Paypal, experiences, special checks

Complete ! Never had that said before smile.png

Agree that both are at risk for online purchases - scams and ripoffs on both sides. And agree that Paypal etal are only doing what they HAVE to do - but in Singapore they have to do much less than they have to do in USA or Europe or Aust/NZ.. Example: outside Singapore/Thailand they are not allowed to 'spam'. I get lots of 'offers' and crap emailed to me from Paypal Thailand, but nothing from Paypal at home - because one is allowed, and the other is not.

But as someone that does both, I find more there are scammers on the Seller's side than on the Buyer's side of the fence.

Either way - beware !!

PS - This is from Paypal site: Legal Agreements for PayPal Services

These legal agreements apply to all countries that PayPal services EXCEPT those in the pull-down list below and European Union countries. To view agreements for a different country or region, select from the list below.

Select your locationArgentina (in English)Argentina (en español)Australia (in English)Austria (auf Deutsch)Austria (in English)Belgium (in het Nederlands)Belgium (en français)Belgium (in English)Brazil (in English)Brazil (em Português)China Worldwide (in English)China Worldwide (中文)Canada (in English)Canada (en français)European Union (in English)European Union - Send Only (in English)France (en français)France (in English)Germany (auf Deutsch)Germany (in English)Hong Kong (中文)Hong Kong (in English)Italy (in Italiano)Italy (in English)Japan (日本語)Japan (in English)Mexico (en Español)Mexico (in English)Netherlands (in het Nederlands)Netherlands (in English)Poland (po polsku)Poland (in English)Spain (en Español)Spain (in English)Switzerland (auf Deutsch)Switzerland (in English)Taiwan (in English)Taiwan (中文)United Kingdom (in English)United States (in English)Other Countries (in English)

whistling.gif

I think you'll find that the automatic renewal has nothing to do with Paypal but more to do with T&C's of the software company you bought from.

One thing I find really unacceptable with Paypal is that if I sell something I am not allowed to charge the buyer the credit handling fee Paypal charges me. Yet if I use my credit card to pay for something such as hotels etc I am invariably charged a percentage fee on top by the vendor for credit card handling.

So cover the expense in the sales price

It's not black and white, especially when it comes to auction sales. In some fields, postage and shipping costs need to be kept real to be competitive which means you're not actually left with enough to cover those costs once Paypal has taken it's cut. Beats me why Paypal thinks the post office would even consider sending my mail at a reduced rate.

I think you'll find that the automatic renewal has nothing to do with Paypal but more to do with T&C's of the software company you bought from.

One thing I find really unacceptable with Paypal is that if I sell something I am not allowed to charge the buyer the credit handling fee Paypal charges me. Yet if I use my credit card to pay for something such as hotels etc I am invariably charged a percentage fee on top by the vendor for credit card handling.

It's not black and white, especially when it comes to auction sales. In some fields, postage and shipping costs need to be kept real to be competitive which means you're not actually left with enough to cover those costs once Paypal has taken it's cut. Beats me why Paypal thinks the post office would even consider sending my mail at a reduced rate.
Then you'll have to eat the loss which would be minimal or consider it part of the auction sale price. You sound like a mate who won't enable PayPal on his website because he wants the postage to be exact. Average it out I tell him, a medal is a medal, take an average weight. A bayonet is a bayonet, just how much different in weight can they be. Customers don't know what the item weighs exactly until they get it. And what's a couple of dollars postage error when you're paying hundreds perhaps thousands for an item.

Of course if you're selling mass items, clothes, dvds, lawn mowers you should know the weight of each item exactly.

Depends in the business but no need to get all worked up over a couple dollars here and there. Look at the bigger picture.

Then you'll have to eat the loss which would be minimal or consider it part of the auction sale price. You sound like a mate who won't enable PayPal on his website because he wants the postage to be exact. Average it out I tell him, a medal is a medal, take an average weight. A bayonet is a bayonet, just how much different in weight can they be. Customers don't know what the item weighs exactly until they get it. And what's a couple of dollars postage error when you're paying hundreds perhaps thousands for an item.

Of course if you're selling mass items, clothes, dvds, lawn mowers you should know the weight of each item exactly.

Depends in the business but no need to get all worked up over a couple dollars here and there. Look at the bigger picture.

Why do you think I'm all worked up ? Far from it, I can choose to use Paypal only when it suits me. Paypals loss not mine.

