Another Kind Of Speed Test

danone

everybody makes a speed test, comparing their paid bandwith with the actual one.

but in actual usage, how do super speeds compare with average ones?

could you download the sample link posted below and reply with:

1. how long does it take to fully download the page?

2. what kind of internet package you got?

3. you're where?

http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/olympuse3...ls/p3040010.jpg

many thanks - looking forward to some real world tests.

Exactly 3 minutes and 3 seconds (183 sec), or a download speed of 25.74 kBps (206 kbps), or about 80% of my rated speed

Maxnet@life 256/128, 15 km's outside of Pattaya...

Seems they are shortchanging in Penang as well! Looks like Astral only achieved a download speed of 45 kbps, or 360 kbps :o Just a bit over 33% of rated speed...

With RCM's result you can also see the difference between the home and the life package, he's also running at approx. 30% of maximum speed, compared to the 80% of the life package...

Mind you, I'm paying 60% more for only a quarter of the speed...

Edited by monty

I agree with your calculation, but it is only when I am on the browser!!

Yesterday I was downloading from news groups and News Rover reported

an average of 130kB/s which is about 1 Mb/s.

DU Meter show the download peaking at 1.6Mb/s, above my rated speed!!

cool, TRUE sucks:

got 5 mins 30 secs ... on a TRUE 256/128 line ...

bangkok/sukhumvit

just downgraded the package because the 1mbps line I did never reach more than a third of the promised speeds ...

have to change the provider - heard TOT offers good speeds?

everybody makes a speed test, comparing their paid bandwith with the actual one.

but in actual usage, how do super speeds compare with average ones?

could you download the sample link posted below and reply with:

1. how long does it take to fully download the page?

2. what kind of internet package you got?

3. you're where?

http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/olympuse3...ls/p3040010.jpg

many thanks - looking forward to some real world tests.

Hi Danone,

1. about 100 seconds

2. True: 756/512 - cost: 802.50 Baht/month

3. Bangkok, Sathorn North

4. Date/time: Monday August 28th 2006 09:15

I have added item 4 because my internet speed varies tremendously with the time and day. Frequently it grinds to a virtual halt!

I reckon with Internet Service Providers it is similar to buying a racing car that is capable of going very fast but when stuck in traffic it can only go at the speed of all the other punters using the road/web connection.

For those with a slow connection that gave up here is a copy of the 21,610 KB bmp file shrunk to 62.5 KB.

post-21917-1156732446_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

John_Betong

2 minutes 50 seconds with true 512/256 ADSL which is effectively 216kbps. Incidentally I downgraded my package and can't notice any difference in speed at all. Anyone getting the 1mbit package or higher is getting taken for a ride. Even at 512 I'm usually getting taken for a ride because I usually don't get close to that as seen here.

2 minutes 50 seconds with true 512/256 ADSL which is effectively 216kbps. Incidentally I downgraded my package and can't notice any difference in speed at all. Anyone getting the 1mbit package or higher is getting taken for a ride. Even at 512 I'm usually getting taken for a ride because I usually don't get close to that as seen here.

hear you loud and clear coder, but compared with other speed tests it looks like mainly TRUE is taking its customers for a ride.

whenever I see TOT or TT&T results, the actual speeds are much closer to the promised ones.

anybody supporting this observation?

It's just a fact that the cheaper "home" packages cannot deliver what they promise.

TT&T @home package also only delivers about 30% of rated speeds as the test of RCM shows(internationally, local downloads come in at full speeds)

These cheap packages have such high contention ratio's that speeds at peak times almost grinds to a halt.

On a speed/price comparison, the @life package from TT&T costs 4 times more then the @home package, but you get around 80% of rated speed 24/7 (unless the system goes down or there is a temporary problem)

If you are in the same price range (say 4000 Baht/month for 1024/512), the difference between the ISP's is actually very small, maybe with the exception of True, who seem to be oversubscribing their bandwidth a lot...

Edited by monty

But contention ratios are just one of the speed limitations. Remember true puts speed caps on all sorts of things; file sharing being one of the more obvious ones. My observation is their speed limiters would ever allow your browser to operate at 1mbit for international even if they could handle the load at the given instant; doesn't matter if it is 3am or 3pm, speed is capped for everything to one extent or another.

It's just a fact that the cheaper "home" packages cannot deliver what they promise.

TT&T @home package also only delivers about 30% of rated speeds as the test of RCM shows(internationally, local downloads come in at full speeds)

These cheap packages have such high contention ratio's that speeds at peak times almost grinds to a halt.

On a speed/price comparison, the @life package from TT&T costs 4 times more then the @home package, but you get around 80% of rated speed 24/7 (unless the system goes down or there is a temporary problem)

If you are in the same price range (say 4000 Baht/month for 1024/512), the difference between the ISP's is actually very small, maybe with the exception of True, who seem to be oversubscribing their bandwidth a lot...

You got a good Point here,with what TT&T's Home Package delivers.Funnily i got only 3 weeks ago upgraded from 512 to 1024 maxnet4 home ....and no noticable change in speed (most of times) . So will go back to 512 as the "faster " one never delivers.

Must say the time i tested i had 3 pc connected although only one actively for surfing and all is connected wireless - so it may have been a bit faster but don't think significally...

• 4 months later...

Tests done 3:45pm BKK time.

1) DHL would be faster.

2) True 2560/512 Kbps (2 Mbps) package

3) Bangkok, South Sathorn

4) Tuesday January 9th 2007 3:49pm

Anything outside Thailand is super slow at the moment, local test s are good.

post-31251-1168332342_thumb.jpg

post-31251-1168332349_thumb.jpg