If new Reformist govt is serious...

GoldenTriangle

I'm going to go out on a limb and say a whole lot of people like to do a whole lot of complaining about a whole lot of situations over which they have absolutely no control. They don't now, and they never will. But while I'm out on that limb I'm willing to bet these same people will be back bitching and moaning about the very same situations next year.

If I was unhappy about a situation over which I had no control, I'd leave. No sense staying unhappy year after year after year... unless, of course, you just like to be unhappy.

Make it a strong limb. I am out there with you.

• Like 1

-Planes have the technology to navigate through fog and clouds but not chaff smoke so it is going to cause a crash eh? I did not realize that chaff smoke blocked radio telemetry.

-Cancer from rice smoke. I don't believe you. It is a theory without substantiation.

-The rice chaff needs to removed to be able to cultivate the next crop. What is the PM going to do? Tell people just to make do without growing rice. Perhaps he can wave his hand over the fields and make all of the chaff float off into space.

It is so easy for some righteous joker to say what to do and leave out a viable way to get there.

• Like 1

This is a great topic, the OP is right in everything he says, I have already said in previous posts, and will keep on saying it, that Thailand will always be a third world country because of the low mentality of the Thai people from the farmers to the well educated, to the government.

This would be a great country if it was just possible to get the Thai IQ up to that of the top western countries, if that happened, then Thailand would be way ahead of the UK, the USA etc.

The OP substitutes his whim and speculation for scientific fact in some cases and he is generally an unknowledgeable and a sanctimonious jerk.

And you earn the dumb post of the month for, "This would be a great country if it was just possible to get the Thai IQ up to that of the top western countries..." Your arrogance, conceit, the revolting peremptoriness of your statement are untenable.

Rancid,

For someone having lived here for ten years, why did you come back in March???

Wait for June at the earliest...Rainy season clears the air and things becomes lush and green...

Between the traffic and air pollution CM is becoming less attractive by the day...

CB

-The rice chaff needs to removed to be able to cultivate the next crop. What is the PM going to do? Tell people just to make do without growing rice. Perhaps he can wave his hand over the fields and make all of the chaff float off into space.

No... it doesn't. Everything can be plowed back into the soil as 'green fertilizer. If it's done right after the harvest there will be plenty of time for biological decomposition to occur, freeing up the nutrients in it to be available for the next season's crop.

Unfortunately, that takes work. It's hard to plow a dry field using a water buffalo as power. It's easier to just burn the stuff.

Not exactly sure what your "No...it doesn't" referring to in techboy's post means. That being said about 6 years ago the government set up a ten day school to teach farmers how to use water buffalo in the rice fields. It took two days to train the Buffalo.

As for plowing it back in why can it not be done mechanically why can only Water Buffalo do it. They don't use them in America for plowing up the land.

No... it doesn't. Everything can be plowed back into the soil as 'green fertilizer. If it's done right after the harvest there will be plenty of time for biological decomposition to occur, freeing up the nutrients in it to be available for the next season's crop.

Unfortunately, that takes work. It's hard to plow a dry field using a water buffalo as power. It's easier to just burn the stuff.

An single farmer could not afford a tractor and plough but a consortium of farmers in the same location could on a share, roster basis,backed up with some initial financial imput from the Government.

Be a nice little earner for whoever organised it too.

• Like 1

Not exactly sure what your "No...it doesn't" referring to in techboy's post means. That being said about 6 years ago the government set up a ten day school to teach farmers how to use water buffalo in the rice fields. It took two days to train the Buffalo.

As for plowing it back in why can it not be done mechanically why can only Water Buffalo do it. They don't use them in America for plowing up the land.

What 'No... it doesn't' refers to is the bold text... where it says 'The rice chaff needs to removed to be able to cultivate the next crop.' There is nothing else in that paragraph that "No... it doesn't" could even apply and still be considered correct English usage.

Erm , who's seen buffalo being used in the rice fields? Farmers contract out to a tractor owner to plough the fields. Maybe small terraced fields in the hills can't do that. Btw the rice farmers aren't causing this sh1t. Their burning was mostly done in Novemberish. It's forest burning for those cr@ppy little mushrooms, corn fields being burned for CP or land owners clearing their plots where they've let them turn to jungle as no one uses them.

But some prefer to blame neighbouring countries....

Btw, if I chose to leave countries I wasn't perfectly happy with the way they're run, I'd be permanently on the move, living out of my back pack. What's wrong with calling for change? I live on planet Earth.

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

ME.. You are correct this is no from rice burning...the last rice crop season was a nov/dec burn..it is off season now and the next harvest and burn will be in April/May...my guess is only a third of those crops are rice and the rest are soybean corn potato tomato Tabasco long bean etc..some require burning (tradition) and others do not...

CB

I read up on this and the procedure that you mention should have been covered under the context if it can be applied to rice crops. Am curious to know your reference. If what you say is true though it is still likely not a feasable solution and our righteous original poster is still a jerk. Edited by techboy

I drove from Chiang mai to Buriram till the border with Cambodia and the whole area was somehow on fire. It must have been a 500 square km of burning forests and fields. This is serious matter and an attack to human health and nature. Once the UN or any other intergovernmental bodies would fine 10 billion baht the government of Thailand for creating such a disaster then maybe they will start thinking how to resolve this problem.

There must be incentives or suitable options to stop this. If they'll tell people to just stop they won't care.

I read up on this and the procedure that you mention should have been covered under the context if it can be applied to rice crops. Am curious to know your reference. If what you say is true though it is still likely not a feasable solution and our righteous original poster is still a jerk.

Check out 'Rice Growing in Japan.' They've been plowing back the fields since the beginning of time. There is 'some' burning going on, but it's very limited. Since rice is a 'grass' rather than a 'grain,' it continues to grow new shoots from the base of the plant after cutting. Many farmers actually water their fields to encourage new growth prior to plowing it all under. Why waste 'good?'

I believe the UN doesn't have that authority to punish...

The answer has to come from the Thai people...we won't see it in our lifetime as civic duty and public service are just not part of their of their structure in looking after it people, natural resources and environment...

It's very sad they have little understanding on how to problem solve important issues...it's a funny culture where they sweep dirt floors and insist on shoe removal but lack any vision on what are true human health and environmental concerns...

Hate to say it but their gov values and priorities are so misguided....and the people have no fight b/c they don't know where to turn for help....a damn sailboat without a rudder....

CB