Mess with Non-B and Work Permit

I hope you informed guys can assist me. Here is the situation.

I have a Non-Imm B that expired on Feb 28 BUT was extended for seven days at Chaengwattana last Friday to allow time to obtain one missing piece of paperwork that would allow the one year permission to stay. This was granted.

I already have a work permit and now the paperwork is in hand.

Our law firm is now saying I must travel to Singapore to obtain a new Non--Imm B.

My question: now I have all the necessary paperwork will I likely be granted the extension to match my Work Permit if I go to Chaengwattana again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy1308.

Immigration has taken the position of not doing extensions during the 7 days to leave period. This has been a change of policy for about 6 months now.

Not sure why they are telling you to go to Singapore. Their are closer and friendlier embassies and consulates to go to.

• Like 1

You should get a single entry non-b visa with paperwork from company and your work permit.

You would get a 90 day entry if you get the visa.

I would choose Penang or Vientiane over KL. KL is not predictable on their requirements and are often not friendly now.

Immigration has taken the position of not doing extensions during the 7 days to leave period. This has been a change of policy for about 6 months now.

Not sure why they are telling you to go to Singapore. Their are closer and friendlier embassies and consulates to go to.

To be fair, I got a Non B in Singapore 2 months ago and they could not have been more helpful or courteous. Vientiene before that was quite rude. The problem I have with Singapore is that it is so expensive to stay for any legnth of time.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I hope so. I just acquired my first permit and first 1 year Non B. I went to do the work visa first and then the work permit, however the process had reversed just recently. I was required to obtain my work permit first and take that with me to the embassy in Penang where they issued me the one year non b. It was very easy to obtain the work permit beforehand. I know next year the company will be required to show our registered staff.

People who are applying for Work Permits should be aware that Immigration and the Labour Dept have changed their requirements quite drastically recently. I know someone who works in the area of Non-B and Work Permit and she tells me that now all financial documents supporting the Application have to be certified by the relevant government departments. Depending on the Applicant's status (CEO, CFO etc of larger companies) this can be quite time consuming especially if the Work Permit has various locations in different Provinces.

The new requirements are that for each Application financial documents have to be separately certified. Documents such as Company employee tax withholding must be certified on a current monthly basis. It is not a case of get the documents certified once a year and then use them for multiple Applications.

Also now Immigration/Labour Dept require that in the case of a WP renewal the Applicant (and any dependents, spouse and children) must attend to have a 'current' photo taken. This is regardless of whether or not an Applicant has come through Immigration recently (like yesterday!!) at a border control point (e.g., airport etc) and had their photo taken as they pass through Immigration. Before these changes renewal Applications could be completed without the Applicant being present at all.

It is highly recommended that anyone renewing their WP find out well in advance from the Labour Dept what documents need to be certified by which government departments. In the case that all the documents are not present at the time of renewal it can happen that the WP 'expires' and the person will have to leave the Kingdom and have a new Non-B issued.

According to my friend these changes are very time consuming especially when dealing with several governments and possibly more than one Province.

It would appear that the changes may be about raising money as each certification costs 6 baht per page and some of the documents can be quite large. I am told that on average it costs 1,000 baht to get all the documents certified. While this doesn't sound much it is the time and work involved where the real cost becomes apparent. It is open to speculation whether the changes are to make it more difficult for foreigners to gain a WP. It is certainly a case of more hoops to jump through.

Edited by lujanit

I was in the same situation October last year. However I was able to extend my WP (for a new job) for 3 month and the extension of stay for 1 month without leaving Thailand. After that the EoS was granted for the duration of the WP, now both are extended for 1 y.

When did immigration start issuing work permits. The Labor Ministry does them.

Immigration has made moves to stop lawyers, agents and etc form doing the extensions without the applicant present. The photo requirement seems to be part of that.

When did immigration start issuing work permits. The Labor Ministry does them.

Immigration has made moves to stop lawyers, agents and etc form doing the extensions without the applicant present. The photo requirement seems to be part of that.

Yes you are correct Ubonjoe, my bad. I will fix the post. It is the Labour Dept that issues WP. My confusion lies in that my friend deals mainly with the OSSC in Chumchari Square and there the process is seamless between Immigration and the Labour Dept.