Video: Por Tek Tung - The Thai Body Snatchers

george

Ok, a practical question - how to spot a fake Por Teck Tueng body snatcher?

Would real Por Teck Tueng always chase out fake Por Teck Tueng? Would they report them to a police?

Another question still not completely clear - if they helped a dying person on the wrong side of the road, would it lead to a violent fight between two groups of volunteers?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would real Por Teck Tueng always chase out fake Por Teck Tueng? Would they report them to a police?

Another question still not completely clear - if they helped a dying person on the wrong side of the road, would it lead to a violent fight between two groups of volunteers?

Most Por Teck volunteers would not report them to the police, they would not just chase them out of their district - they would give them such a trashing that they will never ever dare to come back. And Police would not interfere either in this situation, viewing it as a justified punishment.

If volunteers would help an injured in their neighboring district it does mostly not lead to problems. Most teams of neighboring districts are friends, and/or know each other well. There are of course certain unwritten rules of polite conduct, such as, when the team of the district arrives a bit later, the injured is transported with one of their trucks. Some teams only allow other teams when they come with their bosses, and not alone.

Only in some areas there are long drawn out not yet solved conflicts, and there for the sake of peace the different teams try to stay strictly within their own borders. It does though sometimes not work, especially when younger and wilder volunteers do stupid things on their own, such as provocing the other team. Which results then in fights that the team leaders have to somehow solve.

Here in Bangkok the city is mainly partitioned between two large districts - the north and the south (including Thonburi). The northern area is nowadays far better organised and more quite - the South (especially Thonburi and Bangna) has far more problems. Please understand that i cannot get to deep into details of the particular problems in this place.

Edited by ColPyat

Inane drivel, useless blathering and ill-informed rumours though and the insisting on spreading of those will get the answer they deserve. Well, unless i am getting tired of the resulting childish arguments, and just retreat.

AHHHHHHH..... now THERE'S the Colpyat that we all have learned to love and cherish...

Most Por Teck volunteers would not report them to the police, they would not just chase them out of their district - they would give them such a trashing that they will never ever dare to come back. And Police would not interfere either in this situation, viewing it as a justified punishment.

:D sounds like a great group... :o

so a further practical question... If these medical-care providers would give them a trashing (thrashing, I'm assuming)... would they then provide the imposters with proper medical care, attend to the wounds that they themselves inflicted upon them, and then transport them safely and soundly to a medical facility?

Edited by sriracha john

Only in some areas there are long drawn out not yet solved conflicts, and there for the sake of peace the different teams try to stay strictly within their own borders. It does though sometimes not work, especially when younger and wilder volunteers do stupid things on their own, such as provocing the other team. Which results then in fights that the team leaders have to somehow solve.

Here in Bangkok the city is mainly partitioned between two large districts - the north and the south (including Thonburi). The northern area is nowadays far better organised and more quite - the South (especially Thonburi and Bangna) has far more problems. Please understand that i cannot get to deep into details of the particular problems in this place.

:o:D:D sounds more like a rumble between The Bandidos Versus The Hells Angels.... instead of a group of benevolent, volunteer medical-care providers...

btw, This is great advertising for them... I'm sure more and more people will seek them out to give donations now....

:D

post-9005-1156754257.gif

Edited by sriracha john

...People should not forget that Thailand can be a very violent society, in which conflicts are solved by violent means. I do not condone this, but given the corruption of law enforcement and courts it is understandable why people here take matters in their own hands.

This is not a developed country by far, and many things simply cannot be judged within the parameters of a developed country. Just because romanticaly inclined westerners (and Thais) do mistake this place with a Bhuddist paradise does not mean that this is actually so...

Nice to see you back CP,

I allways enjoy your well founded writing and envy your ability to voice your opinion in English!

'' Viel Feind, viel Ehr' '' - keep on posting!

Patex

:o:D:D sounds more like a rumble between The Bandidos Versus The Hells Angels.... instead of a group of benevolent, volunteer medical-care providers...

btw, This is great advertising for them... I'm sure more and more people will seek them out to give donations now....

post-9005-1156754257.gif

Well, take it as you want.

