Scooter

Sd12

I got a "sallat" as my wife calls it. A steel frame bolted onto the scooter(Honda wave) to carry things. There is now a good deal of front end wobble, especially turning corners at lower speeds. We took it to someone who fixes bikes in the village and he said this was normal. You just have to hold the bars stronger he said. Has anyone else had this experience with front end wobble.

Thanks all for taking the trouble to reply. I took the bike to a different garage and he basically said, through my wife as I don't speak Thai yet, that Thais don't bother so much with wheel alignment as " fallangs " do, and also don't bother with getting everything so straight[emoji1]. I did admire his honesty. After he tried it he said it was a fair wobble. left it with him and he tightened everything and also the head bearings. 100baht. It is 100% better now. Just have to get used to using it now. Had the wheel off the ground a few times on the way back, on left hand bends. Maybe leave this bike for the wife to use[emoji6]

• Like 1

I had one of these made for my stepson and think I saw a tape measure, but that was it, all done by eye and ear. They use whatever they have in terms of materials and tools, some are really good, others no so good and if the bike is not 100% that won't help either.

Probably a good idea to get it set up well as these things are not the best handling things in Thailand and find potholes slightly more easily than bike.

Take care....

Oh and a top tip, make sure you have lights on the side car, many don't and look like motorbikes, especially scary when they are the wrong side of the road in the dark.

Thanks AllanB. It's a big improvement now. We have spoken to a couple of people and the shop we went to sells good ones but they are not good at setting them up. The bike is actually about 6 months old and the stepson i bought it for has decided to give up all his worldly goods to become a buddha! I notice when i drive from Udon Thani to Kutchap it can be a bit hairy if you can't see bikes until the last second. I didn't put lights on at this time but we won't be venturing out at night with it as we have another bike anyway without one. We will stick a few cds on the back just now.

Thanks AllanB. It's a big improvement now. We have spoken to a couple of people and the shop we went to sells good ones but they are not good at setting them up. The bike is actually about 6 months old and the stepson i bought it for has decided to give up all his worldly goods to become a buddha! I notice when i drive from Udon Thani to Kutchap it can be a bit hairy if you can't see bikes until the last second. I didn't put lights on at this time but we won't be venturing out at night with it as we have another bike anyway without one. We will stick a few cds on the back just now.

CDs!!!!

Come on you are clearly not broke, at the very least buy some red bicycle reflectors or even some reflective tape.

• Like 2

I have a BIL with one of these contraptions nailed to a 100 cc Wave.

He routinely puts in excess of 500 kg of palm on it.

I am confident in that figure as I have seen the weigh bridge chits.

I rode it once on a private track for about 20 metres. I thought it was a death trap. Never again.