Phuket beach loungers and umbrellas - current situation

arthurmoore

The beaches look ten times better than before. Keep the sunbeds and greedy vendors away.

For the would be tourists instead of complaining about it find a new destination to travel too and spend your big bucks there. You all seem so self absorbed and that this clearing was about you. It's not. This was the government deciding that public land is for everyone not just a few select people who decided to Lay claim to the beach fro their greedy selves.

Keep the sunbeds and greedy vendors away.

The beach vendors provided a service that was wanted by the tourist... It is a win win for every one

except the napalm dropping ,zero tolerance ,empty beach loving eco tourist..

This was the government deciding that public land is for everyone not just a few select people who decided to Lay claim to the beach fro their greedy selves-If this were true the jet-skis and parasails would be gone too....

>>

The beach vendors provided a service that was wanted by the tourist... It is a win win for every one

It's against the law. always has been. How would you like it if someone came onto your property, didn't pay you a single satang, and did business on your property? Guess what, that's what these non tax paying, non paying rent vendors did to the most highly esteeemed person in Thailand lands. Not very respectful is it?

>>-If this were true the jet-skis and parasails would be gone too....

Unfortunately the water comes under marine park 5 who have shown in many instances that they favour jet skis and parasails. Up to you to figure out why that is, but I can give you hundreds of thousands of reasons per month why..............................

Very one sided vids put up there Old Croc? and the post re tides is spot on, only thing really was the Jetski's blocking the way near surfs edge, other than that it looked just like a busy beach to me. You say a year ago, funny I was there and don't remember it being that busy but then I only walk the beach each morning between 8.30 and 11.00, then shoot the breeze and have a dip before off home, anyway never mind. I would much prefer neat lines of sunbeds with parasols and tables than towles strewn all over the shop and silly shaded area zones. But everyone to their own, pity the poor tourists on vacation as they seem to want the loungers and beds, seems only the Paradise lost brigade want a barren empty utopian beach with not musch else to offer... that begs the question why they would then want to live/visit a busy holiday island then?

Here is a more balanced view of current situation and the reality of what most tourists actually want (I normally don't rate Phuket TVs shorts but they have also seemed to got this one covered about right and probably answers better the OPs question, with Kids in tow you need parasols and shade, beds and tables and the beach and is better for it (and cleaner)

Why are the two vids I posted "very one sided", Lokie? Are you suggesting they're faked or CGI?

The fact that I posted before and after shots of the beach would, by any definition, present a balanced viewpoint, even if you want to hide from any truth that's inconvenient for your opinions.

The first vid was taken early Feb 2014 and the second on 25 Jan 2015. (about a week after the very similar Phuket News Vid you posted). I didn't editorialize about these videos, so I'm a little curious as to why you, and others, are assuming I have specific opinions about them. The fact that you formulated different memories about the beach a year ago doesn't void the video. So I guess the only "funny" thing has something to do with yourself!

And, extra high tide or not, it doesn't void the fact that beds were placed right down to the high tide line.

You have your opinions, and are entitled to them, but don't try your silly spin with my balanced posts on this thread!

I agree Old croc, each to there own, by unbalanced (IMO) I was referring to the fact that the real busy clip was not representative of a normal busy day at the beach. The clip I posted was actually off the back of yours on the next Youtube page (I had a look at it after watching both of the clips you posted) I also agree beds/loungers down the waters edge is not right, but thats where the tide ref came in and of course you can not account for beach goears draggung beds towards the edge or moving them in the allotted area. So no need to get too defensive, I only gave MO in this thread which I am fully entitled to do as you are too.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as we all know, for me the beach was way better than it is now and cleaner also.

Have a Coke and a Smile.... and shoot the breeze, although at moment either bring your own or run the Gaunglet across beach rd to the shop facing bangla Police Box.w00t.gif

And if anyone really thinks this excercise had anything remotely to do with 'Giving back' the beach to the 'People' you must be as daft as a brush. merely an excercise as to a cashflow problem... problem being fund re-aligments, time will answear that statement, the beds will be back within the year and all back seemingly as before once the envelopes are re-directed. And the vendors did pay to certain people, and eventually they will pay again, so enjoy it while it lasts...

Keep the sunbeds and greedy vendors away.

Yes, they provided a service, but, if you didn't want that service and just wanted to sit on the sand close by, then they got nasty..........very nasty.

