The 2015 Pattaya Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

If you really need to go to Central or the areas of Soi 7& 8 then just make sure you go before noon, or be prepared to get wet. Obviously the 19th will be a different story. I have experienced Songkran here since 1994 & I'm sure it used to be far worse than this back then?

Central opens at 11 am, so going before noon is not really an option.

The night before the big day on the 19th people throw water all through the night all over town. You can't even get along 3rd dry at 3 am.

I live near 3rd road and will be interested to test this theory.

3:00am??

Once again, it was an actual event, not a theory, as I went shopping at Foodland at 2 am and rode back home along 3rd Road. It was also mentioned in this thread - there are a lot of people throwing water on 3rd Road early on the 19th. I even witnessed a collision of 2 motorcycles caused by water throwing on that particular morning. Of course you're so vested in rubbishing this thread that even if you got hit by water at 3am on the 19th, you'd probably not mention it.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just water? Tell that, for example, to the survivors of the storm surge in Tacloban City which killed 7000 in late in 2013, or the people flooded out in the Bangkok during the 2011 floods.

555 this is comedy gold. Now I know you're joking. You had me going for a minute there smile.png

Good one.

My family home is 58 km from Tacloban, so that particular natural disaster was not just a news event or a joke - it cost me a fortune. Water is a very dangerous indeed. Wait until you've had a high pressure water gun aimed directly at you face and tell me it's only water.

Comparing a water gun at Songkran though? Come on. This is why it's so hard to take you seriously.

It's just water? Tell that, for example, to the survivors of the storm surge in Tacloban City which killed 7000 in late in 2013, or the people flooded out in the Bangkok during the 2011 floods.

555 this is comedy gold. Now I know you're joking. You had me going for a minute there smile.png

Good one.

My family home is 58 km from Tacloban, so that particular natural disaster was not just a news event or a joke - it cost me a fortune. Water is a very dangerous indeed. Wait until you've had a high pressure water gun aimed directly at you face and tell me it's only water.

Comparing a water gun at Songkran though? Come on. This is why it's so hard to take you seriously.

You're just being obtuse here. You know I'm serious about everything I say about Songkran. That would be obvious to anyone reading this thread. "It's only water" is a cliche we hear all the time in relation to Songkran. Surely you're aware that people die on the road during Songkran. A lot of these deaths are a result of "only water". It is how the water is applied which makes it dangerous. Ask yourself, would they allow this activity in your hometown? I doubt it very much due to the dangers involved.

Edited by tropo

Ok I will take one for the team here. Today I am giving my liver the day off so there will be no Soi 7 however I am happy to test your theory and go out tomorrow and gauge numbers. So far the 13th was clearly the busiest with more venues throwing water.

FYI people drinking in bars such as Witherspoons and the one across from it on the corner who didn't want to participate were not being soaked whilst enjoying an afternoon beer. Getting to and from said venue whilst staying dry would probably be more of a challenge but it is hot so you dry really quickly. The baht bus is of course a target but the people I saw laughed it off.

Another FYI those powerful water pumps were being taken off people yesterday on Soi 7 and 8 by the police. I saw them doing it. I didn't see one fight even thought there were plenty of drunk revelers but the police were getting wet and getting involved.

It's not a theory - it is personal experience from 9 previous Pattaya Songkrans... and the experience from hundreds of others over many years.

If you get drenched in the hot sun you will not dry quickly. Undergarments will stay wet all day. If you're going into an air conditioned mall, that will be even more uncomfortable.

You will find that contributors to this forum are not tourists who laugh off getting wet (in the baht buses), but mainly expats who live here permanently and don't find it so funny anymore after many years. This is a survival thread for people who don't wish to participate. You have the option of starting a thread detailing how much fun you had during Songkran. You will also have your followers, I'm sure.

We welcome your summary on the 20th when it is all over. I feel you're not being objective though and trying hard to find a way to undermine the information you found in this thread. For example, what's the point of telling us that customers at Witherspoons were able to enjoy an afternoon beer without being soaked when it is impossible to get to Witherspoons dry and most got soaked on the way there.

Do you ride a motorcycle around, walk or take baht buses?

Spoiler alert: It's just water smile.png

Deep breathes.

Have you left your estate at any point during the last 8 Songkrans? You seem to be basing all your 'experience' on Youtube and Thaivisa posts Nothing wrong with that. I'm telling you what Pattaya was like on the first 3 official days of Songkran this year because I was in Pattaya. On the 'mean streets' if you like. I rode my bike, walked and got on the baht bus. No water was thrown on any of the small soi's before noon as far as I could see. Can you tell me about Songkran 2015?