These foundations are the only existing and functioning EMS service in Thailand.

I was asked to explain how and why conflicts do occur. I have honestly answered that this happens occasionally and why it it happens.

If you prefer to highlight the gory details and ignore the tenthousands of people whose lifes are saved every year by those foundations than this says more about you than the Por Teck Tueng Foundation.

As i have explained as well, it is necessary for the safety of the volunteers and the possibility to operate in some very nasty areas to carry street respect. That respect is usually not achieved by being a do-gooder with a peace badge on the collar.

Sorry, this is part of a developing country. If one cannot accept that many things are not as nice as back in the west (which, if rose colored glasses are taken off, are not that nice there either at times), and take many more years to develop into an acceptable condition, then maybe this is a point when one should ask if living here is maybe not a waste of one's time, and one is happier in the developed west.

Anyhow, i have the nasty feeling that this thread is disintegrating into the usual infantile bickering. I am glad to answer any serious question regarding the Por Teck Tueng, or engage in a civil discussion. If no more is coming forward, i safe myself and everybody else the trouble and stay away for a while.

Glad that at least the thread was able to go that long without getting childish. :D

Edited by ColPyat

Nice to see you back CP,

I allways enjoy your well founded writing and envy your ability to voice your opinion in English!

'' Viel Feind, viel Ehr' '' - keep on posting!

Patex

Thanks. :o

But i prefer not to waste my dwindling braincells on useless arguments.

. . . I am glad to answer any serious question regarding the Por Teck Tueng, or engage in a civil discussion. If no more is coming forward, i safe myself and everybody else the trouble and stay away for a while.

I hope you consider these as serious questions as intended.

1. Are farangs permitted to participate as paid or unpaid volunteers in either of the 2 primary rescue groups discussed in this thread?

2. Does each team (a group assigned to an individual truck) normally have at least one well-trained medical emergency volunteer?

Not meant to judge, but simply curious.

You are exactly right! I work with the other group called Ruamkatanyu, I have been with this group for more than 5 years. The training is regular and on-going (I take part in the teaching!)and I have never seen or heard of anything like the bullshit others are saying about taking money etc. Even in the Tsunami nothing like that happened.

Thais have no idea of what our groups do really! They only think of body snatchers, but actually we build schools, supply food, clothing and educational materials to remote villages around Thailand, Have trained ambulance officers up to advanced EMT, nurses and a few doctors! Almost 90% of who work for free!

These people are amazing and give with thier hearts. There are almost no problems between the 2 groups and I have included here today I photo I took near Patong in Phuket of Ruamkatanyu and Poh Tek Tung members riding in the same pickup truck helping each other collect bodies. Most of the members I know have friends in rival groups too.

So many twisted stories but really the public owe a great deal to all the members of these groups!

Marko

These fondations hold the bodies for randsome and then the personal article are sold.

:o

This is utter bullshit.

The foundations send the corpses to the morgue, if so demanded by the police officer in charge, otherwise the corpses are left with the relatives. The relatives can ask for free coffins at the headquarters of the foundation. Unclaimed corpses are given a free burial at the foundation's graveyards, and every couple of years a free collective funeral.

Relatives can later claim a corpse that is buried in their graveyards, but it is not the foundation who holds the corpse at ransom, but the hospitals refuse to have the corpse handed over in case of unpaid bills.

As to the posted story, it contains numerous mistakes and inaccuracies.

The yellow clothed personal with monthly salaries number around 200 people, the volonteers, the original base of the Por Teck Tueng more than 3000. The medical training has over the years improved a lot, they have to attand regular courses in EMS.

As to the thefts - they do occasionally happen, but every vocation has its bad apples. If this happens the Foundation is glad when this is brought to their attantion so that the case can be investigated and the guilty can be thrown out and a case with the police can be filed. Often though the thefts that Por Teck Tueng volonteers are accused of have not been committed by them. Bystanders are often first at the scene, and do steal the valuables. Thefts happen in hospitals as well. In suburban areas are fake rescue troops as well who try to get to the injured before the official rescue volonteers arrive.

