Humming Noise on a Ford Fiesta

1. Can you tell where it's coming from - front, back, underneath...

2. Does it change sound with engine speed change, or with kph change? If it's kph change it could be wheel bearing, tire, differential, etc. If it's engine speed that changes it then...

3. I'd get to up to the speed where it does it and then kick it into neutral gear and let the engine slow. If the sound doesn't change it isn't related to the engine or accessories.

Since you mention speed, if that's it with no change with engine speed change, it's possibly something rolling like wheel bearing or tire...

Edited by NeverSure

do you have the original wheels on your car? I had once an experience with honda civic and some fancy wheels my wife organised on it.

humming sound as well, and returning to an original set of wheels cured it all. I think itwas the wheels, my wife still thinks it wasonly the tyres?? quiet again while driving.

Neversure and transam win the prize, wheel bearing it is ! would have thought that it was a bit early for a wheel bearing to go (15,000 km) but what do I know ? they also need to change a part on the steering rack as I get a click click click when turning the wheel to full lock, apparently 3 days wait for the parts and 1 1/2 days to do the work, told them to make sure the courtesy car is waiting me when I bring it in !

Neversure and transam win the prize, wheel bearing it is ! would have thought that it was a bit early for a wheel bearing to go (15,000 km) but what do I know ? they also need to change a part on the steering rack as I get a click click click when turning the wheel to full lock, apparently 3 days wait for the parts and 1 1/2 days to do the work, told them to make sure the courtesy car is waiting me when I bring it in !

15K km is pretty sad for a wheel bearing to go. Mine took over 200K kms before they made a sound. This was a honda. Prehaps you drove though a dusty or flooded area and they got contaminated. Was it both sides or just one side making a noise? Glad you got it fixed though

A minute bit of crap, not seen by the eye on (factory) assembly will stuff a bearing in short order.

Same goes for the rear end (diff, axle bearings), the most important thing to do before unscrewing the filler and drain plugs is to thoroughly clean the area around the plugs so no crap gets in when putting the plugs back in.

• Like 1

2days for a3 hr job. ??

Three hour job? Maybe on the Ford Anglia of your youth but there's so much stuff shoehorned into FWD cars these days, nothing is as easy as it used to be. It took the mechanics about an hour just to get to the air-conditioning clutch on the wife's CR-V when it went open-circuit as the compressor was mounted at the bottom of the engine and only easily accessible with the car on a hoist.

Did you ever try and quickly change the battery on the old Chevy S-10 pickup? Bloody ridiculous affair with bloody terminals on the SIDE of the battery!

Anyway, since it is a warranty job, it will be done slowly and properly.

2days for a3 hr job. ??

11/2 days ! Jobs ( plural ) Ace !

Not sure how you can question how long a job is going to take when you don't know what the job entails !

Wheel Bearing 30/40 Min Max. Steering Rack.1.5hrs max,including 2 Smoke n Tea brakes.Done enough of them. Plural.?. Not a Teacher perhaps are you,hence cant do anything but talk.cheesy.gif

A friend of mine needed a wheel bearing, drive shaft and CV joint on his 1 year old Fiesta.

FORD

Found

On

Road

Dead

2days for a3 hr job. ??

Three hour job? Maybe on the Ford Anglia of your youth but there's so much stuff shoehorned into FWD cars these days, nothing is as easy as it used to be. It took the mechanics about an hour just to get to the air-conditioning clutch on the wife's CR-V when it went open-circuit as the compressor was mounted at the bottom of the engine and only easily accessible with the car on a hoist.

Did you ever try and quickly change the battery on the old Chevy S-10 pickup? Bloody ridiculous affair with bloody terminals on the SIDE of the battery!

Anyway, since it is a warranty job, it will be done slowly and properly.

Wrong ,look up Ford Dealer times for the Job.Just spoke to Ford.They are wrong are they.

These parts wearing at only 15km is not a good sign. Probably farmed out the part to some Chinese consortium that downgraded the quality is my guess. Ridiculous to wear at these miles as they should go over 100k without these problems. And to think there is not cold weather driving either to greatly accelerate wear. I wonder how long they last in Canada?

2days for a3 hr job. ??

11/2 days ! Jobs ( plural ) Ace !

Not sure how you can question how long a job is going to take when you don't know what the job entails !

It don't take 11/2 days, unless they are going to respray the thing too............laugh.png

Funny You mention Re Spray T.A... i hang out at a Palls Body Shop most days,hence thats where i get info,and see many steering racks fitted and horrendous front enders.. also ive noted that a Vigo/Navara is no better than a Camry/Teana after a front ender, sorry to upset the deluded Tractor Drivers..biggrin.png

The clicking noise is likely either a loose inner tie rod end on the steering rack or a bad constant velocity joint in one of the half-shafts (axles). It does seem like early failure, has the car ever been in an accident? Are you the only driver? Every car I've owned here has had front-end problems, even the Toyota.