A week at a beach for little boy, wife and Thai family

richardb

Oat milk having been successfully procured ( see another thread ) Master C and Mama are in Roi Et. Master C's Thai is coming on nicely. It is hot and agricultural and he has a rash or so. A week by the seaside would be just great.

I am thinking the eastern seaboard is going to be closest?

So a hotel, or maybe better a resort or some kind of place where you have a chalet and can self cater/or eat out near the sea for a Thai family is what I am hunting for.

Something good for Thai families ? I take a guess it will be Grandmama , mama, sister ,maybe sisters hubby, Wife , Master C, teenage cousin and two pre teenage boys.

Budget would be goodwhistling.gif

I have had a couple of very helpful replies on my thai uk forum. Basically hug the Cambodian border till you get to laem sing.

Looking at the map that seems very sensible rather than going all the way west to BKK then driving south. At least as the crow flies its a shorter distance and the little boy is only 2 1/2

I have been given this website and the resorts do look like they would suite. Pretty reasonable prices quoted.

Anyone have any personal experience of the below listings or a similar link given your more local knowledge?

http://www.laemsing.com/laemsing_chanthaburi_accommodation.html

Any ideas ladies and gents?

Thanks always.

Richard

I don't hope your are paying for the whole entourage.whistling.gif

Koh Chang is very nice but perhaps a bit more expensive than what you are looking for.

But try Agoda, I found many good hotels this way and they have from 5 star down to 1 star.

Hi

2010 we stayed at Laem Sing, Siri Hotel, was fine, however - and we've lived in Chanthaburi since March 2011, Laem Sing beach itself is not a swimming beach I'd recommend, at any time of the year. As it's located at the mouth of the Chan River it is generally clouded by silted river water, and at times of the year a lot of plastic/branches/rubbish washes down the river an deposits itself along the shoreline

20km further up the coast is Chao Lao; I think better in all respects for a family. At Laem Sadet (2km past roundabout) a Royal-sponsored demonstration farm, aquarium, marine education centre, mangrove walkway, all free entry, cheap eating and a good fresh market with local prawns/fish

Lots to do in Chanthaburi, have a look here

tumblr_nhbqrr9L2b1r8w5s5o2_1280.jpg

Evening at Chao Lao

• Like 1

........ Laem Sing beach itself is not a swimming beach I'd recommend, at any time of the year. As it's located at the mouth of the Chan River it is generally clouded by silted river water, and at times of the year a lot of plastic/branches/rubbish washes down the river an deposits itself along the shoreline

20km further up the coast is Chao Lao; I think better in all respects for a family. At Laem Sadet (2km past roundabout) a Royal-sponsored demonstration farm, aquarium, marine education centre, mangrove walkway, all free entry, cheap eating and a good fresh market with local prawns/fish...........

Sounds practical . I did notice on the map that Laem Sing was at the mouth of a river. I will see what I can turn up on Chao Lao.

Thanks Richard

I booked a 3 bedroom house C44 Rock Garden at Mae phim to escape Pattaya songkran.. It is fully furnished house with 3 bedrooms and nominally sleeps 8. Easy walk to beach and if the water is dirty on the beach you have a communal swimming pool.

I looked at Chantaburi but couldn't get what I wanted. It was reasonably cheap given the timings. Getting seafood will be the least of our worries.

http://www.dolphinbayresort.com/

This place is 240 km from Bangkok and 40 km south of Hua Hin - It has been approved by kids as they say and in my humble opinion the best sea side resort at a cheap price in Thailand.

Very good for kids - even for the elderly, but if you hate kids, maybe not the place.

Anyhow, highly recommended and the food is very good too and at reasonable prices.

• Like 2

Staying tonight in Bang Saen Heritage Hotel one hour drive from BKK, reasonable price very nice rooms and located across the road from a sandy beach with plenty of sun beds and umbrellas 30 baht a seat. Hardly any farangs, lovely seafood restaurants, no ripoffs,would recommend it and the area. A different class from Pattaya and Phuket. Give it a try for a family holiday.

• Like 1

Hi

2010 we stayed at Laem Sing, Siri Hotel, was fine, however - and we've lived in Chanthaburi since March 2011, Laem Sing beach itself is not a swimming beach I'd recommend, at any time of the year. As it's located at the mouth of the Chan River it is generally clouded by silted river water, and at times of the year a lot of plastic/branches/rubbish washes down the river an deposits itself along the shoreline

20km further up the coast is Chao Lao; I think better in all respects for a family. At Laem Sadet (2km past roundabout) a Royal-sponsored demonstration farm, aquarium, marine education centre, mangrove walkway, all free entry, cheap eating and a good fresh market with local prawns/fish

Lots to do in Chanthaburi, have a look here

tumblr_nhbqrr9L2b1r8w5s5o2_1280.jpg

Evening at Chao Lao

Don't eat the crustaceans, unless you want to get sick! anything swimming near a river outlet, especially near Bangkok is

loaded with harmful bacteria and possible Ecoli .......Where do you think all the clog water goes to? Your swimming in spit and S*it.

