Legal Age of Miscarriage

Sawan Chan 7

Does anyone know when an miscarriage becomes a death? I am confused as to whether one of my children died or not. He was born after 25 weeks and died at 12 hours old. One doctor said that there was no death certificate as the pregnancy was under 26 weeks. He actually called the situation an abortion which I think is wrong. We are confused as to whether treat this as a death or miscarriage. Also, if any legal action should be taken for negligence by the doctor. Sorry if it is not clear what I mean.

I heard the time was different in Thailand compared to other countries like the USA.

Sorry for your loss. Possibly the doctor meant "miscarriage" rather than "abortion." According to one website regarding UK:

If your baby is born showing signs of life your baby legally has to be registered regardless of gestation.

Birth and Death Certificates

The hospital is obliged to give you a form with your babies details on which you then take to the register office so that you can register the birth and death. Unfortunately if your baby is still born before 24 weeks gestation you will not receive any documentation referring to your child as a baby. Your baby will be recorded as a miscarriage.

However at 24 weeks gestation and above you will be required to register the birth.

Not sure what the difference would be for you now or why you think the doctor was negligent.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss. Possibly the doctor meant "miscarriage" rather than "abortion." According to one website regarding UK:

If your baby is born showing signs of life your baby legally has to be registered regardless of gestation.

Birth and Death Certificates

The hospital is obliged to give you a form with your babies details on which you then take to the register office so that you can register the birth and death. Unfortunately if your baby is still born before 24 weeks gestation you will not receive any documentation referring to your child as a baby. Your baby will be recorded as a miscarriage.

However at 24 weeks gestation and above you will be required to register the birth.

Not sure what the difference would be for you now or why you think the doctor was negligent.

Thank you. It wasn't recently and we are over the grief(took some time). We went to see the doctor the day before and he told her to go home, nothing was wrong.

I am confused as whether to treat it as a death or not. The baby actually held my finger for 5 minutes. My wife never saw the baby.

I don't know if it is right not not to have some kind of memorial. I saw and touched a living human being. My wife is Buddhist and I Christian.

I feel uneasy with it going down as a miscarriage/abortion.

I often wonder when the soul enters a baby and where that soul is now.

Thank you for the information

There are different classifications of abortions.

A spontaneous abortion, when it occurs unexpectedly and is often referred to as a miscarriage.

An elective abortion, when it is a planned event.

A therapeutic abortion, when it is necessary for the mother's health and safety.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss. I can't answer your question about if a death certificate is needed, the doctor will know best.

If you want to hold some kind of memorial service is up to you. You clearly seem to want it, so you should. It can also help with the grief, so it is important to do it properly and say goodbye in a way you and your wife are both comfortable with.

• Like 1