Capital punishment concerns raised over Thai backpackers' murder case

webfact

No my timeline is fine.

Or did the video of running man not get shown until a week after the murder ?

You do not search for a murderer when you know where he is.

You arrest him take him to a police station then let him call a lawyer. He doesn't disappear for a week after a week.

Edited by berybert
  • Like 2

No my timeline is fine.

You need a link for the copyright.

That article was from the 23rd. 8 full days after the murders.

Worat and lawyer present exculpatory evidence on the 30th of September. 2 full weeks after the murders.

There's a 1 week gap, but it is between the 23rd and the 30th.

Edited by jdinasia

Changing tilt a little . Nom had a rather flimsy alibi. What was Mons alibi ?

This is something that seems to have been over looked.

Flimsy is your totally incorrect timeline. Flimsy is your claims of scratches etc. 1000's of people on the island the night of the crime and nothing to prove your defaming claims. In the selfie capital of the world, nothing to show him anywhere in pictures from people at the bars parties etc..

Yet people remain fixated. Some of the people don't like Thai people. Some of the people have self professed negative history with the RTP. Some are just conspiracy theorists.

Worat's clearance is a fact. Actual real people place him in BKK. Actual real people and records place him in class. Mon was cleared as not being in the CCTV. No tattoo.

What are we left with? Self incriminating statements to the defendants' lawyer, the same to the HRC commissioner, DNA, other Burmese saying where they got the phone, and... Oh yeah... The alibi ---- 3 bottles of beer split between 2 people over several hours made them too drunk to remember what happened...

• Like 1

Mon was cleared as not being in CCTV. no tattoo.

Burmese were not cleared despite not being in CCTV and having no tattoo.

And you are happy with that.

I don't recall the RTP saying anything about tattoo's. So it seems you are happy to go along with CT's when they fit.

Edited by berybert
  • Like 2

Mon was cleared as not being in CCTV. no tattoo.

Burmese were not cleared despite not being in CCTV and having no tattoo.

And you are happy with that.

I don't recall the RTP saying anything about tattoo's. So it seems you are happy to go along with CT's when they fit.

Try reading links. this one has been posted multiple times http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-now-rule-koh-tao-headmans-son-murder-suspect-turn-foreign-tourists-probe over the last 2 days. A post you changed had material of the same nature.

"A suspect caught by the surveillance camera of a resort wore pants and also had tattoo, according to the disclosure earlier by Montriwat Toovichien, the brother of the village headman, when he was questioned by the police as a suspect after he looked like the man on the tape. He was cleared when he had no tattoo."

As for the defendants, they don't deny being there, they were shown earlier, and somehow went home avoiding CCTV.

No my timeline is fine.

Worat and lawyer present exculpatory evidence on the 30th of September. 2 full weeks after the murders.

Actually, Warot was cleared by the 25th. So, the police say they are looking for him on the 23rd, 25th; so much for the "he was hiding from the police for a week" meme.

Besides that, the reason he became a suspect was because armchair detectives "identified" him as being the man on the CCTV footage. I'm guessing someone floated up his name and that he was the son of an influential figure and that set off the outrage brigade, of course it had to be him. Son of a rich family getting away with murder in an intrigue involving corruption up to the highest levels of Thailand's government? That stuff sells, and you can pin all sorts of prejudices to it.

Two poor Burmese men, what can you do with that?

• Like 1

For five months the B2 have taken the headlines in regard to the Ko Tao crime of Sept. 15 '14.

The RTP and the Headman and his people wanted the B2 to be the focus of attention, even if it sullied the RTP's reputation. Reason: it took focus away from those who were prime suspects, but who then got quickly excused for less-than-flimsy reasons.

It's good to see some discussion of those who were and should still be prime suspects. For anyone who gives a hoot about justice and finding/nailing the real culprits, and keeping dangerous men from fraternizing with our sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, then it's heartening to see the focus going where it should.

Strangely you (boomerangutang) never addressed any of the points brought up about the vast number of people who would have to be directly involved in your conspiracy theory, or complicite in it for it to work...... (many entities, including all the people on the island are listed)

Here we go again. I'll try to explain what a conspiracy is and what it isn't:
A conspiracy is when many people believe something, and are invested in that belief. Like a conspiracy of thieves getting together to steal from an art gallery.
If Marco polo comes back from China and tells about black rocks which burn. All the people who believe it, aren't fellow conspirators. They're simply believers. If Marco Polo came back with a group of people who made a secret pact to pull a ruse (like Chickens in China were hatched from square eggs), then that would be a conspiracy.

