New season for TV

Beardog

Sad to see Peace Blondie gone on the forum I can't ever remember the loss of free speech & rarely was anything so heavy handed. Like others I may be moving over to different Motorcycle forums that let you speak freely.

• Like 2

huh peace blondie hasn't posted on here for years...biggrin.png

i still like the forum ,over the years you learn to ignore the idiots and let them play there silly trolling games,i don't feel the need to start new topics and comment on every topic there is but if i think there is b.s. going on i will point it out and sometimes make a funny sarcastic comment,of coarse this can then lead to a little heated debate....so what if peoples opinions differ from mine,i don't care its only a internet forum,i will say there does seem to have been a few bad decisions made lately on the forum, and some people do like to try and bait some of the people that actually do get out and ride in thailand ,but then if your stuck sitting at your laptop all day i suppose boredom sets in and thats all they have to do in life.

Not the petty arguments that are a bother but the lack of free speech sucks! I like difference of opinions. it would be boring if we were all the identical clones. But I wish TVland was not as heavy handed now as it was in the past . (DELETE - Discuss Moderation)

• Like 1

Like Beardog I am getting jaded with this forum. On other forums I have always described TV to people as the nanny forum but lately there seems to be more nannies!

As one poster said "Grow up and leave if this forum isnt the right place for you." Maybe that's good advice......maybe not, but it is an option!

• Like 2

I'm now finding it hard to get my point across on this topic without mentioning or making suggestions about moderation so i am gonna let it lie.

below is a quote from allanb post , i agree with this its a little childish even ,throwing your toys out the pram because they are not playing by your rules.

Last time I checked I noticed I wasn't married to this forum, so a divorce is hardly necessary, if you get piste off go and do something else for a while. All this talk about "I am leaving you and NEVER coming back"

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

who said about leaving & never coming back David Boo said that but today by 8am I got 6 calls from other TV members that are pissed about the heavy handed lashings......It would be nice to see the forum back the way it was with minimal supervision as this is the only safe haven from snipers & drunks in the local forums. Besides I would rather see my buds happy happy than over regulated. This forum never needed much help in that & as I recall when I first started Peace Blondie (Which I know through other than TV was never on an overbearing kick. Sometimes with power it goes to the ego But it can be corrected & be enjoyable instead of irritating to be in the bike forum. It just makes me sad to see what once was a fairly happy forum go downhill. But a change of polarity & it can get back to good old times like before. Sure there are disagreements. Can you imagine if we were all clones BORING! I like adversity & you get to learn from others when you listen & vice versa. The forum is alright just needs a lighter touch so members aren't calling up at 8 in the morning to vent. No offense meant to anyone or disrespect most of us agree on the point of the matter. Reminds me of the WAR tune why can't we be friends.

I'm now finding it hard to get my point across on this topic without mentioning or making suggestions about moderation so i am gonna let it lie.

below is a quote from allanb post , i agree with this its a little childish even ,throwing your toys out the pram because they are not playing by your rules.

Last time I checked I noticed I wasn't married to this forum, so a divorce is hardly necessary, if you get piste off go and do something else for a while. All this talk about "I am leaving you and NEVER coming back"

You two are classic cases in point. Beardog, we met at Bira Circuit through a thread on TV about a track day there. Whilst we've not ridden together, you can bet for sure that if we chance to meet in Patts, we'll sit down for a beer.

taninthai, again through TV, we arranged our two mind blowing trips around Thailand recently. From being complete strangers to bunking in with me so that we could have an earlier start the next day.

TV has been a great resource for meeting with other riders, people with a common passion. I fear that such arrangements might get rarer if regular riders start to desert the forum for others.

We are adults, we can give as good as we take. I said before in an earlier post on another thread, that moderation should be reactive and not pro-active, ie only upon reports by other members. Unacceptable posts should be kept on the thread as an example of what mods deem unacceptable and other posters can give their opinion.

I believe this is the freedom of speech that the OP was referring to.

• Like 2

You know if the site would dedicate more time to kick out the dweebs like Showgirl & mr smith snake eyes that never have anything good to say & do not even own bikes I am sure most of us would agree that would be a great service to TV so the serious riders & I am not talking about cc.size would greatly appreciate it. If you wanna whine go to the local bitching forums so you can enjoy getting intoxicated on Loa koa or beer Chang when your bored. I find all the people I ride with & even speak with on this site to be really cool people & I am glad to meet everyone's acquaintances & build friendships with others that share the same things in common.

