Where's the so-called saving on pickups made in Thailand?

giddyup

Sorry to change the subject somewhat.But it baffles me how vehicles are so much more expensive than some other places in the world and the

Average salary is so much smaller.They must have 10 year car payments to be able to purchase it.

Baffles me how yearly tax, insurance and maintenance is so much more expensive everywhere else in the world.

That's because in other parts of the world you get something back for your taxes.

These crazy car prices ans many other prices are possible because Thai create the illusion that they are from a other planet.

It makes them feel special and proud.

They forget that because if this way of thinking, most stay poor, get bakrupt a few times in their lives and do many things to get something togehter.

As a result of this you have cartels who rob you with whatever they can. Next to that they have a corrupted gourvenemtal system.

Cars are a good example for this.

These crazy car prices ans many other prices are possible because Thai create the illusion that they are from a other planet.

It makes them feel special and proud.

They forget that because if this way of thinking, most stay poor, get bakrupt a few times in their lives and do many things to get something togehter.

As a result of this you have cartels who rob you with whatever they can. Next to that they have a corrupted gourvenemtal system.

Cars are a good example for this.

I don't think they are any more or any less corrupt than other governments. And they are not doing it to make people poor as you stated.

The point is the taxes are the deciding factor on car prices in thailand. The government needs money from somewhere since less than 5 million people (out of 60million) actually pay income taxes in this country, so what they are doing is actually imposing a consumption tax to make up for the the people avoiding income taxes. They also use the argument that it is to discourage cars on the congested roads.

Despite this cars are much more cheaper in Thailand than Singapore.

The thing is the OP was perfectly happy to pay the asking price here in Thailand for his Mitsubishi but got upset when he looked at what it cost in another country.

How many people are looking up what it costs in Australia and making a decision based on that.

The local price is the highest that the market will take whilst keeping optimum profitability from supply and demand.

What I was upset about, and I don't know how more many times I have to say it, was that the Triton in Australia was the same price I paid but had a much higher level of equipment. The Triton I bought here wouldn't pass inspection in Australia with only a driver's side airbag, the Australian model gets six. Nothing I can do about it I realise that, just bend over grab my ankles and think of England, but it's still being short-changed however you look at it.

Actually there is nothing unusual about that. Most Thai made autos would not be up to standard against autos sold in America. Not only that, in America autos are much much cheaper than the equivalent Thailand prices. So higher standard at a lower price. Thailand is what it is, but I don't know why you ever got the idea Thailand should be cheaper than elsewhere.

I think I was told several times when I first arrived in Thailand that pickups represented better value than anything else, and maybe that still holds true. I also think that the manufacturers drop a lot of the safety features like multiple airbags, stability control etc because the average Thai motorist doesn't give a sh*t about safety.

I bought a 4 cyl , 4 door Isuzu 2 years ago and paid 820,000 Baht or 27,400 Australian dollars at the time. The same car with same options (less heater and side bags) was $45,000 . Very happy with a great car. Google used car prices by model in Oz to see the difference.

The thing is the OP was perfectly happy to pay the asking price here in Thailand for his Mitsubishi but got upset when he looked at what it cost in another country.

How many people are looking up what it costs in Australia and making a decision based on that.

The local price is the highest that the market will take whilst keeping optimum profitability from supply and demand.

What I was upset about, and I don't know how more many times I have to say it, was that the Triton in Australia was the same price I paid but had a much higher level of equipment. The Triton I bought here wouldn't pass inspection in Australia with only a driver's side airbag, the Australian model gets six. Nothing I can do about it I realise that, just bend over grab my ankles and think of England, but it's still being short-changed however you look at it.

Actually there is nothing unusual about that. Most Thai made autos would not be up to standard against autos sold in America. Not only that, in America autos are much much cheaper than the equivalent Thailand prices. So higher standard at a lower price. Thailand is what it is, but I don't know why you ever got the idea Thailand should be cheaper than elsewhere.

I think I was told several times when I first arrived in Thailand that pickups represented better value than anything else, and maybe that still holds true. I also think that the manufacturers drop a lot of the safety features like multiple airbags, stability control etc because the average Thai motorist doesn't give a sh*t about safety.