I've always believed that what's good enough for the goose is good enough for the gander. I think if you don't and just let organisations like Paypal run rings around you, you end up with doormat mentality. Bigger picture ?? I don't think so - bigger doormat perhaps.biggrin.png

Why do you think I'm all worked up ? Far from it, I can choose to use Paypal only when it suits me. Paypals loss not mine.

I've always believed that what's good enough for the goose is good enough for the gander. I think if you don't and just let organisations like Paypal run rings around you, you end up with doormat mentality. Bigger picture ?? I don't think so - bigger doormat perhaps.biggrin.png

Just a feeling I got from reading your post especially the bit about PayPal and discounts from the post office. Sounded trivial and got the impression you were taking it all to seriously. Glad to hear that your chill and use PayPal only when you choose to. Best wishes.

Paypal sucks big time, I called them out a few years ago because they gave deliberately wrong information, and I pointed it out to them, telling them they should learn their job.

Since that time they don't answer any emails from me anymorelaugh.png

I never have money in my account though, since i only use them to buy, and have the currency conversion done by my credit card.

Paypal sucks big time, I called them out a few years ago because they gave deliberately wrong information, and I pointed it out to them, telling them they should learn their job.

I never have money in my account though, since i only use them to buy, and have the currency conversion done by my credit card.

Pretty much follows what my mates have said. You only get trouble from PayPay when you give them trouble. I've never had trouble with them that has not been settled amicably. Neither have my mates and they are both big PayPal users.

• Like 1

That reminds me of something else. I've only noticed this very recently so don't know how long Paypal have been pulling this one. I invariably have multiple currency credit balances on my Paypal account, $, euros and sterling. Previously if I purchased something in for example, euros and my euro balance was insufficient to cover the whole amount, Paypal would give me the choice for the remainder of converting one of my other currencies into euros or using credit / debit card. Now the choice is gone. Any credit amount from an available currency is used and converted to the corresponding euro amount using a conversion rate chosen by Paypal and not me with no option for using credit / debit card to pay in the currency of purchase.

Not even banks can get away with this. When using credit / debit cards abroad, they have to by law give the choice of purchasing in the local currency or in home currency. Everybody knows to use local currency as the on-the-spot conversion rates are never to the buyers advantage.

How big does the doormat have to be ?

Edited by slightlychilled

That reminds me of something else. I've only noticed this very recently so don't know how long Paypal have been pulling this one. I invariably have multiple currency credit balances on my Paypal account, $, euros and sterling. Previously if I purchased something in for example, euros and my euro balance was insufficient to cover the whole amount, Paypal would give me the choice for the remainder of converting one of my other currencies into euros or using credit / debit card. Now the choice is gone. Any credit amount from an available currency is used and converted to the corresponding euro amount using a conversion rate chosen by Paypal and not me with no option for using credit / debit card to pay in the currency of purchase.

Not even banks can get away with this. When using credit / debit cards abroad, they have to by law give the choice of purchasing in the local currency or in home currency. Everybody knows to use local currency as the on-the-spot conversion rates are never to the buyers advantage.

You're perfectly correct on what issue was. I'll have to check my account sometime to verify the current situation. Thanks for the tip. Wouldn't affect me too much as rarely have anything other than dollars and spend only dollars.

A friend some years back had his Paypal account frozen for 6 months with over $10,000. in it all because he had his bank account in the U.S and he logged in from Thailand.

Paypal sucks...http://www.paypalsucks.com/newforums/

If the link is deleted I can PM it to you.

I forgot to say my friend had over $10,000. in his account when Paypal froze it.

I always advise people if you must use Paypal never leave a lot of money in your account.

A friend some years back had his Paypal account frozen for 6 months with over $10,000. in it all because he had his bank account in the U.S and he logged in from Thailand.

Paypal sucks...http://www.paypalsucks.com/newforums/

If the link is deleted I can PM it to you.

I forgot to say my friend had over $10,000. in his account when Paypal froze it.

I always advise people if you must use Paypal never leave a lot of money in your account.

Yes that can happen when accessing PayPal from outside your home country. But it's not about trying to steal your money its about trying to protect it. All you have to do is provide your ID back to them and they'll unfreeze it. It happened to me. Everything back to normal again after a few days. But 10,000 is a lot to leave in there for extended period. Best to shift it elsewhere where it can be invested more profitably.

When I use paypal about a week ago I also got offered that choice, but still got the choice to refuse and to use account of credit card for the total sum.

When I use paypal about a week ago I also got offered that choice, but still got the choice to refuse and to use account of credit card for the total sum.