All the guys I met up with in Bira were all cool to talk with & info shared always a joy. My rides I have been on were a lot of fun & would like to see that continue.Just about all of us agree we would rather see the forum like the good old days so the ones of us that haven't shared Tele numbers or Emails don't get lost in the fray if we start drifting apart. I mean isn't that the meaning of life to enjoy each others company in a sport that we all share a common interest in. Or at least part of life at any rate. Looking forward to a lucky year with change of hearts welcome.And even though I may not agree on all points shared it is better than becoming a lone wolf & not being able to socialize. 11 years here & I can say not to many people I didn't care for on this forum. Pattaya forum I wish I could say the same, but people often times go out of their way to be grumpy & not so much fun. But the bike forum is a way healthy outlet & I hate to see old friends wanting to leave when it does not have to be this way.

• Like 2

First I would like to say that Peace Blondie is still active on this forum, but mainly related with Chiang Mai… Peace Blondie had a few years ago a stroke, and is still recovering… and sure Peace Blondie has not posted much on Thaivisa, I guess and respect that other things are much more important if you struggle to put a spoon into your mouth than posting on Thaivisa. I hope with all my heart that Peace Blondie ever finds the passion for motorcycles again and joins us on this forum. I can say that nobody is censuring Peace Blondie, I also have the idea that I hear that Peace Blondie requested to not be an moderator on Thaivisa anymore… That had nothing to do with censoring or freedom of speech….

• Like 2

First I would like to say that Peace Blondie is still active on this forum, but mainly related with Chiang Mai… Peace Blondie had a few years ago a stroke, and is still recovering… and sure Peace Blondie has not posted much on Thaivisa, I guess and respect that other things are much more important if you struggle to put a spoon into your mouth than posting on Thaivisa. I hope with all my heart that Peace Blondie ever finds the passion for motorcycles again and joins us on this forum. I can say that nobody is censuring Peace Blondie, I also have the idea that I hear that Peace Blondie requested to not be an moderator on Thaivisa anymore… That had nothing to do with censoring or freedom of speech….

I know him personally & knew about his condition years ago & he was a very good person as well!

• Like 1

I dont know what this vendetta is about or when it started. But i dont like it and i am sure most other members visiting this forum are confused and dont like it either. Grow up and leave if this forum isnt the right place for you. I am happy this forum has some kind of moderation now and i hope it stays this way.

Having different opinions are fine. Agreeing to disagree is fully acceptable. However, some members are so stubborn and bull headed to insist on their opinion that when they run out of arguments, they start attacking the posters that disagree with them by labelling them as forum bullies and "ganging" up to drive others away.

Nothing can be further from the truth. I doubt if any posters here are communicating behind the scenes deciding on which poster to "gang" up on. If a poster feels that he or she is being "ganged" up on, it's probably because their's is the only voice of dissent among commonly accepted opinions. Instead of resorting to insults, these posters should either try to see the others' point of view or come back with convincing arguments.

The majority of us here are riders. We enjoy riding, we want to improve our riding, skills, techniques and roadcraft. No sensible advise will be attacked for no reason. After all, it's not a laughing matter but a matter of life and death. These can be measured in milliseconds, in inches. That's why topics like braking, stopping in time, riding in wet conditions should be staple threads on a motorbiking forum. Instead, some agent provocateur comes along to disrupt the thread and instead of pinpoint "sniping" by the authorities that are, a WMD is lobbed into the thread resulting in wholesale edit and deletion and the eventual closure.

Up until a few weeks ago, the biking forum was a fun place to hang out, with posters debating and arguing about various issues. Even off TV friends (ie guys that ride together) have disagreements on TV. It was fun. But it never (or seldom at least) resorted to full out frontal and ad hominem attacks on other posters. But a few weeks ago, a certain nastiness appeared on this forum. I guess the mods deemed it OTT and started smashing walnuts with sledgehammers.

Shame as even the attacks were fun to read.

> After all, it's not a laughing matter but a matter of life and death. These can be measured in milliseconds, in inches.

Gweilo, i think you take this riding thingie much too serious. Not that i want you to stop from doing so if you like. But this forum will never be a collection of god-given riding lessons. And i am not sure you can teach us "the truth".

> But it never (or seldom at least) resorted to full out frontal and ad hominem attacks on other posters.

At least i am happy to see that now you know what "ad hominem" means. Not long ago you told me something like this when i used this term:

"Do they still speak Latin in your part of the world? That would account for your outdated thoughts on safety and motorcycling skills."

