Champagne- wise we prefer Krug Clos D'Ambonnay 1998, but as a day to day drink, mixed with orange juice, a Krug Clos Du Mesnil 2003 is ok for us.

change your acronym to " cheapcharly "

I clean my tees usually with H XOP !

You mix a good quality champers with orange juice lol

No !!

He takes a good fresh Orange juice , and put some else in !

or you leave the orange juice out for halv an day , and it tastes like mix with Champagn !!

Really don't know why there is a need to mix wine with fruit juice, because it is not as though there is a wine shortage worldwide.

It's "done" for import tax reasons. I would not worry too much, in reality, there is no fruit juice in the wine you buy...

In Thailand maybe, however the cost of real wine in other countries is not that prohibitive.....see my post on this from the Montclair thread where an article in a NZ blog was commenting on this "crap" being sold in the UK and perhaps finding its way to NZ.........

Quote from the article; "But much more seriously, having this crap among real wine will devalue the sector and the brands. New Zealand wine makers must be proactive at making sure their product stands out as genuine".

That is my stance as well and something I have been harping on about in this thread for some time.

The puzzling thing for me is why there is a need to do it (add fruit juice to wine, that is) and I say this for the following reasons:

– It is not as if there is a worldwide shortage of wine, and more often than not there is a glut of wine, so there is no need to mix wine with anything else to make it go round.

–Surely wine lovers will want to drink wine, not something which has been adulterated with fruit juice?

– One can still purchase an everyday bottle of red wine in most countries (apart from Thailand and perhaps a few others with exorbitant taxes) for the equivalent of around NZ$12 a bottle, sometimes much lower if they are "cleanskins", for example. So it doesn't seem possible that price is too much of an issue.

–This stuff will not improve with age or develop characteristics which sets wine apart from other drinks.

The really annoying thing about it, and one which this article points out, is that very often the fact that the wine has fruit juice mixed with it is hidden from the purchaser, so they are not playing straight with the public.

You seriously mix wine with juice????? OMG my wife call this "people from the mountain"!!!

Your signature down below your posts; "God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him."

Is SOOOO true..... You really did!!

Glegolo

A mimosa is a great drink. Especially for a Sunday brunch! LOL The ladies seem to live a kir royale. It's not bad. But I'd only do it with cheap champagne.

When we get a bad bottle, we mix it with manao soda. Quite refreshing on a hot day. We got this idea on summer when we were in Spain. Quite good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinto_de_verano

OP: tell us where you live. It might be easier for us to help you out.

To mix with O-juice?only a 1991 Dom Perignon makes the deal...555

Or when I was younger and skiing mulled wine thinned down with a double shot of vodka...