Capital punishment concerns raised over Thai backpackers' murder case

webfact

The month in the time stamp in that screen capture has obviously been changed. There is no proof that Nomsod was in Bangkok at the time of the murders. None whatsoever.

Why do you feel the need to defend this guy?

This is false:

"There is no proof that Nomsod was in Bangkok at the time of the murders. None whatsoever."

"Mr. Warot's lawyer, Attakorn Onart, presented reporters with a still photograph from CCTV footage that showed Mr. Warot at his university and residence in Bangkok on 13-15 September.

Mr. Warot also attended classes during that period of time, Mr. Attakorn said.

"There are university documents that confirmed his class attendance and examination," the lawyer told reporters."

"police questioned Mr. Warot and established that he was not on the island when the murder took place, deputy police chief Pol.Gen. Ake Angsananond said yesterday"

He was cleared, he provided a solid alibi, end of story.

What there is no evidence whatsoever is that he was on the island at the time or that he had any role in the murders; none, zero.

Why do you feel the need to attack him?

It's not just most of the posters on this topic who have grave doubts about Nomsod and his flaky alibi. Also many Thais. An earlier post mentioned, "if you ask Thais who follow this crime investigation who they think did it, they will say 'fresh milk'" Granted, popular opinion doesn't, in itself, make something true - but it is indicative of popular perception. You could also ask any adult Thai how believable a Thai cop is (in general) and whether a Thai cop can be subjective about a murder investigation and, if they understand the questions, you'll probably get a laugh.

As for alibi: it wasn't solid by any stretch. As for the CCTV on the island near the time of murder: it looks very much like Nomsod. I'm curious to know if any of those images will be allowed to be shown at the trial, or whether they will all be scratched from the venue as being 'immaterial' as they don't show either of the B2. Getting a U professor to say the boy was in class is not difficult. U professors rarely take roll call, and there could be strong incentives for a teacher to say what powers-that-be want him to say. The missing CCTV from the island could speak volumes, but for that reason, it's very likely been destroyed.

Again you presume to speak for most posters. You presume to tell us what "most professors" do.

All simply to continue your campaign/witch hunt.

Defamation carries some heavy penalties.

• Like 1

I know it's late in the day to be asking this.

I understand why mon was accused by police. Because shaun fingered him so naturally the police investigated him.

2 questions.

Why did they not investigate the cop as well.

How did nomsod name ever come into it.

What is the reason the police began mentioning him in Bkk since shaun had not said anything about him.

Be grateful for an answer.

As far as I can tell, he came into it after people in CSI LA pointed a finger at him based on this:

"Well, the reason is because "Nom Sod" and his friends had posted comments on CSI during the time that Sean leaked out a statement that he was being threatened and bullied by the mafia. In many ways, this allowed Admin and people on CSI LA page to see the suspicious behavior and we were able to recognize the close similarity in the physical features of the suspect betweem the CCTV video and "Nom Sod"

They didn't like the things he said about the issue and decided that it was him on the CCTV video even though no facial features are visible.

In short, vindictive rumor mongering.

I think the csi reference to nomsod was after the police had already said they were looking for a guy in Bkk. At that initial stage , when mon was arrested nomsod name had not been published. It was a few days after mon arrest that nomsod name was released.

Again my question.

What caused the police to initialy suspect nomsod.

They said they had CCTV evidence.

• Like 1

The idea of CCTV is to help with crime protection. When you see a person commit a crime who has one leg, you look for people with one leg.

When you see someone in question with a gimpy arm, you look for someone with a gimpy arm.

Now do either of the Burmese have gimpy arms ? There is only one person who had a gimpy arm in CCTV on the night of the murders. He was wearing a number 9 shirt. Has anyone ever looked for number 9 ?

No, just like the couple in the running man CCTV footage, he has been conveniently forgotten about. He obviously knew David Miller well enough to shake his hand in the street. He must have been one of the last people to see David alive.