RTP echoers need a better word to bandy around. If the word conspiracy were to apply to the Ko Tao case, it would fit better with RTP brass - who appear to be trying to hoodwink the general public (and the judge) in to believing something contrived. To do that, only a very few people at the top of the pyramid would have to float incorrect ideas (DNA found in Hannah matches the B2's, for example) ....and every uniformed person of lower rank is compelled to back it up, or else lose their job, or worse. Those cops of lower ranks may not know the data is twisted (and may not care) or that there may be a conspiracy at the top ranks, but they are obliged to back up their superiors. Can you imagine a lower-ranked cop attempting to go over the heads of his superiors, and try finding the original DNA typing on Hannah? Impossible. That's why those of us seeking truth and justice are eager to have Brit officials show what they've found in that regard.

Now, why don't you ask Boomerangutang for references regarding his allegations that he was promoted/transferred to change the course of the investigation?

I've already stated that it's not a big deal if or when there was a prior promotion planned for Panya. What's important is the course of the investigation. A high ranking official, whether earmarked for promotion or not, is not going to be suddenly yanked off a high-profile investigation in its early stage, unless those outranking him are dissatisfied with the direction the investigation is going. It's an affront. If a general is leading an assault on an enemy, he's not going to be yanked off the battlefield and put in an office, unless he's doing something which his superiors deem wrong.

• Like 2

Aleg

With reference to the promotion, on what date was the promotion announced with his name actually stated

I have already provided references to Panya Mamen being promoted, as scheduled, in a general reshuffle; it was confirmed on September 30th, the process, obviously, started before that.

Now, why don't you ask Boomerangutang for references regarding his allegations that he was promoted/transferred to change the course of the investigation?

I fail to agree , all you have done is provide a link to state that a promotion as taken place at the same time as other promotions,

and then used a flawed logic to arrive at a conclusion that it must have been planned earlier, because the other promotions have been announced earlier

It's not flawed logic, it's a perfectly valid inference. What is flawed, to put it mildly, is the claim that the transfer was done as a way to change the course of the investigation, something not only not substantiated in any way but demonstrably false in view that the course of the investigation did not change after the promotion.

No my timeline is fine.

Actually, Warot was cleared by the 25th. So, the police say they are looking for him on the 23rd, 25th; so much for the "he was hiding from the police for a week" meme.

Besides that, the reason he became a suspect was because armchair detectives "identified" him as being the man on the CCTV footage. I'm guessing someone floated up his name and that he was the son of an influential figure and that set off the outrage brigade, of course it had to be him. Son of a rich family getting away with murder in an intrigue involving corruption up to the highest levels of Thailand's government? That stuff sells, and you can pin all sorts of prejudices to it.

Really? It was the armchair detectives who first identified him, do you have a link for that statement to confirm?

Its a shame the RTP asked the general public for help in identifying the running man, I wonder if the general public when providing that help got labeled as armchair detectives? Oh here's the phone number for any information for the general public to share, its on public record in the media.

Col Theerasak Jantarapipat via 089-780-4056 or contact him at 087-518-5777

• Like 2

JD here lies a problem , it is not evident from the cctv shown that the suspect has a tattoo

How did we arrive at Mon being awoke by his cleaner

the low quality of the CCTV pics is lamentable. There was also mention, in the first days, of one of the runners in the early morning having an earring. It showed up by its reflection. The wearer could was thought, at the time, to be either Mon or Nomsod. Where is that pic? Thrown in the wastecan? Just as importantly, which one of the 'persons of interest' wears an earring?
  • Like 1

What is flawed, to put it mildly, is the claim that the transfer was done as a way to change the course of the investigation, something not only not substantiated in any way but demonstrably false in view that the course of the investigation did not change after the promotion.

Major General Paween Pongsirin came in from Phuket and General Somyot appears to have self-appointed himself from Bangkok (with the PM's prodding/approval?) - and one or both took over from former lead man Panya, who was sent to Bangkok with his tail between his legs to sit at a desk job.

The course of the investigation DID change course, the minute Nomsod appeared with his lawyer in Bangkok. Right away, Nomsod was excused in all-too-quick fashion. At the same time, his uncle was excused (reason? we don't know). It doesn't much matter which official was purportedly leading the investigation, because by that time, the strings were being controlled by Bangkok. Which brass were officially in charge, is of secondary importance. What's important is that the investigation was looking at where the evidence was leading - up to the 2nd week. Then the investigation abruptly changed to focus only on things which might implicate Burmese migrants. The two prime suspects at that time were dropped like last month's newspaper, not to be looked at again by officials.

