Thai politics: Jobs for the family may be legal - but ethical?

webfact

Anything deemed to be inappropriate, whether legal or just overlooked in the law, should be avoided in politics. Politicians need to be seen to be ethical and abiding by all laws or they will not be trusted.

In the English language the word nepotism has a very negative connotation. The only word I could find in the Thai language is "คติเห็นแก่ญาติ" which means something like "a way or a principle or model of thinking about relatives", which I'm willing to bet does not necessarily carry as much negative connotation to it as in the west, though I do not know this as a fact, but according to these news reports it sure sounds like "nepotism" is a very negative concept in Thailand as well.

These politicians just don't get it. They are too thick-headed and they feel entitled.

• Like 1

Anything deemed to be inappropriate, whether legal or just overlooked in the law, should be avoided in politics. Politicians need to be seen to be ethical and abiding by all laws or they will not be trusted.

In the English language the word nepotism has a very negative connotation. The only word I could find in the Thai language is "คติเห็นแก่ญาติ" which means something like "a way or a principle or model of thinking about relatives", which I'm willing to bet does not necessarily carry as much negative connotation to it as in the west, though I do not know this as a fact, but according to these news reports it sure sounds like "nepotism" is a very negative concept in Thailand as well.

These politicians just don't get it. They are too thick-headed and they feel entitled.

The Thais wouldn't have the same derogatory attitude towards nepotism as in the West as their culture is 'family' oriented. This is why so many ordinary Thais would rather have their family work for them and 'adopt' inter family. They simply don't trust anyone outside their bloodline.

• Like 1

Are these people truly experts in the fields that they are being hired to perform. I highly doubt that they are and it is again all about who you know and not What you know. Thos country will never move forward if people continue on the same path as previous officials and politicians.

• Like 2

Just get rid of terms (and the ideas behind them) like moral, ethics, prudence, integrity and philanthropy and replace them with "Thainess" - and you won't be aware of any more problems around here. You would simply live in a land of smiles.

• Like 1

The Thais wouldn't have the same derogatory attitude towards nepotism as in the West as their culture is 'family' oriented. This is why so many ordinary Thais would rather have their family work for them and 'adopt' inter family. They simply don't trust anyone outside their bloodline.

Trying to pretend that somehow these practices are a 'Thai thing' and that in the West it is different is simply not true. I can't speak for other countries but certainly in the UK it is common for Members of Parliament to employ their wives as assistants, diary secretaries etc, and their children as "researchers', all on salaries way above the national average, all at taxpayers expense. Whilst constantly preaching to the rest of us that we must "tighten our belts", "we are all in this together" etc etc. Hypocrites all.

• Like 2

When one holds all the power, there can be NO unethical or illegal acts. Ethical standards are for the subjugated masses and not for the elite. Why else would such people be elite? You can't fault the NLA and NCPO for believing in the correctness of standards they set for themselves.

The only reform the NCPO is pursuing is the restoration of the oligarchy and this necessarily requires double standards.

• Like 1

Ethical,ethical, it's just all so hypothetical.

Where's your willy shakespeare now

Probably turning in his grave.

You probably don't appreciate the little rhyme because,said Pooh Bear,it is one of those rhymes which have to be spoken on a rainy day.

Having lived here for 6 years I can readily agree what you say is most likely true. However, it's obvious Thais, especially privileged, entitled Thais, can be quick to abuse this practice just like anyone in the west, as seems to be the case with this Admiral. Therefore, irregardless of cultural differences, it should be illegal in all cultures.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well that explains it , Thanks.