CRBR300R - two questions

Aloha Wingnut,

Well, did you narrow your choice.. will it the CBR300R? I've had mine still Jan.. I'm not riding it as much as I thought, even after all the modfication, exhaust snap on, levers, seat cover-ventilators.. I'm pleased with the choice.. If I had the baht, I would have moved up to the CBR 650 if they have it.. or the 500 series.

Honda has it down, with repairs and availability. The price is easier on our budgets..

Cheerscoffee1.gif

Hey Rhys - From Hawaii aye? Cool. I actually have a 250 and a 650. It was another guy who was thinking about buying a 300, but I was highjacking the thread talking about my 250, sprocket changes, tires, bigger bikes, etc. I am not sure if the OP decided to buy a 300 or not. Maybe he will chime in again later and let you know.

Aloha Wingnut,

Well, I do have a related question about "sprockets" and chains too. When should we replace the rear sprockets? I have used the visual of sharp teeth on the sprocket and a loose chain.. even after adjustments... Still like to keep the CBR 150 in tip top shape.

Do you miss your Lyons coffee from the islands?coffee1.gif

Aloha Wingnut,

Well, I do have a related question about "sprockets" and chains too. When should we replace the rear sprockets? I have used the visual of sharp teeth on the sprocket and a loose chain.. even after adjustments... Still like to keep the CBR 150 in tip top shape.

Shoots Brah, I don't know much about sprocket and chain lifespans I'm afraid. I'm going to replace the front sprocket on my 250 though for more torque and faster acceleration through the low gears. May lose a bit of top end speed. Now awaiting delivery of one from the states. Can't seem to find one here as it's a replacement coming from an out of production model that fits the 250.

Sorry, I was never a big coffee drinker but used to buy Lion for friends. But do miss the sunsets, trade winds, and all the crazy fun times I had there when I was a young buck. That was another lifetime though already I'm afraid.

thumbsup.gif

Aloha Wingnut,

Shoots Brah, I don't know much about sprocket and chain lifespans I'm afraid. I'm going to replace the front sprocket on my 250 though for more torque and faster acceleration through the low gears. May lose a bit of top end speed. Now awaiting delivery of one from the states. Can't seem to find one here as it's a replacement coming from an out of production model that fits the 250.

Sorry, I was never a big coffee drinker but used to buy Lion for friends. But do miss the sunsets, trade winds, and all the crazy fun times I had there when I was a young buck. That was another lifetime though already I'm afraid.

Since the wife has allowed me to keep my old bike, it is now a bit of a project bike.. I too would like to modify it a bit more... I would just like a little more performance..

Good talk story, life and time on the beach and....

Cheers Mate

Hey Rhys - From Hawaii aye? Cool. I actually have a 250 and a 650. It was another guy who was thinking about buying a 300, but I was highjacking the thread talking about my 250, sprocket changes, tires, bigger bikes, etc. I am not sure if the OP decided to buy a 300 or not. Maybe he will chime in again later and let you know.

Hi WingNut

I'm still gathering information but the CBR300R is looking more likely all the time.

David

OK guys, a third question. If I decide to buy the CBR300R (which is looking more likely), where will I most likely get the best deal? Not averse to heading out of CM to other parts of Thailand if there are better deals to be had.

David

Try the kawa Z250, or any dual cylinder 250 or 300 offering by kawa.

Especially if you are stable financially, the vibrations of the CBR 250-300 are ridiculous in comparison to the kawa 250-300 cc offerings, however fuel consumption is 50% higher.

But the stability, calmness and relaxed riding position are definately worth it. You can find a secondhand kawa for the same price as a new cbr300.

If you are going to be touring on relaxed rides, it will be worth it. If you are fast, i mean like really fast on tight curves go for the CBR 300.

For touring the kawa 250-300 bikes are well worth the refinement in rider experience.

This is coming from someone with 2 previous CBR 250's

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OK guys, a third question. If I decide to buy the CBR300R (which is looking more likely), where will I most likely get the best deal? Not averse to heading out of CM to other parts of Thailand if there are better deals to be had.

David

When I bought mine it was 133,000 baht, and that seemed to be pretty standard at all Honda dealerships. I heard the price might have gone up some places? but I can't confirm that. If in doubt, check more than one place.

Especially if you are stable financially, the vibrations of the CBR 250-300 are ridiculous in comparison to the kawa 250-300 cc offerings, however fuel consumption is 50% higher.

But the stability, calmness and relaxed riding position are definately worth it. You can find a secondhand kawa for the same price as a new cbr300.

If you are going to be touring on relaxed rides, it will be worth it. If you are fast, i mean like really fast on tight curves go for the CBR 300.