Corpses are generally stripped off their valuables before being sent to the morgue, and the valuables are given to the police officer in charge, or the relatives, if present.

Fights over corpses do not happen anymore in Bangkok since about 15 years, when the authorities and the two main rival organisations have sorted out territories and shifts. Nowadays Por Teck Tueng and Ruamkatanyu work on alternating days.

Things aren't perfect, of course. There are at times territorial fights happening. But one has to understand that the volonteers of the foundation have to have a certain amount of respect on the streets. These volonteers do have to pull dead and injured from the roughest neighborhoods in town, if people there don't fear them, their work cannot be performed because of the danger of being attacked by the gangs.

And yes, it would be nice if the would be better equipped and trained, but people should not forget that the volonteers do finance everything themselves, use their own cars, buy their own petrol and medical eqippment. Nobody gives them anything.

Without these foundations there simply would be no functioning EMS system in Thailand.

The response time is of course not as fast as in the west, but this is not the west, this is a developing country, and for that the response time and the whole system is very good. I am not aware of any statistics on the response time, but my personal experience, being with the Por Teck Tueng for over six years, is that we are in inner Bangkok rarely slower than ten minutes from the point of getting the call.

post-23668-1156768529_thumb.jpg

Edited by markokang

post-9005-1156754257.gif

Well, take it as you want.

I'm only taking it however you chose to present it.

These foundations are the only existing and functioning EMS service in Thailand.

Does that mean the Phyathai Hospitals and Samitevej Hospitals Western-style ambulances I see buzzing around cities aren't really providing EMS service in Thailand? Perhaps they are just tour groups that prefer to see the sights from the back of an ambulance?

I was asked to explain how and why conflicts do occur. I have honestly answered that this happens occasionally and why it it happens.

If you prefer to highlight the gory details and ignore the tenthousands of people whose lifes are saved every year by those foundations than this says more about you than the Por Teck Tueng Foundation.

I was just echoing how you selected to describe their activities. You made it sound common-place for them to be involved in sparring with rival "gangs" in street battles... which seemed so absurd given their stated purpose.

As i have explained as well, it is necessary for the safety of the volunteers and the possibility to operate in some very nasty areas to carry street respect. That respect is usually not achieved by being a do-gooder with a peace badge on the collar.

Yes, far better to gain that respect by bashing in someone's head.

Anyhow, i have the nasty feeling that this thread is disintegrating into the usual infantile bickering. I am glad to answer any serious question regarding the Por Teck Tueng, or engage in a civil discussion. If no more is coming forward, i safe myself and everybody else the trouble and stay away for a while.

Thank you. Perhaps it IS best if you do... we've been saying that for the several months you've been around. Might go a long way for people to receive honest reports and descriptions from those that aren't necessarily such acclaimed experts in all areas, like yourself.

Glad that at least the thread was able to go that long without getting childish. :D

That's ok, it just took a bit longer for you to reveal your true colors to those unfamilar with your trollish techniques.

See you around whenever you decide to end yet another break from your resignation.

We'll be here.

I can tell you somethings about volunteering related to the tsunami few years back. Volunteer (no pay) is required to have an work permit by the Law, there was many foreign volunteers arrested for this during the tsunami help projects.

. . . I am glad to answer any serious question regarding the Por Teck Tueng, or engage in a civil discussion. If no more is coming forward, i safe myself and everybody else the trouble and stay away for a while.

1. Are farangs permitted to participate as paid or unpaid volunteers in either of the 2 primary rescue groups discussed in this thread?

2. Does each team (a group assigned to an individual truck) normally have at least one well-trained medical emergency volunteer?

1) Farang can definately become Por Teck Tueng volonteers. I doubt that Farang will have a chance to work in a paid position, these jobs are highly coveted, far more people apply than are taken, and usually get jobs only through personal recomendations. The starting pay is a bit less than 10 000 baht a month, with 12 hour shifts, one day off a week.

The way how to become a volonteer for the Por Teck Tueng is not to go to the headquarters. Due to the set up of the whole thing the headquarters cannot simply assign you to a team. The teamleaders chose the people they accept, mostly from recomendation of friends and volonteers. After a trial period the teamleader will apply for a identification card at the headquarters.

