Buying Jade in Chiang Mai

BonnieandClyde

Last Christmas we sent some small gifts home to relatives. Among them was a jade bead bracelet to one of our nieces. She loved it.

On an upcoming visit she wants to buy various jade items for herself and some samples with a view to possibily selling them in the future.

She thinks we are knowledgeable about jade - nothing could be further from the truth.

Hence the request for information.

Good sources of supply; tips about buying, etc. would be most welcome.

I have bought and sold Jade for many, many years.

It's a very challenging gemstone to deal with, and to be honest, a few tips on TV will give you enough knowledge to possibly make expensive mistakes.

Go to Google. There are plenty of good sites that help you understand more about jade, and what makes one piece more valuable that another.

There are also plenty of books that will help. Big, thick books....that tells you how much there is to know about Jade. Absorb all you can before you attempt to buy.

But it all comes down to buying Jade, buying from as "close" to the source as possible (remove layers of margin), knowing what to look for, negotiating for the best deal for the best stones...otherwise, what you buy in the stores here is pretty much junk at retail prices and there is no money to be made. Nice jewelry as gifts, but no money.

• Like 1

You are in the right place to buy Burma Jadeite.

Chiang Mai and the Burmese border markets have an excellent selection. It comes from the mines in the Hpakan region of Upper Burma.

If you know something about what you are buying and have some bargaining skills you can get good quality jade at reasonable prices.

With a 10X loupe you will be able to see right away if what you are looking at is real stone. The presence of minute bubbles would indicate glass, plastic, or some sort of synthetic. Real jade of the kind used for ordinary jewellery usually has variations in colour, veins, and inclusions that are readily apparent under magnification.

Burma Jadeite is harder than steel, so a knife won't scratch it. Weight is another indication - it is noticeably heavier than glass or plastic.

Detailed information about ways that its colour and translucency can be enhanced can be found online. Although I don't know if there is a quick and easy way that can be detected by the buyer. Jade is usually dipped in wax as a final finishing step. This is considered a normal trade practice.

Caveat emptor and choke dee.

• Like 2

It's a very challenging gemstone to deal with, and to be honest, a few tips on TV will give you enough knowledge to possibly make expensive mistakes.

Go to Google. There are plenty of good sites that help you understand more about jade, and what makes one piece more valuable that another.

There are also plenty of books that will help. Big, thick books....that tells you how much there is to know about Jade. Absorb all you can before you attempt to buy.

But it all comes down to buying Jade, buying from as "close" to the source as possible (remove layers of margin), knowing what to look for, negotiating for the best deal for the best stones...otherwise, what you buy in the stores here is pretty much junk at retail prices and there is no money to be made. Nice jewelry as gifts, but no money.

Much obliged for your response.

As someone who has had experience in the jade market, perhaps you would know the best places to buy.

The market in Tachilek seems to have many vendors, as well as the main street in Mae Sai.

Is there an advantage in going into Tachilek, or are the prices and quality about the same in Mae Sai?

The other border markets in Burma would be somewhat inconvienient to reach at present. Although in the future we might combine a sightseeing trip with jade buying.

...and lastly, what about Chiang Mai... any recommendations?

Presumably the less touristy places like Kad Luang and the other old markets would be better.

What are your thoughts?

You are in the right place to buy Burma Jadeite.

Chiang Mai and the Burmese border markets have an excellent selection. It comes from the mines in the Hpakan region of Upper Burma.

If you know something about what you are buying and have some bargaining skills you can get good quality jade at reasonable prices.

With a 10X loupe you will be able to see right away if what you are looking at is real stone. The presence of minute bubbles would indicate glass, plastic, or some sort of synthetic. Real jade of the kind used for ordinary jewellery usually has variations in colour, veins, and inclusions that are readily apparent under magnification.

Burma Jadeite is harder than steel, so a knife won't scratch it. Weight is another indication - it is noticeably heavier than glass or plastic.

Detailed information about ways that its colour and translucency can be enhanced can be found online. Although I don't know if there is a quick and easy way that can be detected by the buyer. Jade is usually dipped in wax as a final finishing step. This is considered a normal trade practice.

Caveat emptor and choke dee.

Thanks for that useful information.

We feel more confident already!

Much appreciated.

As someone who has had experience in the jade market, perhaps you would know the best places to buy.

The market in Tachilek seems to have many vendors, as well as the main street in Mae Sai.

Is there an advantage in going into Tachilek, or are the prices and quality about the same in Mae Sai?

The other border markets in Burma would be somewhat inconvienient to reach at present. Although in the future we might combine a sightseeing trip with jade buying.

Presumably the less touristy places like Kad Luang and the other old markets would be better.

What are your thoughts?

I can't tell quality jade from a green soda bottle, but I know I wouldn't look for it being sold by street vendors in Tachilek, Mae Sai or Chiang Mai. Unless I could enlist the help of a trustworthy gemologist, I would stick to the reputable bricks and mortar stores.

What are your thoughts?

I usually bought rough jade (uncut, lump of jade), and had it cut for my needs. On one hand it was easier to buy real, good color jade in rough form. On the other, buying rough is risky. You can never tell exactly what is inside large pieces of rough.

The markets around the border have everything from glass copy to real jade, although you won't find the really high quality stuff there...but I don't think you are looking for that. You can find some nice pieces at reasonable prices and make sure you bargain really hard and have some fun with it. The Burmese Jade can be very good, but a lot of what is at the markets will be lower quality (color wise) Chinese. Nothing wrong with that. Just do a little research online for what constitutes good color and go hunting.

But for sure, it will be much, much cheaper than buying in Australia. The Burmese side will be similar goods, probably a bit cheaper, but that side can be a bit of a mess of people.

Bangkok's Jewelry Trade Center is another place to have a look, but it can be a bit intimidating and less fun, so I would stick to the border markets, try a few of the shops in CM (some of the bead shops have interesting stones) and have fun with it.

Good luck.

I usually bought rough jade (uncut, lump of jade), and had it cut for my needs. On one hand it was easier to buy real, good color jade in rough form. On the other, buying rough is risky. You can never tell exactly what is inside large pieces of rough.

The markets around the border have everything from glass copy to real jade, although you won't find the really high quality stuff there...but I don't think you are looking for that. You can find some nice pieces at reasonable prices and make sure you bargain really hard and have some fun with it. The Burmese Jade can be very good, but a lot of what is at the markets will be lower quality (color wise) Chinese. Nothing wrong with that. Just do a little research online for what constitutes good color and go hunting.

But for sure, it will be much, much cheaper than buying in Australia. The Burmese side will be similar goods, probably a bit cheaper, but that side can be a bit of a mess of people.

Bangkok's Jewelry Trade Center is another place to have a look, but it can be a bit intimidating and less fun, so I would stick to the border markets, try a few of the shops in CM (some of the bead shops have interesting stones) and have fun with it.

Good luck.

No doubt there is a potential for good profit in trading jadite rough, for those who know the business.

Our interest is in cut jade in the form of jewelery and small carvings. The quality of the workmanship is important as well as colour and clarity. However, it doesn't have to be of the highest grade.

The jade items of the type sold by vendors and small shops is what we and our young relative are looking for. The purpose of opening this topic was to get some basic information about being able to identify real jade, and where to buy it around here.

Thanks to you and the other posters for sharing your knowledge; it has been a great help.