Edited by wantan

You know if the site would dedicate more time to kick out the dweebs like Showgirl & mr smith snake eyes that never have anything good to say & do not even own bikes I am sure most of us would agree that would be a great service to TV so the serious riders & I am not talking about cc.size would greatly appreciate it. If you wanna whine go to the local bitching forums so you can enjoy getting intoxicated on Loa koa or beer Chang when your bored. I find all the people I ride with & even speak with on this site to be really cool people & I am glad to meet everyone's acquaintances & build friendships with others that share the same things in common.

All the guys I met up with in Bira were all cool to talk with & info shared always a joy. My rides I have been on were a lot of fun & would like to see that continue.Just about all of us agree we would rather see the forum like the good old days so the ones of us that haven't shared Tele numbers or Emails don't get lost in the fray if we start drifting apart. I mean isn't that the meaning of life to enjoy each others company in a sport that we all share a common interest in. Or at least part of life at any rate. Looking forward to a lucky year with change of hearts welcome.And even though I may not agree on all points shared it is better than becoming a lone wolf & not being able to socialize. 11 years here & I can say not to many people I didn't care for on this forum. Pattaya forum I wish I could say the same, but people often times go out of their way to be grumpy & not so much fun. But the bike forum is a way healthy outlet & I hate to see old friends wanting to leave when it does not have to be this way.

> You know if the site would dedicate more time to kick out the dweebs like Showgirl & mr smith snake eyes that never have anything good to say & do not even own bikes...

Interresting, you open a thread to whine about "loss of free speech" and then you alter the nicknames and attack other members who not even have posted in this thread. I am very happy if this is not considered as part of free speech anymore.

• Like 1

I dont know what this vendetta is about or when it started. But i dont like it and i am sure most other members visiting this forum are confused and dont like it either. Grow up and leave if this forum isnt the right place for you. I am happy this forum has some kind of moderation now and i hope it stays this way.

Having different opinions are fine. Agreeing to disagree is fully acceptable. However, some members are so stubborn and bull headed to insist on their opinion that when they run out of arguments, they start attacking the posters that disagree with them by labelling them as forum bullies and "ganging" up to drive others away.

Nothing can be further from the truth. I doubt if any posters here are communicating behind the scenes deciding on which poster to "gang" up on. If a poster feels that he or she is being "ganged" up on, it's probably because their's is the only voice of dissent among commonly accepted opinions. Instead of resorting to insults, these posters should either try to see the others' point of view or come back with convincing arguments.

The majority of us here are riders. We enjoy riding, we want to improve our riding, skills, techniques and roadcraft. No sensible advise will be attacked for no reason. After all, it's not a laughing matter but a matter of life and death. These can be measured in milliseconds, in inches. That's why topics like braking, stopping in time, riding in wet conditions should be staple threads on a motorbiking forum. Instead, some agent provocateur comes along to disrupt the thread and instead of pinpoint "sniping" by the authorities that are, a WMD is lobbed into the thread resulting in wholesale edit and deletion and the eventual closure.

Up until a few weeks ago, the biking forum was a fun place to hang out, with posters debating and arguing about various issues. Even off TV friends (ie guys that ride together) have disagreements on TV. It was fun. But it never (or seldom at least) resorted to full out frontal and ad hominem attacks on other posters. But a few weeks ago, a certain nastiness appeared on this forum. I guess the mods deemed it OTT and started smashing walnuts with sledgehammers.

Shame as even the attacks were fun to read.

> After all, it's not a laughing matter but a matter of life and death. These can be measured in milliseconds, in inches.

Gweilo, i think you take this riding thingie much too serious. Not that i want you to stop from doing so if you like it. But this forum will never be a collection of god-given riding lessons. And i am not sure you can teach us "the truth".

> But it never (or seldom at least) resorted to full out frontal and ad hominem attacks on other posters.

At least i am happy to see that now you know what "ad hominem" means. Not long ago you told me something like this when i used this term:

"Do they still speak Latin in your part of the world? That would account for your outdated thoughts on safety and motorcycling skills."

In all honesty, no idea what you are talking about in the second part of your post. If I had said previously that I thought you had outdated thoughts, nothing you have posted since then have led me to change my mind.

