New season for TV

Beardog

There is (was) a group of regular posters whose credentials would be welcome in most biking forums in Thailand. They are posters who live in Thailand and rides regularly all over Thailand, be it for commuting or touring or racing. They own from one to multiple bikes, from step throughs to litre bikes. They are knowledgeable about the biking scene in Thailand, from technical talks about bikes and manufacturer specs to road safety, where to get gear, accessories, mods etc. They have good local knowledge about which roads are good, not so good and downright bad and are willing to share their knowledge and experience with others.

If these posters were to stop posting for whatever reason (as some have), it would be a loss for the forum. The forum would be left with just a few keyboard warriors who gets most of their information and "knowledge" from google or from past, distant experiences as opposed to regular riders who are up to date with what's actually happening out on the streets in the real world.

I have started some threads on other forums (similar to some of the threads I have started here). The response to view ratio is a lot higher which leads me to the (unscientific) conclusion that posters are not so motivated here or that the knowledge base is slowly declining.

I have been an active member on this forum since I started riding in Thailand. I have met a lot of friends, gone on a lot of group rides and received a lot of good advice all these years. Wonder how long this would continue.

BKK Tony was one of the most knowledgeable posters to ever be on this forum. He had a solution for damned near everything, really into bikes, especially Kawasaki. He also posted fabulous trip reports. He posts on all the Kawasaki forums. Great riding partner, too. I have ridden all over the north with him. He no longer posts anything on this forum. I asked him why. He said he just had had enough and couldn't take the petty TV bullƨhit anymore. A real loss. this is what this thread is about. You apologists for the on this forum just don't seem to get it. You basically say, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out." But the never leave, only the good guys like BKK Tony leave because they just can't stomach the any longer, and then we all lose a rich resource.

What part of this can't you folks understand?

Yes, Tony was very knowledgeable. He wasn't always 100% correct on everything but he was always willing and happy to put his hand up if he provided inaccurate information. Thing is that he left quite a few years ago already. Since then, there has been other "personalities" such as ll2, Dave_Boo who are in themselves a wealth of knowledge and information (want to know where to buy something? II2 will tell you. Want to have some numbers crunching? DB would be more than happy).

All these posters above are passionate about their hobby. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but they were always helpful and willing to share their knowledge. They may not be right all the time but that's what makes a forum interesting - the banter, the occasional insult (not personal attacks). All this was taken in the right spirit.

But in the last couple of months, a certain nastiness has crept in, with some posters taking things to a very personal level, including making threats of a physical nature. Maybe that's why moderation has stepped up so severely.

Seems the forum gets back to life. Thank god, our prayers were heard smile.png

Who is this WheresWaldo now? A member since two months but seems to know it all. Cool, i never ever heard from him or read any post so far. But i am always happy to meet new people who have interesting things to say. Go on Waldo, or should i say byebye Waldo?

• Like 2

Seems the forum gets back to life. Thank god, our prayers were heard smile.png

Who is this WheresWaldo now? A member since two months but seems to know it all. Cool, i never ever heard from him or read any post so far. But i am always happy to meet new people who have interesting things to say. Go on Waldo, or should i say byebye Waldo?

With a name like WheresWaldo, I am surprised you would have to ask these questions. But be advised, I've been here, I've been there, I've been everywhere man. Here's lookin' at you. smile.png

Back on topic, what do you ride, anyway? Just curious. I've had a lot of bikes, street and dirt. These days, I'm down to a ER6n, enough for the old man. It's decked for touring, windscreen, aluminum side and top cases, all kind of electronics, etc.

Edited by WheresWaldo

Yes, I do have time on my hands especially in the evenings because I don't spend them sitting on bar stools (not saying that you do of course).

As for attacking other members, I don't do that unless as a response to an attack on me. Furthermore, I attack the content of the post and not the member personally. I wouldn't have been a member of TV for so long without being suspended otherwise.

(Deleted)

But if someone flames you, and you flame him back, where does it end? This is why there is so much intervention.

It ends when the mods decide that enough is enough. That is the way it has been in the past.

As a long time reader, I'm sure that you have seen some "battles" between posters but it eventually simmers down and dies a natural death. No harm done there, imo.

Things are different now. Look at my post that has been edited. Anyone who read it prior to deletion can hardly call it a flame. It was no more than a comment about looking at oneself in the mirror. Any remark that is deemed un PC gets edited. Problem is that there are also double standards. wantan's remark about me attacking other members is allowed to stay. When I point out the FACT that wantan has done the same in the past, mine gets deleted.

See the difference?

This quote always stuck in my mind - "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

If you want to leave it in the hands of the Mods, then do not complain that they are always deleting your posts.

Be an agent for change, not the Status Quo.

My final remark on this subject.

Don't bust a nut over what people say on forums.

It's only the internet and I always go back to the old saying:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

My apologies to Mark Twain if I've used an exclamation mark at the end! I do love em!!!