Scooter and the law

kiloweet

After watching this excellent short video on scooters and the law I'm feeling a lot less comfortable driving here. The concern is the legal situation if we should have an accident. I have no travel medical coverage but my partner who rides on the back does. I presume it becomes invalid.

And what do the police do if we're involved in an accident with only a regular driving license from our country (Canada in my case)?

Your thoughts appreciated?

If you're here for a short period of time (60 days? 90 days? I can't remember, perhaps someone else can clarify) you're allowed to use your home country's license. If you're here longer, you're supposed to get a Thai license.

As for your travel insurance, you should check with your insurance company as policies probably vary.

Your home country license is not recognized here. You either need an international one or get a thai license. Easy enough to get both. With information how to do so obtained via Google in 5 minutes.

Is your home country license valid for motorbikes? Then you can maybe get a thai license at the DLT without doing all the tests.

Canada has separate licenses for cars and bikes, unlike some other countries that allow to ride a up to certain size CC bikes on car's license.

It takes 5 minutes to get an international permit, but you have to be in Canada.

Funny thing though, when I started driving in Thailand, one of the times I got pulled over (in BKK), I gave the copper my Canadian lic and my international permit, which he took, glanced at it and gave back to me. Then he went around the other side to talk to my wife. whistling.gif

If I drive alone, they usually wave me off when they notice a farang driver.

Only one time I got pulled over on a bike was in isaan when a copper jumped out from behind a tree after noticing that I crossed a double solid lane when passing some slow farm pickup. I flipped my visor up and and his ticket book disappeared back in his pocket. Again he went to talk to my wife who was sitting behind. Later she told me he complimented the bike, asked where were we going (Phetchaboon) and advised on a shorter route (which we avoided and stayed on the main highways) and also advised not to cross the solid double line.

There are dozens of countries in the world where people on holiday hire bikes, I know of a couple of my friends who had crashes and claimed on their insurance without a problem. So I don't know how that works.

In many countries you can ride a small scooter on a UK car licence and most places don't ask you for any licence. I can think of a dozen countries I have hired a scooter or small bike and only have a car licence, never been a problem, even when stopped by the police.

I don't know what the laws are in each of these countries, mainly in Europe, but have never seen a sign, or had anyone tell me I am riding illegally.

Maybe people lie on their claim form?

Thx everyone! You helped me make up my mind which is leaning to the sense (not that I know for sure) that:

• I really do need a license to drive legally
  • Getting by without a license may be just deference byThai police toward a foreigner
  • I wouldn't like to have to lie on an insurance claim (or expect my travel partner to lie)
  • it's a fairly high risk activity
  • I don't really need a bike

I did find out that since 2013 you need a helmet to drive in Pai legally, but most people don't use one.

thx again!

Andrew