With regards to your first point. Yes, I do take riding seriously. Not just because I was taught that if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing right. But because riding is an inherently dangerous activity (some posters might disagree - that's their prerogative). But in my view, riding is dangerous and therefore, we need to be aware of the dangers and to take the necessary steps to minimise the risks, firstly in trying to avoid accidents and secondly, in the event of an accident, to minimise the injuries. That is why I fully endorse posts by posters such as RSD who is arguably the most gear conscious poster on this forum (if anyone noticed, his postings figures have slowed dramatically in recent weeks). On the other hand, we have supposedly expert and long time riders (who has forgotten more than I will ever know) who advocates that it's unnecessary to be helmeted or to wear protective clothing.

If this forum is merely going to be a collection of keyboard warriors, old timers who rode a 400 cc bike 30 years ago but have only ridden a 100 cc step through in the last 20 years, self proclaimed experts who contends that everyone else is wrong (the real experts always agree to disagree - never to tell others that they are wrong), then it would be a crime to call this a biking forum. There is of course room for all those posters I mentioned above - they have the right to state their opinion after all (free speech and all that jazz).

But the fact is that there are some riders who likes to ride big bikes at high speeds. The forum should also cater to them. Those who disapprove may voice their disapproval but no one if forcing them to comment. If they wish too, then they should be able to fight their corner if push comes to shove.

I like to participate in a forum where everyone is encouraged to present their point of view, regardless of whether it coincides with mine or not. I can't be bothered with a forum that forces everyone to agree with every point of view presented (not saying that TV is such a forum by the way, for now).

I have had lots of personal attacks on my "lack of experience" in recent weeks. It's not a big deal to me at all; I've seen lots of situations where less experienced people have kicked the ass of more experienced people - not just in motorcycling but in practically every aspect of life. Experience is grand, no doubt - but it's only a small part of the equation. The most dangerous riders out there are those that think they already know everything. As for me, I know I still have a lot to learn. That's why I keep coming back to this forum. But if the time comes that I feel there is nothing more that I can gain from or contribute to this forum, then I will most certainly be doing a dave_boo.

In all honesty, no idea what you are talking about in the second part of your post. If I had said previously that I thought you had outdated thoughts, nothing you have posted since then have led me to change my mind.

With regards to your first point. Yes, I do take riding seriously. Not just because I was taught that if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing right. But because riding is an inherently dangerous activity (some posters might disagree - that's their prerogative). But in my view, riding is dangerous and therefore, we need to be aware of the dangers and to take the necessary steps to minimise the risks, firstly in trying to avoid accidents and secondly, in the event of an accident, to minimise the injuries. That is why I fully endorse posts by posters such as RSD who is arguably the most gear conscious poster on this forum (if anyone noticed, his postings figures have slowed dramatically in recent weeks). On the other hand, we have supposedly expert and long time riders (who has forgotten more than I will ever know) who advocates that it's unnecessary to be helmeted or to wear protective clothing.

If this forum is merely going to be a collection of keyboard warriors, old timers who rode a 400 cc bike 30 years ago but have only ridden a 100 cc step through in the last 20 years, self proclaimed experts who contends that everyone else is wrong (the real experts always agree to disagree - never to tell others that they are wrong), then it would be a crime to call this a biking forum. There is of course room for all those posters I mentioned above - they have the right to state their opinion after all (free speech and all that jazz).

But the fact is that there are some riders who likes to ride big bikes at high speeds. The forum should also cater to them. Those who disapprove may voice their disapproval but no one if forcing them to comment. If they wish too, then they should be able to fight their corner if push comes to shove.

I like to participate in a forum where everyone is encouraged to present their point of view, regardless of whether it coincides with mine or not. I can't be bothered with a forum that forces everyone to agree with every point of view presented (not saying that TV is such a forum by the way, for now).

I have had lots of personal attacks on my "lack of experience" in recent weeks. It's not a big deal to me at all; I've seen lots of situations where less experienced people have kicked the ass of more experienced people - not just in motorcycling but in practically every aspect of life. Experience is grand, no doubt - but it's only a small part of the equation. The most dangerous riders out there are those that think they already know everything. As for me, I know I still have a lot to learn. That's why I keep coming back to this forum. But if the time comes that I feel there is nothing more that I can gain from or contribute to this forum, then I will most certainly be doing a dave_boo.

Thanks for the long reply, i did not expect that. But i give up, you sure have more time to write longish posts and to attack other members than i have. You are the winner. And you get a doubleplusgood for all your effort to become a better rider, congrats.

(Post Edited) rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Long time reader, short time poster.

We all agreed to abide by the TV Forum rules when we joined. Why are so many posters here surprised when someone posts insulting, trolling or flaming topics and then get censured?

If someone quotes your post and makes such comments, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to reply. Leave it for the powers that be, and these posters will soon enough be gone.