For touring the kawa 250-300 bikes are well worth the refinement in rider experience.

I haven't had any issue with vibrations on my CBR300.

Not knocking Kawa at all, they're good bikes too (especially if you're concerned about top speed), but I've been very happy with the CBR.

I am a Honda rider and generally favor Honda over Kawasaki, but I have to agree, those Z300 bikes look really fun if you don't mind spending 50% more than what a CBR300 costs (I am talking new bikes here). Probably for crusing long distances the Z300 will be more comfortable too than a CBR300. Two cylinder, so I nicer snarlier sound too and perhaps a bit more torque as well. I think it will give you almost another 10 more HP than the CBR300 as well.

I also don't think there are any vibration issues you need to worry about. I haven't experienced that either with my Honda 250 or 650. In fact, many people feel that the Hondas handle a bit better than the Kawasakis, but I can't say from personal experience.

Actually, I just phoned Sang Chai at 104/4 Nawarat road at 053-306-225 and the woman said they don't have any sprockets in stock for those old bikes and that they can't order them anymore either because the bike has been out of production for a long time. Interesting that you were able to get one there before.

The CRF250L uses the same counter-shaft and comes std with a 14t...the most common upgrade is to use a 13t front sprocket...you should be able to get a 13t from any dirt bike shop (or they will at least know where to get one...mine was made in Thailand but it came from the States LOL).

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF1321

Actually, I just phoned Sang Chai at 104/4 Nawarat road at 053-306-225 and the woman said they don't have any sprockets in stock for those old bikes and that they can't order them anymore either because the bike has been out of production for a long time. Interesting that you were able to get one there before.

The CRF250L uses the same counter-shaft and comes std with a 14t...the most common upgrade is to use a 13t front sprocket...you should be able to get a 13t from any dirt bike shop (or they will at least know where to get one...mine was made in Thailand but it came from the States LOL).

Thanks, yes, I got a JT Sprockets one on eBay for $13:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231249125429

A friend will bring it over for me at the end of the month.

Did you put one in your CBR250R? If so, how do you like it?

No, I put mine on my CRF250L...it improved it no end thumbsup.gif (also went up to 42T on the back later).

Honda should have fitted 13T as std, but as mentioned earlier it was to do with emissions/mpg etc.

No, I put mine on my CRF250L...it improved it no end thumbsup.gif (also went up to 42T on the back later).

Honda should have fitted 13T as std, but as mentioned earlier it was to do with emissions/mpg etc.

Thanks. Your bike is a dirt bike, right? I would think it already would already have more torque than a small street bike like mine and wouldn't need a sprocket change, but perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, I am really looking forward to seeing how it rides after the sprocket change. I should be able to change it by the end of the month.

Also, if you change the back sprocket I would think you would have to change your chain too, or at least on my bike I think you would. That is what I gathered from the long thread I read about it on another forum. But I think just removing one tooth from the front sprocket and all that is needed is to pull the back wheel back a bit to tighten the chain a bit more.

Thanks. Your bike is a dirt bike, right? I would think it already would already have more torque than a small street bike like mine and wouldn't need a sprocket change, but perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, I am really looking forward to seeing how it rides after the sprocket change. I should be able to change it by the end of the month.

Also, if you change the back sprocket I would think you would have to change your chain too, or at least on my bike I think you would. That is what I gathered from the long thread I read about it on another forum. But I think just removing one tooth from the front sprocket and all that is needed is to pull the back wheel back a bit to tighten the chain a bit more.

Yeah the 250L is a dirt bike (they call it a dualsport) , and makes it's power lower down the scale than yours...but the gearing was too tall for messing around on tight trails.

When you drop 1 tooth on the front it does move the wheel backwards...but by going up 2 on the rear it brings the adjustment back to std (you can actually run 13/43 with the std length chain)

You will notice a pleasant difference thumbsup.gif

The CBR300r is a good choice if you do a lot of riding in traffic. Also the ABS has saved me a few times so get it.. if I was on my other bike I would have dropped it.

I have 2 bikes the 300 and a 600rr.

Find I never use the 600rr in Bangkok only late at night or when there is no traffic.

The CBR300r is just so easy to get through traffic and lane split. There are times when I have been stuck in a gap on the CBR600rr thinking why didn't I take the 300r. So now I just always take it.

The CBR300r is a good choice if you do a lot of riding in traffic. Also the ABS has saved me a few times so get it.. if I was on my other bike I would have dropped it.

Find I never use the 600rr in Bangkok only late at night or when there is no traffic.

The CBR300r is just so easy to get through traffic and lane split. There are times when I have been stuck in a gap on the CBR600rr thinking why didn't I take the 300r. So now I just always take it.