• Like 1

Here's a little window on how Thai officials and investigators think: One of Thaksin's Ministers was found to be doing something illegal while in office. By the time investigators caught up with him, he simply said, "those allegations pertain to when I was a government Minister. I'm no longer a Minister, so why are you pursuing me?" The cops thought for a moment, and then realized, "yes, of course. He's no longer a Minister, so we should drop the charges."

In a round-about way, it also relates a similar Thai tradition: When an important politician or business man is facing serious legal charges, he only needs to put on monk's robes, ....and authorities won't pursue him.

• Like 1

Pol Lt Gen Panya said a second suspect, who fled the resort island to Bangkok, will likely be taken into custody soon.

He said both suspects were captured by CCTV cameras and the police have gathered enough evidence to implicate them in the murders.

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/koh-tao-murder-suspect-arrested-another-on-the-run.html

24th September.

Last time I checked a calendar the 22nd of September (the time Sean McAnna's incident hit the news) comes before the 24th or 23rd. rolleyes.gif

Suspects mean suspects, the evidence didn't pan out, they were cleared, end of story; happens in all crime investigations, the difference is that in this case the police made too many details public during the course of the investigation.

The evidence didn't "pan out"? Funny that evidence didn't pan out right after the police interviewed the headman.

Eighth Region Police Command commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen identified the first suspect as Mon.

He is the brother of a village headman in Koh Tao.

He was arrested after evidence which police collected were examined and proved he was involved, he said.

He also said another suspect is also a son of that village headman.

http://englishnews.t...ted-another-run

This says they had evidence which "proved" Mon was involved. How can evidence that proves someone was involved one day, become evidence that didn't pan out?

It tells me that they had evidence, but it was conveniently ignored once the village headman helped police with their enquiries.

And one reason why the newly promoted Panya was seemingly persuaded into 'clearing' these initial suspects despite the 'involvement proof' before being replaced as head of this investigation. Pity the 'proof of involvement' will never see the light of day - it would have been interesting, even if it was all B/S from someone who hadn't found anyone to blame and was getting the flak from above. The new guy did though - pretty quick off the blocks, he was...

• Like 2

A speculative scenario - any resemblance to living persons is purely coincidental. And in any event, the essence is all in the public domain.

Suspect 1 - why are you pursuing me? I have a reputable business on this island, and as you know I contribute to law enforcement to keep crime low.

Police - yes, I agree.

suspect 2 - it's not us you should be interrogat- I mean questioning - blame the Burmese or Cambodians or fishermen.

Police - that's a possibility.

Suspect 1 - no-one would care - and we all want tourism back, don't we?

Police - certainly.

suspect 2 - tell the media we've taken blood tests and are cleared - it's easy.

Police making hand motion - one finger scraping an open hand.

Suspect 1 - of course we'll contribute to the cost - that's a gimme.

suspect 2 - hell, we'll even offer a million bucks...

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what techniques the police failed to use in this investigation. Technology these days tracks people way more than they know it. I doubt that the police have exhausted all of these avenues, as their tunnel vision focused on the B2. They only want to prove certain evidence, and not all the evidence - evidence which would also show doubt that these two boys did this. I doubt there is any investigating done here that exonerates anyone, but only looks at the most vulnerable target and goes for the throat.

• Like 1

I think the csi reference to nomsod was after the police had already said they were looking for a guy in Bkk. At that initial stage , when mon was arrested nomsod name had not been published. It was a few days after mon arrest that nomsod name was released.

Again my question.

What caused the police to initialy suspect nomsod.

They said they had CCTV evidence.

Yes, they sure did.

http://www.chiangrai...on-the-run.html

Pol Lt Gen Panya said a second suspect, who fled the resort island to Bangkok, will likely be taken into custody soon.

He said both suspects were captured by CCTV cameras and the police have gathered enough evidence to implicate them in the murders.

• Like 1