Average mileage lifespan for toyota & isuzu diesel engines?

I am trying to figure out what is the average mileage lifespan for toyota & isuzu diesel engines?

I always heard that diesel engines last longer than gasoline engines, is this true?

As usually I would use my gasoline cars to around 200,000 to 225,000 miles = 321,000-360,000 kilometers before I would sell them in the USA.

Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Current Dmax Isuzu 3.0 2004 model. about 450,000km. No issues except consumables.

I think you can expect at least 500,000 km. Probably longer here than in a cold climate, as no issues with cold starting/ oil viscosity. My dmax is 8 years old and 225,000 km... just run in!

I always heard that diesel engines last longer than gasoline engines, is this true?

In general, diesel engines last longer. In the U.S. the majority of diesels on the road are medium or heavy duty vehicles. Those engines are designed for towing and heavy duty use as work vehicles. All the components are deigned to last longer.

Passenger car and light duty diesel engines in the trucks here are not designed in the same way. I think you should expect to get better life than a comparable gas engine, but that gap here may not be that big. You also have to consider that the engine is not the only part of a truck to wear out.

My neighbour had a Toyota with more than 600'000 km.

Though this one was in bad condition, he had a hard time to start it and it blew an incredible black exhaust fume (black as coal).

He sold it later for 150'000 Baht !!!

Stepson's old Toyota of 1988 (27 years) has at least 450'000 km.

Starts without a problem, no excessive fume.

But: heavily rusted, interior (seats) totally torn apart, door lock not working anymore and so on.

It was mostly used "out in the sticks" for farming.

He got a new one this year.

The old one will continue to run for his brother.

I see other pickups drive daily, like a Mazda that must be over 30 years old in a not so bad condition.

Unfortunately no idea about the mileage.

You should know that many rural Thais will not care about regular maintenance and care, which explains some of the above,

Edited by KhunBENQ

In general diesel engines last much longer than gasoline engines.

Once in a Mercedes-diesel taxi in Germany: taxi driver told me the engine was no good, if it did not al least 1.000.000 (one million) km.

Our vet in rural Thailand drives an old Toyota Mighty X; over 600.000 km with the same engine.

I have an 18 year old Mighty X: 300.000 KM; no problems, like new.

Also for a diesel engine the rule is: maintain it well: check water and cooling fluid. Change oil, oil filters regularly.

• Like 2

We had around 100 Toyota Crowns bought in 1989 for our project in Libya running on petrol, as petrol is cheaper than water in Libya and no need to consider diesel. Some had clocked over 1 Million kms on the same engine due to the company's lack of funds to replace them.

In the UK I had a fleet of various vehicles, the Fords, Leylands and GMs clapped out mostlly around 80,000miles. I then had Mitusbishi vans running on gas during the fuel crisis but these engines clapped out at 80,000miles also. I then bought 18 Toyota Hi-Ace Diesel vans that were doing over 100,000miles/year but we replaced them after 3 years. However the engines were still going strong and the vans were still in good nick and cost little to maintain.

In general, diesel engines last longer. In the U.S. the majority of diesels on the road are medium or heavy duty vehicles. Those engines are designed for towing and heavy duty use as work vehicles. All the components are deigned to last longer.

Sure!

As diesel engines have a much higher compression ratio than gasoline motors, they require more rugid and hardened seals and cylinder housing for instance.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Also for a diesel engine the rule is: maintain it well: check water and cooling fluid. Change oil, oil filters regularly.

That is what my fellow Thais often miss out tongue.png

They run it until the next breakdown, then fix it cheaply and continue.

Not the best way to maintain a vehicle.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Owned a 1986 4wd isuzu trooper 2.8 turbo which died at 871.200 km due to a broken camshaft. Changed glow plug ones and also the fuel injectors. Rebuild turbo at 500.000 something. Replaced waterpump and put new bearings in the dyno. It started to use engine oil, I just put in another grade and the problem was solved. It was `a tractor`, nothing fancy but a great dieseltruck.

