Average mileage lifespan for toyota & isuzu diesel engines?

Why dont they use Engine Hour Meters,as in Boats,Generators etc.A CAT engine in a Mack lasts for ages,as do Cummings in Yank pick ups. Overstressed TinyTurbo Clonkers here soon blow,hardly much better than a Petrolcoffee1.gif

They don't use an hour meter because the odometer is a good indicator of the amount of time the engine has spent moving (running) An engine at idle does not cause much wear at all.

As in sitting for 3 Hrs in BKK every Friday.A Diesel doesn't enjoy tic over,but it loves 2.5 K Plus.

Anyway,in everyday use as ferangs use them here , they suffer the same annoying let downs as a Benzine. Air Con ,Water pump,Fuel pump Timing belt,Oil pump,Auto Box etc. So unless ones a Hi Cliks Guy,think about whether You Need a Truck,or were you pushed by Er in Doors n Family.E85 now 24 Bht P.L.biggrin.png

Why dont they use Engine Hour Meters,as in Boats,Generators etc.A CAT engine in a Mack lasts for ages,as do Cummings in Yank pick ups. Overstressed TinyTurbo Clonkers here soon blow,hardly much better than a Petrolcoffee1.gif

Right. When they're engineering the engines in cars, the benchmark is always hours of runtime, not KM travelled. 8,000 hours is a typical design target for a pickup diesel.

Have you worked for a diesel engine manufacturer? They run engines in engine dynos and on vehicles.

Ive worked for CAT and Ford Sabre Marine Engines for years,whats your point. 8000 Hrs is correct for Light Commercials as IMHO says double that for a D11,CAT Dozer,its a tad bigger though. facepalm.gif .

My point is that in diesels in vehichles they measure life expectancy or recommended rebuild interval based on miles or km.

They do road testing to verify that but they also do testing in dyno cells to run engines through transient and steady state cycles.

In agriculture, marine, Gensets it's in hours. I asked if you worked for an engine manufacturer because I wanted to know if you had any credibility...and it sounds like you do...so no disrespect intended.

Edited by 1BADDAT

I had a friend with a Izuzu diesel. He bought the truck used. The last time I talked to him it was coming up on 900,000 KMS. He said yeh it smokes a bit, but it starts up quite easily and takes him to work every morning. I have a Toyota 3 litre diesel, purchased new in 2005. It now has 150,000 Kms. I have not had any problems with this vehicle and consider it the best vehicle I have ever owned. I do one thing, as one of the other posters mention. I change the oil and filter ever 4,000 miles, or about 6,000 KMS. This is more often than the manufacturer suggest, but for the price of an oil change in this country, this is the best money you can spend to take care of your vehicle. Keep your air filter clean. I never let anyone work on my car but Toyota. No one know how to care for a Toyota better than Toyota. They will tell you when its time to change other lubricants such as transmission and differential grease. Follow their schedules and a Toyota pickup will probably out live you.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why dont they use Engine Hour Meters,as in Boats,Generators etc.A CAT engine in a Mack lasts for ages,as do Cummings in Yank pick ups. Overstressed TinyTurbo Clonkers here soon blow,hardly much better than a Petrolcoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Right. When they're engineering the engines in cars, the benchmark is always hours of runtime, not KM travelled. 8,000 hours is a typical design target for a pickup diesel.

Engine hours are a better measure of use. Mining and Construction equipment use hour meters for this reason. Most car drivers are familiar with kms or miles so not likely to change. There is another theory on cumulative fuel use but that's another story.

Pick up diesels are not really over-stressed but they are not designed to last the same as heavy diesels. Typical heavy diesel overhaul life is 20,000 hours depending on load factor.

Anyway,in everyday use as ferangs use them here , they suffer the same annoying let downs as a Benzine. Air Con ,Water pump,Fuel pump Timing belt,Oil pump,Auto Box etc. So unless ones a Hi Cliks Guy,think about whether You Need a Truck,or were you pushed by Er in Doors n Family.E85 now 24 Bht P.L. alt=biggrin.png>

Many modern petrol engines will run for a long long time if looked after and not thrashed. Our work cars and pickups usually go to 300,000 - 400,000 km before selling with very few engine problems over the years. The engine problems we did have were from damaged inlet ducting and overheating rather than purely wear. These will kill petrol and diesel alike.

Many personal cars are sold long before the engine wears out because the owner is bored with the car and repairing other bits and pieces.

• Like 2

Ford Tractors fitted a very nice Tubo Boost Gauge on their first Turbo Engines.By Customer demand they fitted a Glass Air Fliter with a Ping Pong Ball inside. Easy for the Farmer to see when it was about to Spool Up during heavy plowing,as it boosted the ball spun faster. Never forgotten that for some reason.biggrin.png

As many have mentioned, key to all of the above longevity regardless of make or model is the quality of oil. Personally I like fully synthetic oil in mine. Changing 20,000km. Regular air filter maintenance as well. Its like 300 baht - I know you can blast them of with an air line but never as good as a new one. So I do that with the oil and filter. Fuel filter same time. Throw a bit of 2 Stroke in with the diesel @200:1 ish ratio to keep the injectors lubricated nicely. All good.

It'll grenade on the way home now because I said the above lol knowing my luck....

• Like 1