What one should do is getting into contact with a local team, and see if they accept you, give you a trial period. It is definately more than an advantage if you speak Thai. I personally would not recommend anyone who does not speak Thai. As you can see from my previous posts things at times can be a bit hairy, and you have to be able to make the right decision working within a team, without a translator, for the safety of the injured and your own.

I am though only aware of one farang volonteer in a Ruamkatanyu team, i have briefly met him a few years ago, no idea if he is still with it. I have no idea though how the Ruamkatanyu handles things.

2) Depends on what you call "well trained". The volonteers have to go through regular training courses, but i doubt that they are "well trained" in a western sense. Things are improving though, and most volonteers try to get as much knowledge as they can.

They constantly discuss equipment and techniques, and cases were mistakes were made in order to prevent them the next time. Teamleaders do train their new members as well.

Does that mean the Phyathai Hospitals and Samitevej Hospitals Western-style ambulances I see buzzing around cities aren't really providing EMS service in Thailand? Perhaps they are just tour groups that prefer to see the sights from the back of an ambulance?

Yes, that sums it up, more or less.

These "ambulances" (if you care to have a look inside - you can see that they are no better equipped than the average Por Teck Tueng pick up truck) are mostly used for referrals from one hospital to the other.

Any more bickering?

I can tell you somethings about volunteering related to the tsunami few years back. Volunteer (no pay) is required to have an work permit by the Law, there was many foreign volunteers arrested for this during the tsunami help projects.

To be fair, one problem during the Tsunami was that there were far too many volonteers at the later stages, and some came from more than dubious organisations. For example briefly, for a few hours, some Scientology tossers tried to take over the Wat Yan Yao temple.

If you are with the Por Teck Tueng or the Ruamkatanyu you will hardly be arrested if you don't have a workpermit.

1. Yes (unpaid)

2. All are trained in First aid(bandaging/splinting etc), applying collars, Spinal board use, victim vehicle extraction (use of KEDIC), CPR, HAZMAT training, and alot more of on-going training. This is BASIC training now! Ambulances officers have more training from Basic EMT to Advanced, plus their are nurses and Registered Doctors.

No bickering, just seeking an honest answer.

Both of the ones, in our city anyway, are significantly better equipped than the volunteer snatch-and-grab pick up trucks, containing both oxygen and cardiac monitors. The pick-up trucks had a blanket and rough piece of wood, which I assume they use as a stretcher. That's it.... oh, wait a sec... I forgot, they also had a towel in the back.

Additionally, I've witnessed them at accident scenes on the roadway as well as at home emergencies when they've been called to respond.

Edited by sriracha john

If you are with the Por Teck Tueng or the Ruamkatanyu you will hardly be arrested if you don't have a workpermit.

To blatantly encourage that sort of illegal activity is surely against the rules of thaivisa.... not to mention breaking of the laws of Thailand.

Shame you can’t provide a written guarantee of this or some exclusionary rule negating the need for a work permit in these circumstances. Something, other than your written assurances on an internet forum that the bigwigs involved in the organizations would cover you and protect you during any interaction with the Labor Ministry/Immigration Police.

I somehow doubt that “But hey, a Colpyat told me online that it would ok" will carry much weight during the incarceration in-processing at the Immigration Detention Center, nor during deportation hearings. They would have no recourse and thus as result they are undertaking a tremendous risk which you shamelessly downplay. If, as you portray it as no big deal, then insist the organizations apply for and obtain a proper, legal work permit for their volunteers. When I inquired locally, they found out it WAS a big deal... in terms of the bureaucracy necessary to obtain one, so they declined to do so.... and likewise, I regrettably had to retract my offer of assistance.

Keeping in mind the nature of the work involved and the very real possibility that ANY little, untoward happenstance occurring to someone that the foreigner was involved in treating would just scream out to be investigated or used to obtain extortion from the foreign medical-care provider.

These "ambulances" (if you care to have a look inside - you can see that they are no better equipped than the average Por Teck Tueng pick up truck) are mostly used for referrals from one hospital to the other.