Road safety features cost the manufacturers money - but save lives and the countries money - without government regulations to FORCE them to fit these the manufacturers will do the bare minimum.

Thailand's record on road safety legislation speaks for itself.

When you see a Nissan Almera - built in Thailand, automatic, bigger engine - for sale, driveaway, in Australia for about $15K, and a Nissan Almera automatic with a smaller engine in Thailand for $24K RRP, it's obvious someone is screwing the pooch.

Personally, I think one is better off in Thailand buying a reasonably low mileage vehicle, then spending some money on the more important items such as shock absorbers and brake linings. Thai service shops don't change brake fluid unless you tell them to.

It's fairly difficult nowadays to find a brand that has dud engines, most manufacturer's motors will do 300 - 400K provided they are serviced regularly.

• Like 1

True.. But as Thais don't look outside Thailand the manufacturer's will continue to overprice vehicles. Also I believe that vehicle taxation is higher here!

I thought that's why pickups were so popular, because there is little or no tax?

They're popular for a number of reasons:

1, They attract less tax than cars

2, They last longer than cars (usually)

3, You're safer in a truck than a small car

4, They're better in the flooding

5, They have a good payload

6, The load space is flexible (full cover, half cover, secure cover and even bench seats)

7, You can tow heavy payloads

8, You can fit all the family in

etc etc

He is right, the market sets the prices.

Market conditions may influence prices, but there are real people in the back office who determine profit margins and who also set the prices. Thailand has an under developed property tax system and they offset that revenue weakness by very high vehicle taxes. This is a benefit to those in the back office who set the prices and who tend to own property worth far more than their vehicles. It is just another instance of regressive taxation. Funny how the "market" tends to favor regressive taxation over progressive taxation.

True.. But as Thais don't look outside Thailand the manufacturer's will continue to overprice vehicles. Also I believe that vehicle taxation is higher here!

I thought that's why pickups were so popular, because there is little or no tax?

6, The load space is flexible (full cover, half cover, secure cover and even bench seats)

etc etc

Somewhat arbitrary list - if applied to Thailand. certainly a list doesn't make it more accurate.

The main reason is that they are built here and receive subsidies/tax incentives from the government to ensure jobs etc. The motoring environment is certainly a factor as is motoring culture in Thailand - but culture isn't static and changes come with changes of employment, income and lifestyle.....

furthermore the pick up was particularly suitable - and in Toyota's case specifically designed - to be built in S.E. Asia. the basic nature of the vehicle's chassis-based construction is suited to low automation production with a high proportion of manual labour in areas where labour costs are relatively low.

So, what about the "list"?

Tax - 2 drs etc on green plates have a vey low level of tax - 4 drs are taxed (around 6400 baht for 2.5 litre diesel) mostly on engine size - in Thailand road tax on all vehicles reduces with age - maybe helping to keep second hand vehicles on the road?

Lifespan - I don't think their is ANY evidence to suggest that - you see a lot of old pickups because in the past because they formed a higher proportion of the market. Life expectancy in Thailand of a Sedan is now probably as long as or even longer than a pick up as they get treated better.

Safety - pickups are about the least safe vehicles on the roads - please don't start quoting US stats they are irrelevant to the Thai market.

Towing? How often do you see towing in Thailand? - the regulations around trailers make this a rarity.

Yes there are/were advantages given the state of the roads in Thailand - which are worse than most appreciate - but the roads also now make pick ups more dangerous.

Better in flooding - I would say that this is not shown as a sales incentive but would come under the general heading of poor driving environment in Thailand (e.g. roads)

Have a good payload? So do vans - they are commercial vehicles and one would expect them to carry stuff - but this doesn't explain their ubiquitous domestic use - unless you count carrying passengers in the back which of course is a factor in making pickups the most dangerous vehicles on the roads.

Flexible - well that depends on the use you require - it is fairly obvious that now people more and more are going for sedans and MPVs. - the factories are eve churning these out in Thailand.

fit all the faimily - dealt with in safety.

Edited by cumgranosalum

When you see a Nissan Almera - built in Thailand, automatic, bigger engine - for sale, driveaway, in Australia for about $15K, and a Nissan Almera automatic with a smaller engine in Thailand for $24K RRP, it's obvious someone is screwing the pooch.

