Help! Stuff In My Air-con.

nikster

I need some help with my air con. I turned it on this morning, turned it on outside air, and heard a great big slurping sound, like tons of stuff was sucked in.

Then, the fan made a very loud and strange noise. I have had some leaves in my aircon before, and they came out when I turned it on all the way - tried that, no effect, except an even worse very loud noise. I tried that for a little bit, then I gave up, didn't want to damage the system.

I still think this might be relatively easy. This is a brand new Fortuner so I am a bit wary of the local mechanics screwing around with it. This is the only Fortuner in town we are in the deep country here. These guys are great when it comes to fixing a 15 year old engine with a piece of twisted metal and a hammer, but I am sure they have never worked on a Fortuner before and it might come out in worse shape than it went in.

I don't have an english manual, let alone a repair manual... does anybody know what to do? I am thinking there may be service access for just such a case, some simple thing that I can unscrew and clean out whatever got stuck in the fan. In case it's really screwed up I will bring it back to Toyota of course, but that's far away - 3h drive through the mountains.

But I don't think so, I think all that happened is that loads of crap that came off the inside of our leaf-roof carport congregated in the air intakes, and when I switched to outside air it got all sucked in.

Anything easy I can do? It should be clear from the question that I am not the mechanic kind of guy, but I do know how to hold a screwdriver...

The noise is coming from the round thing right under the passenger side dashboard which looks like it would house a fan. It sounds like someting stuck in a fan or a bent fan.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd rather have a mouse to deal with that the millions of ants and eggs that inhabited my cars aircon a few years ago.Even after spraying into the vents several times I was getting covered in ants every time I switched the aircon on!Just as well they weren't the sort that bite.

Final update: A mouse had made a nice little nest in my Air-con. Country living!!

Many years ago I started my Isuzu Trooper on a wintry morning and there was an awful squeal from the engine compartment. Switched off and lifted the hood. Found that a cat had gone to sleep on the warm engine cover and had fallen into the fan. Not a pretty sight (the cat and the engine compartment!)

Currently, solitary wasps have taken to building there mud nests under the lip of the rear door of the Fortuner if left parked up for a couple of days. Probably more under the chassis.

Ants in the car? Yes, had those too. They obviously had a nest somewhere underneath and I had to take it to a carwash and get it hoisted and pressure washed before I got rid of them.

Oh, then there was the snake..............

Welcome to Thailand.

how's the mouse ?

Well, since you are asking - the mouse wasn't home when they fixed the Air-Con.

The next day, I was going to Mae Hong Son, going around 50 kph on a mountain road when my mate said "hey, I can see your mouse, it's right there by the windshield wipers".

I thought he was joking of course, but then suddenly a mouse jumped james-bond-like onto the windshield of the driving car, then tried to get from there into the side window, hanging off of the side by its arms, the back dangling in the wind. I was fully expecting it to try to punch my mate unconscious and force its way in when the wind got the better of it and blew it away.

That was about 100 kilometers into the journey so I don't think this particular mouse will be coming back :o