Some on here complain about loss of freedom of speech, and yet imagine what this forum would be like if someone did not keep all the (deleted) in line.

Follow the rules and post what you like. Insult people and you will Reap what you Sow.

Good post and true in my opinion, unfortunately a few people on here think the world revolves around them and we must all worship their opinion even when many think that it is a load of waffle and completely wrong, no problem with that, opinions and &lt;deleted&gt; and all that but to keep whining about it is very tiresome...maybe some here have too much time on their hands...

• Like 1

Wantan I made reference to those two un quality posters a smith has about 6 posts stating he hates bikes & absolutely enjoys terrorizing the rider with his truck A road rager. I had to post every one of his road rage rants to get him off this forum. He is giving advise to riders but did not only not own a bike but never owned a bike & is afraid of him. I am neither a brain surgeon or an artist so you will never find me pretending to be one & give advise on either subject. Just not right. Showgirl has no bike either. He pops in on all the forums & just loves to stir the pot a real loser lonely kind of guy & most likely never had a friend his entire life.The one with the pig with lipstick.I gave him that avatar & he used it for a while LOL! Neither of those 2 posters ever have had anything to offer & while everyone is welcome to join in I just don't get what satisfaction that these people are getting just being disruptive. I would much rather agree to disagree on things about bikes instead of being in Say a Pattaya forum that most of the Expats are so grumpy that it isn't a joy to converse with.Even when I am on that forum I try to be helpful because Thailand is a bitch at best for a foreigner & any help on any thing is always appreciated. Now if I see anyone's bike dead on the road I always stop & offer assistance . I know what it can be like to have a broken down machine(not that it happens to me often as I take very good care of my equipment) but one can have an unforeseen thing go south.Even though I am not into Harleys any more I will stop for them too as The way I see it we are all brothers in arms taking a chance every time we jump on our rides & I personally believe as most of us on the forum will stop & aid someone even if it is just a scooter because most have good hearts & offer camaraderie to fellow riders. Biking isn't just a sport it is a way of life. So I wasn't singling out the usual TV members Heck I am friends with most in various degrees. In fact my best friend I know in Thailand I met on this forum years ago & am thankful for that!

• Like 2

Thanks for the long reply, i did not expect that. But i give up, you sure have more time to write longish posts and to attack other members than i have. You are the winner. And you get a doubleplusgood for all your effort to become a better rider, congrats.

(Post Edited) rolleyes.gif

Yes, I do have time on my hands especially in the evenings because I don't spend them sitting on bar stools (not saying that you do of course).

As for attacking other members, I don't do that unless as a response to an attack on me. Furthermore, I attack the content of the post and not the member personally. I wouldn't have been a member of TV for so long without being suspended otherwise.

(Deleted)

• Like 2

Long time reader, short time poster.

We all agreed to abide by the TV Forum rules when we joined. Why are so many posters here surprised when someone posts insulting, trolling or flaming topics and then get censured?

If someone quotes your post and makes such comments, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to reply. Leave it for the powers that be, and these posters will soon enough be gone.

Some on here complain about loss of freedom of speech, and yet imagine what this forum would be like if someone did not keep all the (deleted) in line.

Follow the rules and post what you like. Insult people and you will Reap what you Sow.

Good post and true in my opinion, unfortunately a few people on here think the world revolves around them and we must all worship their opinion even when many think that it is a load of waffle and completely wrong, no problem with that, opinions and <deleted> and all that but to keep whining about it is very tiresome...maybe some here have too much time on their hands...

Some regular posters post here often to try and keep the forum alive. A healthy forum that has lots of ongoing active threads would attract more and more new posters (such as Dragon 54). This in turn keeps the advertisers happy which in turn allows TVF to continue flourishing and provide us with a forum to exchange ideas, seek advice and meet new friends.

Win win for all, don't you think?

Two previously very active posters with a wealth of information has stopped posting altogether. A few others hardly post anymore. The forum's getting less interesting and this is detriment to the health of the forum, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Gweilo, my remarks got edited too, only a blinking smiley is left. But i already have forgotten what it was about that was deleted. It wasnt that much important i guess. Maybe the trick is to write less important things. So it doesnt hurt that much if they get deleted thumbsup.gif

^
I put a twinkering smiley behind my last post. It should have been obvious that my comment wasnt meant that serious.

RSD, i am a member for double the time you are. There was a time i invested much time in this forum. Maybe i will do it again in future, maybe not. Shouldnt be your concern.