Personally, I think one is better off in Thailand buying a reasonably low mileage vehicle, then spending some money on the more important items such as shock absorbers and brake linings. Thai service shops don't change brake fluid unless you tell them to.

It's fairly difficult nowadays to find a brand that has dud engines, most manufacturer's motors will do 300 - 400K provided they are serviced regularly.

i think people are still having problems with actually COSTING a car - production costs don't change much i=f at all with engine size, it is materials, labor and time that cost, this is then followed by the local market conditions which are usually dictated by the government in that region.

i think people are still having problems with actually COSTING a car - production costs don't change much i=f at all with engine size, it is materials, labor and time that cost, this is then followed by the local market conditions which are usually dictated by the government in that region.

Possibly drifting off topic a bit; however, vehicle manufacturers don't make huge profits ( except in Thailand possibly ) on the initial vehicle. Spare parts, consumables and maintenance at brand dealerships is where the real gravy is. Try building a vehicle out of spare parts, you'll end up with something 4-5 times the RRP.

Don't talk rubbish.

How is that Rubbish, Do you honestly believe businesses manufacture things and then just add a set percentage on top as profit? Regardless of supply and demand and competitors.

So, the average Thai on probably less than $7,000 a year has to pay the same as the one sold in Australia, but to an Australian whose salaries are probably $70,000 plus a year on average.

No, the average Thai buys a motorbike.

The cost in Australia is just under half the yearly salary,do you believe they should price the pickup at 2,999 dollars here in Thailand for the average Tha?

Not really, a small sh**ty little Honda Wave scooter, not motorbike, isn't going to get you far delivering goods across country. Given that there are apparently 20 million odd cars, trucks and buses for 67 or 68 million Thais, it would suggest to me that the average Thai IS buying a car, and not a motorbike anymore, they are only for poor people. Motorbike sales are pretty much flat, but more and more cars appear on Thai roads every year.

BUT the average Thai is probably not going to buy a big 4-door 4x4 ute or SUV, but rather the lowest 4x2 extra cab model, which can be used both for hauling goods and people. Even though it's not the most comfortable family car, many Thais use it that way.

etc etc

Somewhat arbitrary list - if applied to Thailand. certainly a list doesn't make it more accurate.

The main reason is that they are built here and receive subsidies/tax incentives from the government to ensure jobs etc. The motoring environment is certainly a factor as is motoring culture in Thailand - but culture isn't static and changes come with changes of employment, income and lifestyle.....

furthermore the pick up was particularly suitable - and in Toyota's case specifically designed - to be built in S.E. Asia. the basic nature of the vehicle's chassis-based construction is suited to low automation production with a high proportion of manual labour in areas where labour costs are relatively low.

So, what about the "list"?

Tax - 2 drs etc on green plates have a vey low level of tax - 4 drs are taxed (around 6400 baht for 2.5 litre diesel) mostly on engine size - in Thailand road tax on all vehicles reduces with age - maybe helping to keep second hand vehicles on the road?

Lifespan - I don't think their is ANY evidence to suggest that - you see a lot of old pickups because in the past because they formed a higher proportion of the market. Life expectancy in Thailand of a Sedan is now probably as long as or even longer than a pick up as they get treated better.

Safety - pickups are about the least safe vehicles on the roads - please don't start quoting US stats they are irrelevant to the Thai market.

Towing? How often do you see towing in Thailand? - the regulations around trailers make this a rarity.

Yes there are/were advantages given the state of the roads in Thailand - which are worse than most appreciate - but the roads also now make pick ups more dangerous.

Better in flooding - I would say that this is not shown as a sales incentive but would come under the general heading of poor driving environment in Thailand (e.g. roads)

Have a good payload? So do vans - they are commercial vehicles and one would expect them to carry stuff - but this doesn't explain their ubiquitous domestic use - unless you count carrying passengers in the back which of course is a factor in making pickups the most dangerous vehicles on the roads.

Flexible - well that depends on the use you require - it is fairly obvious that now people more and more are going for sedans and MPVs. - the factories are eve churning these out in Thailand.

fit all the faimily - dealt with in safety.

I see towing more and more in Thailand. Used to be extremely rare, but while not very common yet, is becoming more common. Not sure what you mean by "regulations"? I think that anyone with a tow bar fitted who has a need to tow something, such as a boat, will do so without anyone getting in their way.

