PM presents his take on media ethics

Lite Beer

PM presents his take on media ethics

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha presented his own view of media ethics in a speech marking Thailand's National Media Day on Thursday, urging journalists to go beyond merely "reporting the facts."

"This morning, someone said the media needs to be impartial. No. I don't think they should say that. It isn't good," Gen Prayuth told reporters.

"What they should say is, first, media should report news that is factual. Second, they should support the government's efforts to move the country forward. And third, they should help reduce conflicts in society, and create understanding about the government's policies that give clear results. Can you not do these three or four things together, dears?"

He continued, "If this person says, this side good, that side not good, if media keeps presenting news like that, when will our country have peace?"

The general then wished the media happiness and told the journalists to "be good reporters, be quality reporters, and be lovely reporters."

"It's good that some media do cooperate with the government, but some media are not so good. However, I don't want to say their names," said Gen Prayuth.

Urged by reporters to identify the offending news outlets by name, the junta chairman replied, "No I won't say it. I can’t be bothered."

Since seizing power from an elected government on May 22, 2014, Gen Prayuth has significantly curtailed freedom of expression in Thailand by imposing a ban on public protests, sending violators to face trial in martial court, and urging the media not to criticise his regime.

On February 27, Gen Prayuth warned that any news anchors or talking heads who present opposing views about his government on television may be summoned for "discussion."

"Many shows and many channels still have problem with this," he said in a televised address to the nation. "I may need to summon you for a discussion.

“I am not censoring you. But you invite academics and guests who give totally opposite views of the issues. They talk about things that are incorrect and inaccurate."

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-07

What a great selection of threads today and oh what joy that there is not 1 junta apologist trying to turn a general gaff into an anti Thaksin thread. Long may it continue

I don't think they can keep up with the amount of threads where their beloved general is making a fool out of himself.

It would be funny if it wasn't such a scary reality that this man is running the place!

(awaits apologist to go "yeah but thaksin blaa blaa blaa)

• Like 1

What a great selection of threads today and oh what joy that there is not 1 junta apologist trying to turn a general gaff into an anti Thaksin thread. Long may it continue

I don't think they can keep up with the amount of threads where their beloved general is making a fool out of himself.

It would be funny if it wasn't such a scary reality that this man is running the place!

The man is drunk on power and his 'softly softly' approach has been replaced by his natural 'do you know who you are talking to' approach. He will only get worse

• Like 2

He continued, "If this person says, this side good, that side not good, if media keeps presenting news like that, when will our country have peace?"

Who is in charge for keeping peace, those who have the power to mess it up,- or those reporting to the public who is doing so?

City, I backed the coup and I don't regret it. Like many others, I also backed the junta in the hope (not belief, as I was here for the previous two coups) that, based on the law of averages, at least one post-coup dictatorial administration in Thailand would be benign and benevolent. There was, and still is, also the hope that this junta would be more attuned to, and be preparing for, a certain catastrophic event that is looming large.

But this is not to be, by the looks of things. Instead of developing a society that can more readily stand on its own two feet, the junta is going in the oppoite direction to all intents and purposes. Perhaps the junta took Thaksin's infamous "the UN is not my father" comment and decided that that is to be its role. :) :)

Doesn't matter who he upsets along the way, the junta HAVE to be in control for that event mate, forget the politics of the past year, it's much bigger than that, the long timers here I just don't understand why they can't see the real reason for being in control maybe they're ignoring these facts as they're too scared to think of the consequences of it all going pear shape.

It's not about Thaksin, it's about the future of the country and what it can possibly become. Forget the civil war nonesence all one needs to do is have a look around the place you live and see if the Thais are building sangars and fortifying their homes and stocking up on water and food and that will give you an indicator of what Thais feel about going to war against each other, what people don't understand is that the real enemies of the people are the class system, and how it gets abused by those with money and power, any civil war would never be about colours, it will be poor against rich, the haves against the have nots, and until you have equality amongst all Thais there's never going to be togetherness.

The general is right about that part, Thais will never come together, but that's been the way it's been with mankind for eons, Thailand is divided not by colour, but class !!

• Like 2

Journalists only need to present the facts. Everday I feel things will get better and they just get worse. He is going to ruin a perfectly good country one day.

Perfectly good country? w00t.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miG3Db-1-pI

Imagine a certain current leader in a meeting with experienced personnel. This about sums it up.

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 1

If TV people cant read and comprehend the truth in what this junta organizer is saying....they need to have their head examined. In the not so distant future things are going to get worse. Everytime this guy opens his mouth, more anti-freedom words and rhetoric comes out. Thailand is indeed going backwards in time everyday now.

Are they really going backwards, just staying the same, as many posters have pointed out the draconian laws never allowed freedom of the press.

going to get worse? worse to me would be back to violent streets, however the likelihood of a fair and democratic country seem distant.

Yes please, report the facts.

For example: Where does the unusually wealth come from?

Please report the facts about Police Officer A ............
Please report the facts about General B ………….
Please report the facts about State Official C …………
Please report the facts about Politician D ................

"I may need to summon them",,, , "No I won't say it. I can’t be bothered.".... "Can you not do these three or four things together, dears?".... "Gen Prayuth warned that any news anchors or talking heads who present opposing views about his government".... Ad nauseam (the original Latin meaning, not any new American meaning).

I believe it was Ernest Jones who first used the term "God complex"

The man is drunk on power and his 'softly softly' approach has been replaced by his natural 'do you know who you are talking to' approach. He will only get worse

Borderline psychotic is a better description. So now we have a mad monk (Issara), a psychotic pm (Prayuth) a police force being made to look like fools. Great drama you couldn't make this up.

Borderline psychotic is a better description. So now we have a mad monk (Issara), a psychotic pm (Prayuth) a police force being made to look like fools. Great drama you couldn't make this up.

The one good thing about the RTP is the consistency. Politicians, Junta's, D'tactors of all varieties, their collective corruption gives the chattering classes endless reasons to discuss whether their bunch of kleptocrats are better or worse than the other bunch of equally corrupt crooks.

The police however, much more transparent in their corruption, never changes throughout whatever the current incumbent kleptocratic regime of the day may be.

Sometimes in a troubled world, consistency can be so comforting......