Edited by boomerangutang
  • Like 2

Sorry Boomerangutang,

A conspiracy theory relies on a shadowed powerful group manipulating things from the dark. This is what you ascribe to.

A conspiracy is an agreement to commit a crime.

Scientific American has a few great articles on conspiracy theorists and how to look for a conspiracy theory versus an actual conspiracy.

Well worth a read

And strangely enough not 1 comment on Nomsod admitting he wasn't at school the day after the murder !

I wonder why.

The boy was all over the news at that time together with his dad, of course he would be allowed to take break from study , do you think he did it because he wanted to hide?

If he really was the killer it would be more suspicious if he didn't attend class. He is just a boy but he is also from a wealthy family , they are of course worried about his well being.

It was and still is an enormous pressure on him , he has been cleared thanks to the DNA test , he did it to escape the gossip and clear his name.

Unfortunately our conspiracy experts do not believe in this DNA test and think it was a fake one set up by the police.

• Like 1

No my timeline is fine.

I understand that it was Somyot who declared on the 25th that Nomsod was never a suspect , even though this contradicted the Khao Tao investigators on the 23rd , and then went on to state that he wasnt going to comment on the case ,lest it contradicted the investigators in charge of the investigation

• Like 2

And strangely enough not 1 comment on Nomsod admitting he wasn't at school the day after the murder !

I wonder why.

The boy was all over the news at that time together with his dad, of course he would be allowed to take break from study , do you think he did it because he wanted to hide?

If he really was the killer it would be more suspicious if he didn't attend class. He is just a boy but he is also from a wealthy family , they are of course worried about his well being.

It was and still is an enormous pressure on him , he has been cleared thanks to the DNA test , he did it to escape the gossip and clear his name.

Unfortunately our conspiracy experts do not believe in this DNA test and think it was a fake one set up by the police.

Balo

You raise an interesting point,

Am I correct in thinking Nomsod dna was tested against the dna found on Hannahs body. This in itself would not clear him, there is the matter of the cigarette butt with Hannahs and another uknown dna, and the used condom.

Just because his dna did not match does not clear him ,it only proves Nomsods dna was not found, this was previously highlighted by a forensic expert

• Like 2

rockingrobin, on 26 Mar 2015 - 20:12, said:
balo, on 26 Mar 2015 - 18:56, said:
berybert, on 26 Mar 2015 - 06:34, said:

I wonder why.

Balo

You raise an interesting point,

Am I correct in thinking Nomsod dna was tested against the dna found on Hannahs body. This in itself would not clear him, there is the matter of the cigarette butt with Hannahs and another uknown dna, and the used condom.

Just because his dna did not match does not clear him ,it only proves Nomsods dna was not found, this was previously highlighted by a forensic expert

I thought the DNA test was just to prove he was actually the son of the headman.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry Boomerangutang,

A conspiracy theory relies on a shadowed powerful group manipulating things from the dark. This is what you ascribe to.

Scientific American has a few great articles on conspiracy theorists and how to look for a conspiracy theory versus an actual conspiracy.

Well worth a read

ok, let's accept your definition of 'conspiracy.' It fits what the RTP, hand in hand with the headman and his closest people, appear to be doing.

In contrast, people on social media (like CSI-LA, and us here on T.Visa), plus people who follow the news ww, are not agreeing to commit a crime. They're not 'a shadowed powerful group manipulating things in the dark' (jd's words). They're people who are concerned about the victims and their families, concerned about seeing justice done, and who don't particularly like the idea of callous and dangerous men continuing to stroll around Ko Tao. Men who know they can get away with murder - literally.

Personally, I don't care about the term 'conspiracy theory.' I've been called worse. I'm more concerned about accuracy in using the English language.

• Like 1

Sorry Boomerangutang,

Well worth a read

Please we're adults on here and are all aware of what the meanings of conspiracy and conspiracy theory are and the numerous situations and interpretations that they can be applied to as defined in any dictionary. For instance a conspiracy does not necessarily mean an agreement to commit crime it can be applied to many situations such as a conspiracy of silence, a conspiracy to take over a company, a conspiracy to hide the truth.

A conspiracy theory similarly can be applied to many situations such as:

"a theory that explains an event as being the result of a plot by a covert group or organization; a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a group"

We can both cherry pick whatever suits our particular agenda but is it really a worthwhile cause to debate such an irrelevant aspect of this case or use those phrases constantly to try and put down an opposing view.

