Three Russians arrested in Phuket for card skimming

Lite Beer

300,000-400,000THB? That's like 57 Billion Russian Rubles!!

a little more than that, just checked the exchange rate, its eleventyseven-ka-billion, a tad bit more than 57 billion :-)

Errrrm no. Do you know how to do a conversion?

400,000 Bt = 742,000 Russian roubles.

KarenBravo; correct. At this moment 400,000 = 741730.77 Makes me wonder about some people on this forum

Methinks srchino was extracting the Michael.

You mean the 90-day reporting failed to detect these guys?

Isn't this the reason we have to report every 90 days?? To catch the criminals.

Yeah! Just look on Orlov's last 90 day form That will tell where he is. Just like removing guns from the law-abiding naturally disarms the criminal.

Well done bank staff and police , I had my Australian visa card skimmed a year ago after only using it 3 times in 3 months at The Siam Commercial Bank at Rawai ,, where I thought it would be safe ,covered my hand , did all the right things to be safe ,the last time was a few days before I returned I to Australia .On return to Australia I used the card a couple of times before my Australian bank contacted me and asked if I had purchased anything in eastern Europe in the last few days and where was my credit card, I advised card with me and used last few days , bank subsequently cancelled credit card , but not before A$2,800.00 had been withdrawn.Thank my buda it was Australian Visa card and I was refunded the stolen money some 4 weeks later after Australian bank checked my statement I made in writing to get refund ,I provided copy of ATM receipt of 3 transactions, and copies of 2 transactions in Australia since returning from Thailand.I believe from what I have read here Thai banks you will have problem getting money back from them if your Thai bank card is skimmed.

What this has taught me , avoid using credit cards in Thailand , now I go inside the Thai bank and withdraw money using my bankbook only. Do a travelex bank transfer from your home country to your Thai bank when your currency is up . Take cash from home country to cash to Thai baht as long as you have a secure safe to store your cash.Get a Travelex cash debit visa card for emergency use only with a limited amount of funds.Never take or use credit cards with large amount of funds available on holiday with you.If you take credit card for emergency use to buy airline tickets etc. have a low level of credit available and only use for online purchases from airlines etc. avoid ATM's.Never rely on 1 form to obtain money while overseas ,Home county debit cedit card with limited funds for airline ticket purchases , Travelex debit/credit card for emergency use , cash from home country or US dollars. Hope everyone takes this advice on board and learns like I did avoid ATM's in all asian countries and inside a bank when open best.

This is very important that debit /credit cards with large limits that have your mortgage , bills , etc., are not taken on holiday with you and used overseas , get a card with limited funds just for holiday use . If my card had of been skimmed at the beginning of my stay in Thailand , and the bank had no way of contacting me , I dread to think of the money that could have been stolen. Inform the home country bank of you travel arrangements and a contact number if you have one to check any transaction and keep all reciepts . Keep safe good luck !

• Like 1

Tired of finding these same articles on here by the day. How about some stories of Russians bringing towels to the beach, lolling around in the sun and doing a swim or so? Maybe of even frolicking with some Russian babes as well. They do come here by the boatload, or truckload, or tuk tuk load. Seems none know how to legally just have a good time. Don't they like to drink and just meet other tourists from faraway lands? Seems their country should give lessons on how to be ordinary tourists. Teach them the proper use of a.t.m's for sure. Apparently since they don't know how to use them they just decide to steal from them? Do they learn these things from their parents, or what goes on with them?

Well done bank staff and police , I had my Australian visa card skimmed a year ago after only using it 3 times in 3 months at The Siam Commercial Bank at Rawai ,, where I thought it would be safe ,covered my hand , did all the right things to be safe ,the last time was a few days before I returned I to Australia .On return to Australia I used the card a couple of times before my Australian bank contacted me and asked if I had purchased anything in eastern Europe in the last few days and where was my credit card, I advised card with me and used last few days , bank subsequently cancelled credit card , but not before A$2,800.00 had been withdrawn.Thank my buda it was Australian Visa card and I was refunded the stolen money some 4 weeks later after Australian bank checked my statement I made in writing to get refund ,I provided copy of ATM receipt of 3 transactions, and copies of 2 transactions in Australia since returning from Thailand.I believe from what I have read here Thai banks you will have problem getting money back from them if your Thai bank card is skimmed.

What this has taught me , avoid using credit cards in Thailand , now I go inside the Thai bank and withdraw money using my bankbook only. Do a travelex bank transfer from your home country to your Thai bank when your currency is up . Take cash from home country to cash to Thai baht as long as you have a secure safe to store your cash.Get a Travelex cash debit visa card for emergency use only with a limited amount of funds.Never take or use credit cards with large amount of funds available on holiday with you.If you take credit card for emergency use to buy airline tickets etc. have a low level of credit available and only use for online purchases from airlines etc. avoid ATM's.Never rely on 1 form to obtain money while overseas ,Home county debit cedit card with limited funds for airline ticket purchases , Travelex debit/credit card for emergency use , cash from home country or US dollars. Hope everyone takes this advice on board and learns like I did avoid ATM's in all asian countries and inside a bank when open best.

This is very important that debit /credit cards with large limits that have your mortgage , bills , etc., are not taken on holiday with you and used overseas , get a card with limited funds just for holiday use . If my card had of been skimmed at the beginning of my stay in Thailand , and the bank had no way of contacting me , I dread to think of the money that could have been stolen. Inform the home country bank of you travel arrangements and a contact number if you have one to check any transaction and keep all reciepts . Keep safe good luck !

So why did you conclude your card was skimmed at scb? Does skimming not happen in Australia? No chip on your card BTW?

In Australia I also rarely use an ATM , I go inside the Bank to do transactions , and card skimming in Australia is not that common , in asian countries it is rife , there are posts almost on a daily basis of gangs being caught here , but you being a senior member with many posts would be aware of that ! aren't you ?

My post and advice was to help members protect themself from ATM fraud in asia . It is simple avoid ATM's at all cost go inside the bank during bank hours to get money using bank passbook. Have emergency cash at home in a secure place Banks are open 9 am to 8pm in shopping centres , its not hard to play by these rules for your safety.I know that the last time I used my credit card at the Siam Commercial Bank there were 2 falang guys that used the machine before me and then used it again directly after me. The fraud on my credit card occurred a week or so later in eastern Europe not Russia but border country old USRR.

I worked in law enforcement in Australia for a number of years and my money is on the 2 guys lurking at the ATM before and after I used the ATM. I last used my credit card in Australia probably 1 year maybe longer before the fraud took place, too long a time gap . There are many falang living here that can not afford to the honest ones go home the scum stay here and scam $ what ever way they can drugs , skimming , stealing , bludging off friends , I avoid these people.Hope this has answer your question and you take notice of this good advice.

So why did you conclude your card was skimmed at scb? Does skimming not happen in Australia? No chip on your card BTW?

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea what sort of penalty they are facing? Fine and slap on the wrist or actual time in a jail? I read about arrests like this frequently but don't every hear of what happens to them if found guilty in court.

Very good point - we never get the follow up report. I would suspect they pay a 'fine' to someone in authority, and get deported.Come back and do it all again, quite a profitable enterprise.