As I live in Bangkok and not near the coast, I don't often see people towing boats unless I am heading towards Hua Hin/Pattaya/Rayong/Chantaburi etc. since few Thais away from the coast own boats.

Are you sure about that statement? My dad's 31 year old Hilux in Australia has NO airbags but still passes inspection. Unless you are talking about the fact your Triton is relatively new and the rules may depend on the year of manufacture? For example, 10-15 years ago in Australia, 2 airbags was normal then all of a sudden it became 6 in the case of 4 door vehicles. Thailand is currently at 2, 1 only for more basic models and is slowly moving towards 6 as evidenced by an ad I saw for the latest Ford Ranger in Bangkok. However, the maximum number of airbags may only be available on the top models. I have the top model Isuzu D-Max V-cross 4x4 manual (exactly the same specs as the auto except it's a manual and a little cheaper) but it only has 2 airbags not 6. Bought it in Dec 2013 and since then one change I've noticed in the 2014/2015 editions is the push start. I got the last normal key ignition model. Didn't read about 6 airbags yet though, maybe that's just the Ford Ranger. Would have to see what the new Triton is offering though, but again, will have to compare the top models only.

Are you sure about that statement? My dad's 31 year old Hilux in Australia has NO airbags but still passes inspection. Unless you are talking about the fact your Triton is relatively new and the rules may depend on the year of manufacture? For example, 10-15 years ago in Australia, 2 airbags was normal then all of a sudden it became 6 in the case of 4 door vehicles. Thailand is currently at 2, 1 only for more basic models and is slowly moving towards 6 as evidenced by an ad I saw for the latest Ford Ranger in Bangkok. However, the maximum number of airbags may only be available on the top models. I have the top model Isuzu D-Max V-cross 4x4 manual (exactly the same specs as the auto except it's a manual and a little cheaper) but it only has 2 airbags not 6. Bought it in Dec 2013 and since then one change I've noticed in the 2014/2015 editions is the push start. I got the last normal key ignition model. Didn't read about 6 airbags yet though, maybe that's just the Ford Ranger. Would have to see what the new Triton is offering though, but again, will have to compare the top models only.

There would be still plenty of older cars, Fords, Falcons, MGB's etc on Australian roads without airbags, because those cars were manufactured before airbags became compulsory. My point was that the Triton I bought here wouldn't be allowed to be imported into Australia because all new models would require both driver and passenger airbags at least. Local manufacturers will short change the customer as much as they can get away with if the law allows it.

Thais and foreigners are ripped off big time in Thailand because there is no competition and high taxes.

You can buy 2 BMW's in Europe for the price of 1 assembled here and there are many more examples. Also look at the fuel consumption of the average local produced car compared to western standards.

It's not just with cars, almost everything here is more expensive now than in western Europe. Thailand is a major exporter of agricultural products, how can it be that vegetables and fruit are the same or more in the market here as in Europe? Believe it or not, but my son buy dragon fruit cheaper in the market in The Hague (NL) than I buy them here???

Why is my dentist charging the same as a dentist in NL?

Burger King is almost 10% more expensive here than in NL!

The cheaper international schools charge 2 times the price of an IB program on an international school in NL!

Thailand is colonized by their own elite, 20 or so families, that run the show, form the cartels, set the prices and farm the country. In the mean time the poor and middle class people are robbed dry.

Kind of true. Only poor quality local stuff is cheaper here than back home, which also happens to be the stuff that most foreigners come to Thailand to seek. For example, cheap local transport (if they decide not to drive), cheap street food (made from questionable ingredients but with no taxes, rental or salaries to pay, the savings are passed onto the customer hence why Pad Thai only costs 30-40 Baht, or perhaps 100 Baht in tourist areas compared to 250-400 Baht equivalent in a Thai restaurant back home), cheaper hotels and apartments (but only because back home we don't have 10 sqm pads with no kitchen available for rent) and cheaper local shopping at the market.

Anything imported, anything of quality (even if it's manufactured locally), cars (including locally manufactured ones), electronic items, all more expensive here than back home. Even Thai made cars exported to say Australia are cheaper there, after shipping, than the ones sold here?!