• Like 1

Very one sided vids put up there Old Croc? and the post re tides is spot on, only thing really was the Jetski's blocking the way near surfs edge, other than that it looked just like a busy beach to me. You say a year ago, funny I was there and don't remember it being that busy but then I only walk the beach each morning between 8.30 and 11.00, then shoot the breeze and have a dip before off home, anyway never mind. I would much prefer neat lines of sunbeds with parasols and tables than towles strewn all over the shop and silly shaded area zones. But everyone to their own, pity the poor tourists on vacation as they seem to want the loungers and beds, seems only the Paradise lost brigade want a barren empty utopian beach with not musch else to offer... that begs the question why they would then want to live/visit a busy holiday island then?

Here is a more balanced view of current situation and the reality of what most tourists actually want (I normally don't rate Phuket TVs shorts but they have also seemed to got this one covered about right and probably answers better the OPs question, with Kids in tow you need parasols and shade, beds and tables and the beach and is better for it (and cleaner)

Why are the two vids I posted "very one sided", Lokie? Are you suggesting they're faked or CGI?

The fact that I posted before and after shots of the beach would, by any definition, present a balanced viewpoint, even if you want to hide from any truth that's inconvenient for your opinions.

The first vid was taken early Feb 2014 and the second on 25 Jan 2015. (about a week after the very similar Phuket News Vid you posted). I didn't editorialize about these videos, so I'm a little curious as to why you, and others, are assuming I have specific opinions about them. The fact that you formulated different memories about the beach a year ago doesn't void the video. So I guess the only "funny" thing has something to do with yourself!

And, extra high tide or not, it doesn't void the fact that beds were placed right down to the high tide line.

You have your opinions, and are entitled to them, but don't try your silly spin with my balanced posts on this thread!

I agree Old croc, each to there own, by unbalanced (IMO) I was referring to the fact that the real busy clip was not representative of a normal busy day at the beach. The clip I posted was actually off the back of yours on the next Youtube page (I had a look at it after watching both of the clips you posted) I also agree beds/loungers down the waters edge is not right, but thats where the tide ref came in and of course you can not account for beach goears draggung beds towards the edge or moving them in the allotted area. So no need to get too defensive, I only gave MO in this thread which I am fully entitled to do as you are too.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as we all know, for me the beach was way better than it is now and cleaner also.

Have a Coke and a Smile.... and shoot the breeze, although at moment either bring your own or run the Gaunglet across beach rd to the shop facing bangla Police Box.w00t.gif

As people seem to be making assumptions about myself, I'll state my personal thoughts on the situation, for what it's worth.

Firstly, I believe the coup was necessary to prevent a looming civil war. People were tossing grenades and shooting into crowds for F...s sake!!

I also fully support the clearance of illegal buildings from the beaches and the removal of thuggish vendors who believed they owned sections of the beach, could cover it with furniture despite rules limiting them to smaller areas, and could decide who used the beach. I could give links to a number of incidents where these vendors attacked or threatened beach goers who didn't wish to pay for the privilege of sitting on the sand and having a swim.

I support the arrest and charging of corrupt local officials and personalities who believed they could sell off sections of the beaches for enormous personal profit. I believe this corruption trail led all the way to the top in Bangkok. I await, possibly in vain, for these cases to come to court.

I despair that the water based activities appear to be untouchable and are allowed to continue their extortionate behavior unchecked in the main swimming areas.

However, I do believe beach goers should be allowed to bring chairs, umbrellas, etc., to the beach for their comfort.

I am both bemused and horrified by the high farce being perpetrated by a new set of local officials regarding ever changing rules about chairs, food, zoning etc.

In my perfect world, local government owned kiosks would be established on beaches where refreshments could be sold, and beach equipment rented out. Locals would be employed on salary to provide a delivery service to customers and profits would go to beach upkeep.

There seems to be a strong demand among some tourists for jetskies and parasail vessels so I wouldn't ban them outright, but they would have to operate from pontoons or jetties away from the swimming areas. They would be fully regulated and insured and removed from the corruption trail.

My pipe dream.

and a nice dream it is.

Thing is that none of the Thai's that were making over 3,000 baht/day running their chairs/umbrellas /rests are going to work for 300 baht/day

hence why the beach is not as clean this year (kamala) as last year as there is no one cleaning it.

Never seen so many cig butts before on the beach