Edited by Carib

ISUZU DMAX - Around 600,000 km not a single problem (company truck use for delivery and purchasing)

Honda CRV - Around 500,000 km not a single problem

I feel like most japanese cars can last for a while, the only reason they don't is the crappy maintenance job that they do and using oem parts that are poor quality which leads to engine failure, or the fact that they don't try to fix the engine/car when there is a problem.

Another reason why cars don't last long is if they have been in a serious accident

Old friend has a 1978 Nissan Trooper rag top diesel....785+ K kilometers on the donk

with only minor regular maintenance. Thing refuses to die. He's changed transfer cases

& diff's & axels numerous times though...plus 2 gearbox swapouts. But the engine is as

good as it was new.

Basically your diesel engine will outlive the rest of the vehicle, probably even you!

The important thing is the oil; I have been advised by a number of mechanics, to change it and the filters more frequently that the manufacturer recommends.

Had it best explained by a mechanic friend in Canada.....diesel is an oil and gas is a solvent. Which would you rather have running through your engine?

500,000 km should be an expected minimum mileage from an engine with regular oil changes and servicing

Diesel engines rpm is normally around half the speed of a gas engine. Diesel fuel has the effect of an upper cylinder lubricant. Normally an equivalent Diesel engine will last much longer than a gas engine.

Take the time to google "the million mile Volvo" it's a gas engined car that's covered over 3million miles.

• Like 1

HI! ASSUMING YOU CARE AND MAINTAIN THE VEHICLE IN A REASONABLE MANNER,USING A GOOD QUALITY ENGINE OIL, KEEP ALL YOUR FILTERS IN EXCELLENT ORDER, FUEL OIL AND AIR, (most important) NO REASON WHAT SO EVER YOUR ENGINE SHOULD NOT DO 1,000,000 KLS. CARE FOR THE INJECTORS, USE GOOD FUELS. SOME HARD WORK IS ALSO GOOD FOR THE ENGINES. DRIVE WELL.

GOOD LUCK!

Diesel engines rpm is normally around half the speed of a gas engine. Diesel fuel has the effect of an upper cylinder lubricant. Normally an equivalent Diesel engine will last much longer than a gas engine.

Take the time to google "the million mile Volvo" it's a gas engined car that's covered over 3million miles.

Correct answer.................thumbsup.gif

May I add, if a timing belt (Toyota), be sure to change it at the correct interval.

2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0L Diesel...it has 140KM on it...still running great...doesn't burn oil...gets the same fuel mileage as when new...starts so fast I can hardly hear the starter briefly engage. Yeap, still running great....knock on wood (my head).

The only minor problems I've had is the value cover gasket needed replacement at approx. 130KM because of some very small oil seepage (it didn't really need to be replaced as it was just making the cylinder head a little oily in a few places but I had it changed anyway...now the cylinder head is bone dry again...Toyota dealership only charged around 1100 baht to change the gasket plus a few others in the process including labor and parts...they had the SUV for about 4 hours). And the starter solenoid electrical contact disc needed cleaning at around 80KM due to intermittent starting (it was corroded-up like a battery terminal can get...the Toyota dealership disassembled the starter/solenoid and cleaned the solenoid contact with a wire brush and sandpaper while I was watching...reminded me of my younger days and rebuilding/fixing some of my GM car starters....Toyota dealership labor cost was around 500 baht...been running fine since).

• Like 1

Why dont they use Engine Hour Meters,as in Boats,Generators etc.A CAT engine in a Mack lasts for ages,as do Cummings in Yank pick ups. Overstressed TinyTurbo Clonkers here soon blow,hardly much better than a Petrolcoffee1.gif

They don't use an hour meter because the odometer is a good indicator of the amount of time the engine has spent moving (running) An engine at idle does not cause much wear at all.

Why dont they use Engine Hour Meters,as in Boats,Generators etc.A CAT engine in a Mack lasts for ages,as do Cummings in Yank pick ups. Overstressed TinyTurbo Clonkers here soon blow,hardly much better than a Petrolcoffee1.gif

Right. When they're engineering the engines in cars, the benchmark is always hours of runtime, not KM travelled. 8,000 hours is a typical design target for a pickup diesel.