Every year I've noticed cars in Thailand become more expensive. When I bought my 2013 Isuzu D-Max V-cross 4x4 manual, the top model, it was 952,000 Baht. The auto model was 993,000 Baht. This was December 2013. The current list prices for exactly the same 2 models, only difference being that it now uses a stop-start button instead of putting a key in the ignition but otherwise exactly identical and suddenly it's 972,000 and 1,017,000 Baht respectively. That means a 20,000 and 24,000 Baht price hike respectively. Where did that come from?!

There would be still plenty of older cars, Fords, Falcons, MGB's etc on Australian roads without airbags, because those cars were manufactured before airbags became compulsory. My point was that the Triton I bought here wouldn't be allowed to be imported into Australia because all new models would require both driver and passenger airbags at least. Local manufacturers will short change the customer as much as they can get away with if the law allows it.

That's what I thought. Anyway, it's a bit ironic given that Aussies have to dictate to the Thais how we want our cars manufactured and with which safety elements installed (because as we all know, the Aussie industry is about to die out) and yet if we privately imported a Thai spec model with 1 airbag it wouldn't pass inspection? If anything this should be an argument for keeping the Aussie industry, but alas, nobody in the Aussie government has the will to keep manufacturers or businesses at home. They sowed the seeds of destruction years ago and don't care about the results.

But anyway, my D-max here has 2 airbags, surely it would pass an Aussie inspection though?

You're right about the local manufacturers. It's because the law hasn't forced manufacturers to adopt 6 airbags or at least 2 in 2-door vehicles that they don't offer them. It's not because the Thai customers don't want them, it's because they can't get them! At least not if they buy a locally made car that is.

iff you want to sell a new car in Oz, you still have to comply with the current safety regs - good thing too. (in fact even with private import you still have a raft of regs to comply with)

Oz had a very expensive secondhand car market and I think partly due to isolation and climate the cars tended to last a very long time too.......this means that Aussie roads are still full of old cars with poor safety standards diabolical emissions and basically all-in-all antisocial vehicles........not that different from Thailand....this will of course die out gradually as secondhand cars get cheaper there too.

as for the demise of the motor industry - well firstly you have to build a car that people want in large numbers and then you have to sell it abroad - something that Australia failed to do year-in, year-out

Edited by cumgranosalum

iff you want to sell a new car in Oz, you still have to comply with the current safety regs - good thing too. (in fact even with private import you still have a raft of regs to comply with)

Oz had a very expensive secondhand car market and I think partly due to isolation and climate the cars tended to last a very long time too.......this means that Aussie roads are still full of old cars with poor safety standards diabolical emissions and basically all-in-all antisocial vehicles........not that different from Thailand....this will of course die out gradually as secondhand cars get cheaper there too.

as for the demise of the motor industry - well firstly you have to build a car that people want in large numbers and then you have to sell it abroad - something that Australia failed to do year-in, year-out

Eh?? How long ago were you in Australia? You can buy cars in the 2010 - 2013 range with less than 100K on the odometer for less than 50% of their original value. There are far less clapped-out vehicles in Oz than in Thailand. They are culled by RWC's on ownership transfer, plus roadside police checks.

While I agree with you concerning Fords - who wants a 4 litre six that inhales fuel like a binge drinker - all the other brands were and are modern vehicles which could hold their own in most company except the high-end Mercs and Beemers.

The real problem was we had at one stage 5 vehicle manufacturers competing for a local market of 20 million people - difficult to justify one manufacturer, let alone 3 when they all decided to pull the plug.

Thais and foreigners are ripped off big time in Thailand because there is no competition and high taxes.

You can buy 2 BMW's in Europe for the price of 1 assembled here and there are many more examples. Also look at the fuel consumption of the average local produced car compared to western standards.

It's not just with cars, almost everything here is more expensive now than in western Europe. Thailand is a major exporter of agricultural products, how can it be that vegetables and fruit are the same or more in the market here as in Europe? Believe it or not, but my son buy dragon fruit cheaper in the market in The Hague (NL) than I buy them here???

Why is my dentist charging the same as a dentist in NL?

Burger King is almost 10% more expensive here than in NL!

The cheaper international schools charge 2 times the price of an IB program on an international school in NL!

