Hard Drive Problems

Captain Haddock

My PC's about three years old. It stopped detecting the original HD a month or so ago, and therefore wouldn't boot up. Swapped my newer HD which I had been using as an external unit, and it worked fine, after installing the OS. Now the PC isn't detecting this HD, either. However, when it was working over the last month, the old HD was recognised as an external unit, no problem! So I'm thinking that the HDs aren't at fault, but something else is. I recently replaced the old RAM card, as the old one was dead (I was told), just prior to all this.

Any ideas? Motherboard dying?

It's a Celeron 1.7 Ghz, 512 Mb thing running XP Pro. ASUS motherboard with GeForce 440MX graphics card. I know it's getting old, but it was fine for most things.

Time to scrap the whole thing and replace? I want to keep the data on my old HDs, though.

Cheers...

My PC's about three years old. It stopped detecting the original HD a month or so ago, and therefore wouldn't boot up. Swapped my newer HD which I had been using as an external unit, and it worked fine, after installing the OS. Now the PC isn't detecting this HD, either. However, when it was working over the last month, the old HD was recognised as an external unit, no problem! So I'm thinking that the HDs aren't at fault, but something else is. I recently replaced the old RAM card, as the old one was dead (I was told), just prior to all this.

Any ideas? Motherboard dying?

It's a Celeron 1.7 Ghz, 512 Mb thing running XP Pro. ASUS motherboard with GeForce 440MX graphics card. I know it's getting old, but it was fine for most things.

Time to scrap the whole thing and replace? I want to keep the data on my old HDs, though.

Cheers...

Make sure that the disk is spinning up (put your finger on top of it and power your PC on). Loose power connectors are a common cause of undetected hard disks. Take out the power cable, reseat it tightly. You can do the same for the IDE (flat) cable. If the IDE cable looks old, you can replace it too. Sometime they break were folded.

If the disk spins up, listen for any unusual noise: repeating clickety-clicks means head can't position itself, in this case the disk is gone.

--Lannig

• 4 months later...
May it is the HDD, may not!

If the Bios do not detect the HHD by booting, go inside the bios and check that the IDE connect is set to AUTO.

If the HDD is found by re-booting, check the RAM! It is possible that the RAM not compatible with the MB! Mainly check that the frequency of the memory is higher than it should be! On the website if the MB manufacturer you can find the spec!

For me at first is listen like that the memory was start and forcing this problems because:

I recently replaced the old RAM card, as the old one was dead (I was told), just prior to all this.
So, if the memory isn't 100% compatible, you face problems!

Try to borrough same different memorybanks for testing! Tkae the comp to an shop and ask for new memory but test before buy, the comp should boot up and recognize the attached drives as well.

If you in BKK, you can PM me.