I agree with Classic Ray, Bang Saen. This is "the" holiday destination for middle class Thais. Prices reasonable, all kind of accommodation available, simply arrive, drive through town, find a house and ask the locals ( may be not on Thai holidays).

Beach extremely kid and non swimmer friendly, Thai food available round the clock, so afternoon papaya pok pok no "pobem".

You rent a house in walking distance to beach, you (I mean of course your female entourage) can cook the favorite food.

Hardly any beer bellied muscle clad older farang with 18 year old Thai girl in arm, but also no farang style nightlife and bikini clad girls on the beach but mostly Tshirt dressed non swimmers having fun in knee deep water. But of course, you can ride the banana boat.

You want to become, when you are not already, the hero of your extended Thai family, then go to Bang Saen, all for reasonable money.

• Like 1

I have had a couple of very helpful replies on my thai uk forum

Always found that forum a strange place. Does the guy that runs it (Tobias I think his name), still post a weekly "blog" declaring his travel plans for the week that will stop him posting. (yet he posts 30 times daily in a school teacher type manner.)?

On your query Koh Samet and Koh Chang are both lovely and worth a shout.

.......You rent a house in walking distance to beach, you (I mean of course your female entourage) can cook the favorite food.............. But of course, you can ride the banana boat.

You want to become, when you are not already, the hero of your extended Thai family, then go to Bang Saen, all for reasonable money.

I wish it were so but I am stuck in the UK. I started my own business so it is work work work. Wife and boy are out for 6 weeks. I am merely the finder and organiser of the beach break.

Richard

Staying tonight in Bang Saen Heritage Hotel one hour drive from BKK, reasonable price very nice rooms and located across the road from a sandy beach with plenty of sun beds and umbrellas 30 baht a seat. Hardly any farangs, lovely seafood restaurants, no ripoffs,would recommend it and the area. A different class from Pattaya and Phuket. Give it a try for a family holiday.

Looks good but out of my price range. At least it will be if the whole family go. Richard

Edited by richardb

If you send your extended family alone, nothing better than Ban Saen. Don't worry, your family will find a decent and not too pricey accommodation. Best would be a town house with several sleeping rooms, big spacy ground floor where the whole bunch can sit around food. Cooking outside on the pedestrian. When they arrive with own car, fill it up with stove etc. like for an outing.

Park the car somewhere and let the best on foot walk around finding and negotiating an accommodation.

As it is not Pattaya, no ripoffs, Thais deal with Thais.

Same when they come by bus.

Propose Bang Saen to your family, most people know Bang Saen, the no. 1 Thai holiday place for ages.

PS

have been there twice with Thai friend including extended family.

May be arriving Saturday can be a problem but you should know, for Thais there is always a practical solution.

it may be wise to give them a budget for accommodation, otherwise they move in a posh resort ( not your wife but the relatives and your wife can't say know because of face loosing)

• Like 1

........ Laem Sing beach itself is not a swimming beach I'd recommend, at any time of the year. As it's located at the mouth of the Chan River it is generally clouded by silted river water, and at times of the year a lot of plastic/branches/rubbish washes down the river an deposits itself along the shoreline

20km further up the coast is Chao Lao; I think better in all respects for a family. At Laem Sadet (2km past roundabout) a Royal-sponsored demonstration farm, aquarium, marine education centre, mangrove walkway, all free entry, cheap eating and a good fresh market with local prawns/fish...........

Sounds practical . I did notice on the map that Laem Sing was at the mouth of a river. I will see what I can turn up on Chao Lao.

Thanks Richard

Laem Sing is a quiet area and if you go over the bridge and turn left there a few small Thai resorts up there with various size of chalets. There is a small beach on the other side of the headland, Aow Yang. Come over the bridge and turn right then first left, just follow the road to the sea. There is also some chalets there.

Overall for a wider range of facilities, I would agree with some of the other posts that Bang Saen would be a better choice. The aquarium at Bang Saen is a lot bigger and more interesting than the one at Laem Sadet. You also have Monkey Mountain and Ang Sila nearby.

Looks good but out of my price range. At least it will be if the whole family go. Richard

There is a lot of Thai style chalet accommodation along beach road at Bang Saen.

Dont go too much east !

Sundflies on the beaches, up to 2 months healing, no medicine;

And closer to east and Cambodia - Malaria is there !!

Rayong Area is ok !!

You want go on SongKhran ?

take reservation early,

this time overpriced,

Resorts have to compensate there whole year losses !!

Stayed at Nice Beach Resort Rayong. Has good swimming pool,across the road is the beach with many tables and chairs under the cover of trees where you can order all types of Thai food. Has a family mart next door . Day trips to Koh Samet . Very quiet. Agoda has this Resort on their website.