Thailand is colonized by their own elite, 20 or so families, that run the show, form the cartels, set the prices and farm the country. In the mean time the poor and middle class people are robbed dry.

Kind of true. Only poor quality local stuff is cheaper here than back home, which also happens to be the stuff that most foreigners come to Thailand to seek. For example, cheap local transport (if they decide not to drive), cheap street food (made from questionable ingredients but with no taxes, rental or salaries to pay, the savings are passed onto the customer hence why Pad Thai only costs 30-40 Baht, or perhaps 100 Baht in tourist areas compared to 250-400 Baht equivalent in a Thai restaurant back home), cheaper hotels and apartments (but only because back home we don't have 10 sqm pads with no kitchen available for rent) and cheaper local shopping at the market.

Anything imported, anything of quality (even if it's manufactured locally), cars (including locally manufactured ones), electronic items, all more expensive here than back home. Even Thai made cars exported to say Australia are cheaper there, after shipping, than the ones sold here?!

Every year I've noticed cars in Thailand become more expensive. When I bought my 2013 Isuzu D-Max V-cross 4x4 manual, the top model, it was 952,000 Baht. The auto model was 993,000 Baht. This was December 2013. The current list prices for exactly the same 2 models, only difference being that it now uses a stop-start button instead of putting a key in the ignition but otherwise exactly identical and suddenly it's 972,000 and 1,017,000 Baht respectively. That means a 20,000 and 24,000 Baht price hike respectively. Where did that come from?!

Surely that's just inflation, It's around 2-2.8% if I remember correctly which seems to correlate almost perfectly with your figures.

Eh?? How long ago were you in Australia? You can buy cars in the 2010 - 2013 range with less than 100K on the odometer for less than 50% of their original value. There are far less clapped-out vehicles in Oz than in Thailand. They are culled by RWC's on ownership transfer, plus roadside police checks.

While I agree with you concerning Fords - who wants a 4 litre six that inhales fuel like a binge drinker - all the other brands were and are modern vehicles which could hold their own in most company except the high-end Mercs and Beemers.

The real problem was we had at one stage 5 vehicle manufacturers competing for a local market of 20 million people - difficult to justify one manufacturer, let alone 3 when they all decided to pull the plug.

not the mileage - year - that is the factor with safety features. I left Oz in 2003 - BTW I bought and sold "cheap" secondhand cars as a "hobby" in QLD - I also did the same in Europe and UK.

US is quite a different kettle of fish - with 80% ownership and a massive subsidised industry, cars are cheaper than shoes.

The vehicles Oz made themselves were unmarketable and the others were simply modified euro or Jap designs that they failed to make appealing to the home market. Remember too that the home market is actually too small to support a significant motor industry.

Europe has 450 million or so potential customers - Oz a paltry 20 million. - Essentially a non-starter in motor industry terms.

not the mileage - year - that is the factor with safety features. I left Oz in 2003 - BTW I bought and sold "cheap" secondhand cars as a "hobby" in QLD - I also did the same in Europe and UK.

US is quite a different kettle of fish - with 80% ownership and a massive subsidised industry, cars are cheaper than shoes.

The vehicles Oz made themselves were unmarketable and the others were simply modified euro or Jap designs that they failed to make appealing to the home market. Remember too that the home market is actually too small to support a significant motor industry.

Europe has 450 million or so potential customers - Oz a paltry 20 million. - Essentially a non-starter in motor industry terms.

That explains a lot - selling secondhand cars in Queensland? Let me guess - Logan City. Queensland does differ a lot from the rest of Australia.

Since we've started argument ad verecundiam, I worked for Bluescope Steel from 1976 to 2008 as one of their technical/research people, and visits to all the car manufacturers was part and parcel of my job.

Australian cars were developed for Australian conditions. Long distances required larger cars, but not to the extent of gas-guzzling Yank tanks with acres of sheet metal and pillow-soft suspensions. A lot of the European/British offerings simply couldn't handle harsh Australian conditions. The shift in consumer preferences is more associated with demographics, far fewer live in the country compared to city dwellers now. So not unmarketable, more a shrinking market.

Try reading my posts a little more carefully - I've already stated the home market is too small. That, plus high labour costs and the cessation of government support, sunk auto manufacturing in Australia