So you're saying he's wrong.

I'm posting my experience. I have a grand total of 6 CAD$ in my paypal account for long time already, and when I checked out last week in a AUS$ listing, I got the option to convert the CAD$ to AUS$ and the remaining amount from my credit card.

I opted to charge the whole amount from my credit card, and the CAD$ are still in my account.

I'm posting my experience. I have a grand total of 6 CAD$ in my paypal account for long time already, and when I checked out last week in a AUS$ listing, I got the option to convert the CAD$ to AUS$ and the remaining amount from my credit card.

I opted to charge the whole amount from my credit card, and the CAD$ are still in my account.

If I understand you correctly that is a different scenario as you had only the one currency balance, namely CAD$. Had you had euros or sterling as well as your CAD$ then Paypal would have converted those balances to AUS$ and not have given you the choice of credit / debit card.

If I understand you correctly that is a different scenario as you had only the one currency balance, namely CAD$. Had you had euros or sterling as well as your CAD$ then Paypal would have converted those balances to AUS$ and not have given you the choice of credit / debit card.

But then you have enough in your account after converting to pay in full. What if you didn't and still had multiple currencies. That makes a third senario. Is only the extra payable on cc or would you get the chance to pay the whole by cc leaving the PP balance intact. Edited by Keesters

But then you have enough in your account after converting to pay in full. What if you didn't and still had multiple currencies. That makes a third senario. Is only the extra payable on cc or would you get the chance to pay the whole by cc leaving the PP balance intact.

I don't think there would be a third scenario as I believe Paypal would convert all credit balances before credit / debit card would be offered. In my cases converting just one currency credit made up the shortfalls so it's just my best guess. I mean why stop at taking just one currency without approval, I'm sure if they feel they can take one then they can take them all.

But then you have enough in your account after converting to pay in full. What if you didn't and still had multiple currencies. That makes a third senario. Is only the extra payable on cc or would you get the chance to pay the whole by cc leaving the PP balance intact.

I don't think there would be a third scenario as I believe Paypal would convert all credit balances before credit / debit card would be offered. In my cases converting just one currency credit made up the shortfalls so it's just my best guess. I mean why stop at taking just one currency without approval, I'm sure if they feel they can take one then they can take them all.

It is third scenario. Read it again. Convert all the currencies and it isn't enough to pay..what happens?

It is third scenario. Read it again. Convert all the currencies and it isn't enough to pay..what happens?

What happens is what always has happened - credit / debit cards. That's not a new scenario.

What happens is what always has happened - credit / debit cards. That's not a new scenario.

All or the missing part?

It may not be new but it is a 3rd.

1- insufficient funds in account single currency

2 - sufficient funds in account multiple currencies

3 - insufficient funds in account multiple currencies all used

All or the missing part?

Well for me it's obviously credit / debit card for the missing part only. They are already doing this if you have two currencies so there is no reason for them to not do the same for all credit balances available. Paypal dislikes with a passion anybody using their credit card for payment - this is not new, the credit card option has always been the last resort. Even before they started taking foreign currency balances for payment without approval, a debit card would be offered but you would have to manually click away to be able to use your credit card. They've always put obstacles in your way to use your credit card.

All or the missing part?

Well for me it's obviously credit / debit card for the missing part only. They are already doing this if you have two currencies so there is no reason for them to not do the same for all credit balances available. Paypal dislikes with a passion anybody using their credit card for payment - this is not new, the credit card option has always been the last resort. Even before they started taking foreign currency balances for payment without approval, a debit card would be offered but you would have to manually click away to be able to use your credit card. They've always put obstacles in your way to use your credit card.

Bummer. Sometimes I just like to keep the PP balance untouched. Good job I've 2 credit cards one attached to PP one not. Thanks Kasikorn Bank for doing that for me. The best bank in Thailand and I've tried most.

What you have to do when paypal tries to scam you!

Sold many electronic items

Last year on chrismas to usa a radio buyer was very happy with my radio 2 weeks later he told radio stop working and claims 300 dollar back over pp buyers protection my account in minus I told used items not have a warrenty , pp force him to send parcel back to me but I never accept it goes back but needs to month time to come back to buyer was relaxed in my country also when I not accept parcel , Austrian post is unable to track international parcels only when successfully areived, for paypal it looks I never receive a parcel at the end because I rejected to accept parcel!

At the end the buyer never got any money from pp and I win!

Try it out and you will see it works when someone try to cheat you sandman have always the right aswer!