I don't wear undergarments in the summer here as it's too hot wink.png Is that TMI? Commando is the way forward. My bad. If you don't find it fun anymore (assuming you ever did) avoid like 6 soi's in Pattaya not the whole of Pattaya. It's only in certain areas. Really.

I have to ask have you ever lived in Thailand before you moved to Pattaya? Are you of an age that cold water is a health issue for you? I guess it's about perspective, balance and recent experience. If that's an issue then your negative outlook is understandable. I have seen Songkran in other cities. Check out Khon Kaen and Korat if you want to see a city shut down for 3 days. That didn't happen here, sorry it just didn't.

I'm updating this thread because when I read the OP I was genuinely worried but now I know that the picture you have painted isn't accurate.

Maybe the 18th and 19th will be extreme but they are just two days not eight or nine. I'll keep updating this thread so those people who are avoiding the festival will know what the logistical challenges are in the future.

Unfortunately it is not 'just water'...

And where do you suppose the 'just water' that there is comes from?

Once again, it was an actual event, not a theory, as I went shopping at Foodland at 2 am and rode back home along 3rd Road. It was also mentioned in this thread - there are a lot of people throwing water on 3rd Road early on the 19th. I even witnessed a collision of 2 motorcycles caused by water throwing on that particular morning. Of course you're so vested in rubbishing this thread that even if you got hit by water at 3am on the 19th, you'd probably not mention it.

You went shopping at 2am? OK...

I nearly always shop after midnight all year round. I'm a night owl. Your point?

Are you surprised that some people shop late at night instead of drowning themselves in beer?

Another time I got hit by a full bucket of ice water on a back street coming home from Foodland at about 11 pm. This was around mid-Songkran week.

I should have laughed it off, but I didn't. I dunked the Thai guy's head in his own tank of ice water. That's the main reason why I like to avoid water attacks - I may do something I regret when I'm attacked.

One Post Hidden

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of
shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the
original post.

I noticed they dont throw water on the Indian business owners nor on many of the Chinese women. Coming back down Second Road from Soi Post Office today I was fine when I left the Soi but it didnt take long for the idiot brigade to soak me. Seems to be a lot more people sitting in the shadows sniggering whenever someone gets the ice-water down the back - for me, it might have been funny the first couple of times but rapidly wore thin after that. Also seeing a lot more water being aimed at the eyes of motorbike riders, and that's about as cretinous as it gets. Watched a group of Thais trying to chisel away at a massive block of ice so they could get it into their water container : again, a trend I despise but apparently I'm a miserable old git.

For all that, when its just kids - Thai and Farang - throwing water there is a certain innocent charm to the madness : sadly, the overgrown kids cant seem to help themselves. Monkey see, monkey do - roll on April 20.

Edit: held off going to Made in Thailand until 12:30am this morning based on the FAQ advice and thankfully they had (finally) stopped - note that they dont throw water in the bars on the 'pink' side but you have to run a gauntlet to get there. There were some very drunk people still kicking on when I left the Soi at 3am but it felt good to be able to walk home without wondering whether some clown with a bucket of ice water was waiting around the corner

Edited by MrWorldwide

Day four from the frontline. The Angsta report.

Casualties mounted up today as the amount of non Thai people experiencing temporary dampness increased. Many ex-pats were affected this has been confirmed. Rumours of a minutes silence this coming Friday have yet to be confirmed.

If you gave a freezer, a low paid Thai security guard and a marriage or retirement visa then the official advice is to stay indoors until the 20th. Stay safe people. #pray4pattaya

If you gave a freezer, a low paid Thai security guard and a marriage or retirement visa then the official advice is to stay indoors until the 20th. Stay safe people. #pray4pattaya

Have you been drinking too much again? Any chance you could translate that into English?

Perhaps you could start a new thread: "Pattaya Songkran updates from a drunk's perspective" or something along those lines.biggrin.png

Have you been drinking too much again? Any chance you could translate that into English?

Perhaps you could start a new thread: "Pattaya Songkran updates from a drunk's perspective" or something along those lines.biggrin.png

It was a reasonable attempt at wit, particularly the hashtag at the end - not a Twitterer but I guess few of us miserable old gits are.

Someone told me that Jomtien are gonna hold their big (Songkran) day on Monday the 20th & the streets will be awash. This info came from a thai 'in the know' so to speak, but I can't really believe that the revelry would continue beyond the 19th.