Any more bickering?

Spot on!

sj, after more than 7 years in Thailand you don't know anything about these "Western- style ambulances" ?? :o

Maybe you reread this statement from your favourite "Internet enemy"?: " ...many things simply cannot be judged within the parameters of a developed country."

Any more bickering?

Spot on!

sj, after more than 7 years in Thailand you don't know anything about these "Western- style ambulances" ...many things simply cannot be judged within the parameters of a developed country."

I was simply stating that the aforementioned ambulances were fairly well equipped when I looked in the back of one. They weren't completely outfitted to Western-standards, but I was duly impressed by the equipment they did have... as opposed to the other type of delivery systems, the pick-ups.

I wonder if there are farangs moaning and whinging everyday in Iraq and Afgahnistan that things are not as up to standard as it is in their countries.

But one thing I'm quite sure is there certainly must be some complaining about telephone booths not available in an African jungle!

I am really starting to feel sorry for those who are so unlucky that they only encounter bad things in Thailand but are not able to go back to where they originally came from. My condolences.

I wonder if there are farangs moaning and whinging everyday in Iraq and Afgahnistan that things are not as up to standard as it is in their countries.

But one thing I'm quite sure is there certainly must be some complaining about telephone booths not available in an African jungle!

I am really starting to feel sorry for those who are so unlucky that they only encounter bad things in Thailand but are not able to go back to where they originally came from. My condolences.

in my experience with road rescue over the last 23 years and thailands ability to deal with it !!!

the volunteers can only do what they know, are taught, or learn from experience.

im sure they do there best at the time and to the best of there capability.

now we know that things go missing at the scene, but not in every case, so where back to thai style and mai penn rai.

its not perfect but its the way it is.

hence my fear of road transport. :D

my greatest fear in asia is road accident as you cannot count on european standards regard extracation and wound management in a lot of cases.

if your lucky the professional medics arrive . ( doctors )

im sure these people do there very best.

too have to deal with this situation is incredibly stressfull especially when its thai style with every person yelling and screaming at the scene of the incident.

the only answer is for the government to get real with this issue and provide proper emergency response vehicles with fully qualified people.

but people, we are in los and this is the reality of the situation.

one can discuss this issue into the next millinium and things wont change, but then a gain you never know.

cheers :o

I was simply stating that the aforementioned ambulances were fairly well equipped when I looked in the back of one. They weren't completely outfitted to Western-standards, but I was duly impressed by the equipment they did have... as opposed to the other type of delivery systems, the pick-ups.

And i am stating that they are mostly used for referrals (and yes, also for pick ups from homes), but rarely for EMS. I state that because i see this several times a week, for the last 6 years or so, and not just because i once had a peek at them.

The non - Por Teck Tueng ambulances you see mostly at accident scenes in certain districts of Bangkok are from Watchila volonteers, and they only send injured to the Watchila hospital (which is a bit of a problem when the injured has to be referred later on to the hospital he is insured with). These ambulances are not very well equipped.

Some are indeed from hospitals, called "gu chieve", from the central district government hospital, and they are generally creating more problems than they are of use. They generally come too late, have halftrained personal on board (including volunteers that were thrown out of the foundations), boss around proper medical doctors from the foundations, and have often less equipment than the Por Teck Tueng volonteers in their pick up trucks. But they look all shiny, and therefore must have left a lasting impression with you.

A gas bottle is not what i call impressive equipment. Most of those "western style" ambulances have neither spinal boards nor air polsters for fractures, which are far more important than a gas bottle.

Por Teck Tueng ambulances have state of the art equipment, and medical doctors from the best hospitals volonteering. They are called generally when an injured cannot be transported in a pick up truck, but is stable enough for the longer wait, as there are not too many of the Por Teck Tueng ambulances.

The Por Teck Tueng volonteers in their pick up trucks would love to include gastanks to their equipment, unfortunately by law they are not allowed.

Edited by ColPyat

And i am stating that they are mostly used for referrals (and yes, also for pick ups from homes), but rarely for EMS. I state that because i see this several times a week, for the last 6 years or so, and not just because i once had a peek at them.

