Short term car insurance in UK as non-resident Brit.

Tried searching, but only found a 2 year old thread that didn't provide an answer.

Looking for 10 day insurance on my sister's car. I have UK DL + 5 year Thai DL.

Anyone had any success.

Please no comments on renewing UK DL while living in Thailand wai.gif

^^ Not sure you can. Believe as normally not resident, you have to do it as an expat. Did this last year on family member's car, but can't for the life of me remember the company (could be dayinsure). It was all online and they email the policy as a PDF. Had the car for a week/10 days (70-80 quid rings a bell).

• Like 1

get sister to add you to her insurance, may be as cheap to find a cheap car rental.

I will ask her, but not sure if that will be possible for a non resident, or if she'll want to risk her no-claims with a resident of Thailand, even one still alive after 15 years on the roads here.

Car rental might be the way to go. If using Thai DL is it a problem if my credit card address (UK) doesn't match?

^^ Not sure you can. Believe as normally not resident, you have to do it as an expat. Did this last year on family member's car, but can't for the life of me remember the company (could be dayinsure). It was all online and they email the policy as a PDF. Had the car for a week/10 days (70-80 quid rings a bell).

Tried dayinsure online, but as soon as I put my Thai address (there is provision for non UK address), I get the "sorry, no can do" screen! Sure you didn't kid them you're UK resident?

get sister to add you to her insurance, may be as cheap to find a cheap car rental.

I will ask her, but not sure if that will be possible for a non resident, or if she'll want to risk her no-claims with a resident of Thailand, even one still alive after 15 years on the roads here.

Car rental might be the way to go. If using Thai DL is it a problem if my credit card address (UK) doesn't match?

Car rental should be fine, my Thai license address also doesn't match my Thai or UK issued cards, not that they can read the address on the license in any case.

• Like 1

your op said you had a UK licence is that not the case

I have a UK DL, but if renting, would prefer to use Th DL due to the grey area of UK DL still being valid with my non UK residency. I would prefer this thread to not get hijacked by that debate.

I have a UK DL, but if renting, would prefer to use Th DL due to the grey area of UK DL still being valid with my non UK residency. I would prefer this thread to not get hijacked by that debate.

good luck with that, I'm out

• Like 1

If going the car rental route have a look at Questor Insurance for excess insurance.

https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/buy-insurance/hire-car-hire-excess.aspx

I had a look at that site. It asks where you are permanently resident for tax purposes. If you live in Thailand & are only visiting UK, what is the correct legal answer? If you give incorrect info, the insurance might be invalid?

If going the car rental route have a look at Questor Insurance for excess insurance.

https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/buy-insurance/hire-car-hire-excess.aspx

I had a look at that site. It asks where you are permanently resident for tax purposes. If you live in Thailand & are only visiting UK, what is the correct legal answer? If you give incorrect info, the insurance might be invalid?

That company doesn't seem to cover residents of Thailand who wish to cover their car hire CDW excess, this company does https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/?gclid=CJu83eGfjcMCFVEpjgodX3MAjA#2 at least Thailand is in the drop down box.

I paid £40 for annual cover using my Thai address and credit card.

• Like 1

you cant do that and if the cops catch you your in the doo doo, if you have a valid UK license you cant use your Thai one

The UK non-residency thing has nothing to do with it

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to MESmith for missing your PM.

Last few years i have been able to get insurance cover for my parent's car during trips back, by getting them to switch their cover to Direct Line. Direct Line allow their customers to add an extra driver to the policy. In the case of non-resident extra drivers, they do have a time limit of no more than 30 days in a year, but that is the only real downside. Price wise it is not bad at all. Forget the exact price but i think about 5 pounds a day.

• Like 1

you cant do that and if the cops catch you your in the doo doo, if you have a valid UK license you cant use your Thai one

The UK non-residency thing has nothing to do with it

If your are non-resident then you cannot have a UK driving license.