Edited by thailandchilli

No my timeline is fine.

I understand that it was Somyot who declared on the 25th that Nomsod was never a suspect , even though this contradicted the Khao Tao investigators on the 23rd , and then went on to state that he wasnt going to comment on the case ,lest it contradicted the investigators in charge of the investigation

Links?

I thought the DNA test was just to prove he was actually the son of the headman.

No. The DNA test was a media event with a foregone conclusion. Everyone on the dais knew beforehand the DNA wouldn't match the (purported) DNA found on/in Hannah. The people on the Dais: Headman and family member, and RTP brass. Does anyone think they would hold that staged event with the possibility of there being a match? It's like OJ pretending he couldn't fit the glove on his hand.

Note: Since the B2 were forced to sign a confession form in a language they don't understand, there haven't been any disclosures by RTP on this case. None, except the staged press event with Nomsod DNA. Before the B2 were nailed, there were announcements each day, peppered by comments from the PM.

How hard is it to change a file name on a computer? Everyone reading this has done it. That's how hard it would be to change the file of the 2 DNA typing cards (filename: DNA found in Hannah) to coincide with the B2 DNA typing cards (filename: DNA found in Hannah). One or two people could implement that in minutes. Everyone else (lower ranks, press corps, netizens) would have no choice but to accept it, whether they suspected foul play or not.

The only way to gauge the veracity of the DNA trail would be to get a reliable outside lab to test original samples. Then compare to DNA of 'persons of interest' (prior and current suspects). Oh, but wait a moment. Even the Brits can't do that. Why? Because Thai officials won't allow the Brits to see DNA typing from prior suspects in the case. If that's not part of a cover-up, then what is?

Most people are accustomed to accept what the RTP declare because RTP are uniformed and have authority. Does RTP have an agenda in this investigation? With statements like "a Thai couldn't have done this" and attitudes like: "this is terrible for tourism revenue. We must indict some people as soon as possible. It's not good for Thailand's image. Let's round up every Burmese migrant on the island and test their DNA."

Even Ms Porntip, arguably Thailand's top forensic expert, expressed serious doubts about the veracity of the DNA trail.

Your post contains both truth and apparent lies.

You are correct, the DNA results were a foregone conclusion. That doesn't mean your conspiracy theories regarding the DNA have any validity. It was a foregone conclusion due to the fact that he wasn't on the island and couldn't have committed the crime.

Now for the lie. Can you please provide a link where Dr. Pornthip questions anything other than a trained forensic specialist should have been doing the collection?

No my timeline is fine.

Really? It was the armchair detectives who first identified him, do you have a link for that statement to confirm?

Its a shame the RTP asked the general public for help in identifying the running man, I wonder if the general public when providing that help got labeled as armchair detectives? Oh here's the phone number for any information for the general public to share, its on public record in the media.

Col Theerasak Jantarapipat via 089-780-4056 or contact him at 087-518-5777

Here's how Nomsod's witch hunt began, very much like the way you and others say that me and others must be connected with the murders for daring to have a different opinion than yours:

"I didn't think that "Thai Police Story" would analyze whether or not "Nom Sod" was on Koh Tao (Turtle Island) on the date of the murder just by looking at a post on Facebook would they?

Well, the reason is because "Nom Sod" and his friends had posted comments on CSI during the time that Sean leaked out a statement that he was being threatened and bullied by the mafia. In many ways, this allowed Admin and people on CSI LA page to see the suspicious behavior and we were able to recognize the close similarity in the physical features of the suspect betweem the CCTV video and "Nom Sod"."

Nothing inspires viciousness and vindictive beheaviour like self righteousness.

Edited by AleG
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry Boomerangutang,

Well worth a read

ok, let's accept your definition of 'conspiracy.' It fits what the RTP, hand in hand with the headman and his closest people, appear to be doing.

In contrast, people on social media (like CSI-LA, and us here on T.Visa), plus people who follow the news ww, are not agreeing to commit a crime. They're not 'a shadowed powerful group manipulating things in the dark' (jd's words). They're people who are concerned about the victims and their families, concerned about seeing justice done, and who don't particularly like the idea of callous and dangerous men continuing to stroll around Ko Tao. Men who know they can get away with murder - literally.

Personally, I don't care about the term 'conspiracy theory.' I've been called worse. I'm more concerned about accuracy in using the English language.

You are as concerned for the accuracy of English language as you are about Truth and Justice.

You are called a conspiracy theorist not because you are committing a conspiracy, because you theorize about a conspiracy committed by others. :rolleyes:

• Like 1