The non - Por Teck Tueng ambulances you see mostly at accident scenes in certain districts of Bangkok are from Watchila volonteers, and they only send injured to the Watchila hospital (which is a bit of a problem when the injured has to be referred later on to the hospital he is insured with). These ambulances are not very well equipped.

Some are indeed from hospitals, called "gu chieve", from the central district government hospital, and they are generally creating more problems than they are of use. They generally come too late, have halftrained personal on board (including volunteers that were thrown out of the foundations), boss around proper medical doctors from the foundations, and have often less equipment than the Por Teck Tueng volonteers in their pick up trucks. But they look all shiny, and therefore must have left a lasting impression with you.

As a reminder, I'm not a resident of BKK...so the ones I've seen belong to Samitivej and Phyathai hospitals here locally... and to reiterate I've seen them at both accident scenes as well as providing EMS at a neighbor's home when they were summoned.

A gas bottle is not what i call impressive equipment. Most of those "western style" ambulances have neither spinal boards nor air polsters for fractures, which are far more important than a gas bottle.

You're showing a complete lack of knowledge for proper medical treatment if you don't think oxygen is a critical component in the treatment of many emergency situations.

:o:D and yes.... far more important for a greater number of scenarios than air splints. This comment of yours would bring into question whether you know what you talking about.

Not to mention that I stated oxygen was but one of several examples of the supplies onboard the ambulance, not the only piece of gear.

As for what they look like and carry, here's an example of a local ambulance that isn't a pick-up truck:

Samitivej Hospital Sriracha Ambulance:

thmateriaal.jpg

goodambulance.jpg

Por Teck Tueng ambulances have state of the art equipment, and medical doctors from the best hospitals volonteering. They are called generally when an injured cannot be transported in a pick up truck, but is stable enough for the longer wait, as there are not too many of the Por Teck Tueng ambulances.

The Por Teck Tueng volonteers in their pick up trucks would love to include gastanks to their equipment, unfortunately by law they are not allowed.

It is encouraging that you now at least concede now that your foundation and the other foundation are NOT the only providers of EMS in BKK, as you previously stated, or anywhere else for that matter.

Although 2 minutes on a search engine could have easily disproven that contention of yours as well:

The Bangkok Heart Hospital provides 24-hour regular and special CCU ambulance services. Each ambulance is equipped with monitoring devices and resuscitation equipment. The medical team, specialized in taking care of patients with severe heart diseases, accompanying with the ambulance is always prepared to act efficiently in any life-threatening situation, in order to save people's lives in a shortest duration.

http://www.medretreat.com/index.php?t=proc...k_hospital&

=============================

Piyavate Hospital

Our in-house ambulance service is staffed with professional paramedics and can save precious minutes in life-threatening situations

http://www.medretreat.com/index.php?t=proc...e_hospital&

===================================

Ambulance

310-3456

Bangkok General Hospital

New Petchburi Rd.,

Soi Soonvijai

Ambulance

632-0582-6

Bangkok Nursing Home (BNH)

Convent Rd.,

between Silom & Sathorn

Ambulance

667-2999

Bumrungrad Hospital

Sukhumvit Rd.,

Soi 3

Ambulance

392-0011

Samitivej Hospital

Sukhumvit Rd.,

Soi 49

Ambulance

675-5000

St. Louis Hospital

215 Sathorn South Rd.

Ambulance

361-2712-61

Thai Nakharin Hospital

345 Bang Na Trat Rd.

Ambulance

731-7000

Samitivej Sri Nakharin Hosp.

Sri Nakharin Rd.

======================================

Bangkok Hospital

Ambulance Service is dedicated to providing the people throughout the country with the highest levels of prehospital medical emergency care and patient transport.

Our Motorlance is a fast, free emergency service, which arrives to emergency scenes before the ambulance so care can be administered quicker. The Motorlance is fully equipped with modern life saving equipment such as a defibrillator, oxygen, medicines, etc.

http://www.bangkokhospital.com/english/refer/refer.asp

====================================

go ahead and sleep on that... I am.