Thai Bank Account

:o Ok so as you guess I am based in UK at the moment but travel (3 times a year) to Thailand to see "my thai". I am hopefully about to go and work in the Middle East and will for tax purposes not be coming back to the UK for over a year. So can I as a non-resident open a Bank Account in Thailand? I can then get some of my salary paid to that bank and have a ATM card that will work in the Middle East.

For obvious reasons I want the bank account in my name not in "my thai" name. :D

Im sure this topic has been covered before but I have done a search and couldnt get the answer I wanted.

You could get a saving a/c in Thailand and draw the funds via an Electron card.

But if you work in the Mideast why not just open a bank a/c in the UAE, Kuwait, Bharain or wherever you are located in the Mideast.

I worked 3 1/2 years ago in the UAE (Sharjah) and still have my account working and get monthly a few hundred dollars from some UAE tour operators in the account.

Bangkok Bank offers a "savings account" similar to what is offered by Thai Farmers Bank. Just need to bring your passport and provide a local address. After paying a card fee you will get an ATM card that can be used at any Bangkok Bank ATM or any ATM in the world displaying the PLUS symbol. You might want to think about openning a Standard Chartered account if you are going to be traveling from the Middle East to Thailand frequently. You should open it in the UAE since SC's branch in Thailand requires a local work permit to open an acct.

So can I as a non-resident open a Bank Account in Thailand? I can then get some of my salary paid to that bank and have a ATM card that will work in the Middle East.

I think the non-resident might pose a problem. But if you enter the Kingdom on a non-tourist visa, it might be ok. In your case I would opt for countries interested in customers like you and my recommendation in this region is Sri Lanka. Many large international banks operate out of Sri Lanka and the banking laws in Sri Lanka are very flexible, contrary to the Thai banking laws!

Cheers…….kandt :o

Thai farmers (Chiang Mai) would not open an account for me unless I had a resident visa, which i did not have. So i went to Bank of Ayudhya, and they opened an account with just my passport. No problems at all.. I had the impression that there was a lot of uncertainty among the banks about the rules regarding accounts by foriegners and is probably even worse from branch to branch. If one branch declines you just go down the road to the next bank and they will probably open an account for you.

The big laugh is my canadian ATM card will work in Thai farmers but not in Bank of Ayudhya ATM's. When in Phayao visiting the inlaws the Thai Farmers there actually ask my wife if I would like to open an account at their branch. I was cashing in some travelers checks for a property purchase. If you have a bit oer 250,000Bt cash sitting on the desk, all the banks want your business it seems...

Later

Thai farmers (Chiang Mai) would not open an account for me unless I had a resident visa, which i did not have. So i went to Bank of Ayudhya, and they opened an account with just my passport. No problems at all.. I had the impression that there was a lot of uncertainty among the banks about the rules regarding accounts by foriegners and is probably even worse from branch to branch. If one branch declines you just go down the road to the next bank and they will probably open an account for you.

The big laugh is my canadian ATM card will work in Thai farmers but not in Bank of Ayudhya ATM's. When in Phayao visiting the inlaws the Thai Farmers there actually ask my wife if I would like to open an account at their branch. I was cashing in some travelers checks for a property purchase. If you have a bit oer 250,000Bt cash sitting on the desk, all the banks want your business it seems...

Later

The rules are that there are no rules.

Bangkok Bank in Patong beach: Passport and local address all that is necessary. They seem to be oppening accounts for tourists all the time. All I had was the 30 day stamp/visa at the time. It's now my favorite card.

That's interesting news. With local address I then believe you mean your home address?

Cheers........kandt

I got a savings account at Bangkok Bank last week. They made a photocopy of my passport, took a quick glance at my non-imm-B- visa and work contract. I also got to exchange a couple thousand dollars and stashed it there... . And also got an ATM card a few days later. :o

Last week I assisted my friend to open a savings account at Bangkok Bank, Muang Branch 2nd road Pattaya. He only had the 30 day visa and there were no requirements other than photocopies of his passport and 250 baht for the ATM card. Issue on the day too.

Bangkok Bank in Patong beach: Passport and local address all that is necessary. They seem to be oppening accounts for tourists all the time. All I had was the 30 day stamp/visa  at the time. It's now my favorite card.

That's interesting news. With local address I then believe you mean your home address?

Cheers........kandt

Local address I mean the guest house where I was staying in Patong.