I have a 250 and a 650 too, live in BKK, and do the same as you. I really only ever drive the 650 late at night when there is no traffic and otherwise I take the 250 if I want to ride somewhere daytime and be able to weave a bit. Also, the 650 gets much hotter in traffic than the 250. Not pleasant when you can't move and are stuck between two hot and steamy busses in the daytime. Bleh! And a bike with as much power and torque as a 600-650cc bike in Bangkok traffic isn't that easy to manage at crawling speeds.

You mentioned you ride your 600 "or when there is no traffic." - Please do tell, when is that time (besides after 1am) as I would like to do the same? [emoji6][emoji16][emoji2]

Can I assume you are talking about New Years time only? Haha.

I have a 250 and a 650 too, live in BKK, and do the same as you. I really only ever drive the 650 late at night when there is no traffic and otherwise I take the 250 if I want to ride somewhere daytime and be able to weave a bit. Also, the 650 gets much hotter in traffic than the 250. Not pleasant when you can't move and are stuck between two hot and steamy busses in the daytime. Bleh! And a bike with as much power and torque as a 600-650cc bike in Bangkok traffic isn't that easy to manage at crawling speeds.

You mentioned you ride your 600 "or when there is no traffic." - Please do tell, when is that time (besides after 1am) as I would like to do the same? [emoji6][emoji16][emoji2]

Can I assume you are talking about New Years time only? Haha.

Exactly traffic all the time.... late at night/early morning or on Weekend mornings is ok.

Sometimes I have to work nights (like today) so its a perfect time to take the 600.

The heat coming off the 600 in a morning or afternoon commute is very unpleasant add to that the difficulty lane splitting.. ahhh. the fans are on constantly and I turn up to work a sweating mess.

My CBR300r is a perfect commuter had a Ninjette 300 but I didn't like the ergonomics for commuting.... didn't sell it.. wrote it off.. :(

• 6 months later...

Hi all.

Thanks for the great input.

I thought I would circle around and let you know the outcome. With patience, I was able to find a great CB300F, 1 year old (purchased in October 2014), one owner, with about 2k on the odometer. Took a look at it and it could pass for just coming off the dealer's floor. Still has 2 years of 1st class insurance coverage on it. We transfer the title in the morning. Quite happy with the price at 105k baht.

First upgrade will be to Michelin Pilot Street Radial tires and YSS shocks and possibly a redone seat (have to try out the original to see if my butt likes it). A few other odds and ends but nothing major. I generally prefer my bikes close to stock.

Looking forward to having it now since we are just heading into riding season.

Thanks again.

David

post-107798-0-06494700-1444814263_thumb.

Nice color, you have to be happy with the price. Also a good idea to put those Michelin's on for peace of mind. I did the same on my old Cbr250 and was able to ride with confidence again after the stock rear irc gave out on hot bitumen with no warning.

There aren't too many topics on the 300 series, the 300f riding position good for older chaps. I ended up with the 300R Repsol edition last Saturday, already 350kms added to the 1000 that was on the clock, just love the bike and it is a more refined ride than the 250.

I also test rode the 500F with 10,000km on it going for extra 20k baht, undamaged but the handling wasn't as neutral as the 300r, it bawked at cornering a bit which put me off it.

You can get a small screen fitted to the 300f , Honda Big Wing have them for 5000baht, just a thought to keep the wind off your chest,

Hi ja99 and thanks for the information about the screen. I'll definitely take a look at it.

As for the tires, I opted for Pirellis instead of Michelins. I think either would have been good, just got a nice deal on the Pirellis.

Thanks again all for the great information.

David

Hi ja99 and thanks for the information about the screen. I'll definitely take a look at it.

As for the tires, I opted for Pirellis instead of Michelins. I think either would have been good, just got a nice deal on the Pirellis.

David

Curious how much the pirellis set you back? You mentioned changing the suspension, for the rear I set the 250 to the middle position and found the ride firm but stable. Also, if you change the muffler to a lighter type, maybe Kevlar, the bike will likely perform better off the mark. The standard pipe is nice and quiet tho, looks a tad heavy to me.

Enjoy that ride, cheers

David

Curious how much the pirellis set you back? You mentioned changing the suspension, for the rear I set the 250 to the middle position and found the ride firm but stable. Also, if you change the muffler to a lighter type, maybe Kevlar, the bike will likely perform better off the mark. The standard pipe is nice and quiet tho, looks a tad heavy to me.

Enjoy that ride, cheers

ja99, I got the Pirelli Sport Dragons, front and rear set for 3900 baht (not including VAT of course) with free fitting and balance. I think Piston Shop is having a sale on them at the moment. By the way, it is a great shop that takes pride in their work and very nice folks as well. Support your local bike shops.

David