Can anyone confirm or deny this 'rumour' ??

Very quite on he roads today early afternoon, I drove my car from NaJomtien to Big C S-Pattaya, less traffic than normal, then up Pattaya Tai, almost no cars, only a few bikes. Then I turned left to Jomtien and 2nd road , same thing, few cars and almost a new record for me to get back.

Edited by balo

It was a reasonable attempt at wit, particularly the hashtag at the end - not a Twitterer but I guess few of us miserable old gits are.

Looking at it again, it was merely another attack on older expats along the same lines as before i.e. If you don't like Songkran, then you must be a miserable old man. i.e. Everyone else enjoys it.

Someone told me that Jomtien are gonna hold their big (Songkran) day on Monday the 20th & the streets will be awash. This info came from a thai 'in the know' so to speak, but I can't really believe that the revelry would continue beyond the 19th.

Can anyone confirm or deny this 'rumour' ??

Pretty sure that is false information coming from someone who has live in Jomtien for years.

Lenkee was wet after dark earlier although it seemed to be scaling down plenty of civilians getting hit.

Tomorrow isn't a day you want to be wandering around town unprepared.

7pm yesterday second road was dry.

Very quite on he roads today early afternoon, I drove my car from NaJomtien to Big C S-Pattaya, less traffic than normal, then up Pattaya Tai, almost no cars, only a few bikes. Then I turned left to Jomtien and 2nd road , same thing, few cars and almost a new record for me to get back.

Noticed that on Second Road / Klang at 10pm last night - very few vehicles on the road. The restaurants appeared to be doing OK but the bars were mostly empty - my Thai associates insist that today is the big day : from where I'm sitting that will have to be courtesy of a massive showing from the BKK brigade. Definitely more Farang women throwing water over the last couple of days, including a redhead whose English Rose complexion must surely have suffered during an afternoon throwing water on Second Road.

Was on suk, third road and Pattaya tai earlier. No traffic jam to end all traffic jams as far as I could see? In fact they are pretty quiet.

Today is Naklua's turn, the jam packed road should be the Naklua road from up north until the Dolphin circle. I might be going there myself, usually it's mostly Thais.

Tomorrow, if things are good, all hell should break loose in Suk & Pattaya proper. After that it might be some cells left in Sattahip on the 20th, in case this hasn't sated the warrior spirits.

No problems to drive today in the Jomtien area. Same as yesterday, few cars on the roads. I avoid beach rd but all the other sois seems to be quite.....

Big traffic coming down Klang trying to get to Naklua or Beach Road - they closed off access to Beach Road at arguably one of the worst intersections in central Pattaya and the result was that while traffic flowed reasonably freely down Second Road, it was a complete basketcase as far as the eye could see up Klang. Only someone who lives in BKK would be prepared to sit in traffic like that - a hot afternoon to boot - but I was surprised by how light traffic was on Third Road by the time I'd made my way back. Have it on good authority that most of the action around Dolphin Roundabout was mostly Thais - I climbed out of the baht bus I was on in near Tops and walked across the road to get some photos of new condo development than retreated : couldnt see much point traipsing all the way down to Dusit for the sake of a few more photos.

The FAQ mentioned loud music in virtually every neighbourhood and we seem to have reached that stage tonight - looking forward to the 20th in a big way. Any half-smart bar owner would organise an END OF SONGKRAN party for the night of the 20th - Happy Hour all night, chook raffle and a sign warning anyone with so much as a water pistol that they risked a public flogging. Just tell me what time it starts and I'll be there with bells on.

Aaah, special night indeed - one of the Thai karaoke joints out on Third Road seems to have decided tonight is the night to see what the warranty on their speakers is worth. 2am - I might just as well go out and have a beer as put up with this. Goodnight.

~6am and the sun is kissing the horizon in central Pattaya. I begrudgingly have to hand it to the freaks downstairs - whether its pills, alcohol or simply insanity, they havent cranked it back a notch all night. Seriously messed up people - my only regret is that I dont know where they live : it would be fantastic to get one of the trucks with the speakers on the back and park it outside their block at 10am with Priest pumping out this classic at 110dB.

I'm guessing the TVer who referred to me as a miserable old git got a good night's sleep last night - perhaps we can get the 'Priestmobile' around to his place around midnight tonight ;)

Insinuated? That may have been me. I personally slept like a baby. My advice is to have a couple of cans of cider around 2pm then go out and throw water aka daytime drinking on soi's 6,7 and 8 until sunset. They could hold the next Castlemorton (Google it) on third road and you wouldn't notice.