How a picture of a vagina posted on Facebook resulted a landmark legal ruling

thai tech

How a picture of a vagina posted on Facebook resulted a landmark legal ruling

facebook-logo1-702x336.jpg

A 149 year old painting of a vagina is at the centre of groundbreaking legal ruling in France regarding censorship on the social networking site Facebook.

Last week, the High Court in Paris has set a legal precedent by ruling that California based Facebook can be taken to court in France.

This followed the case of a French man whose Facebook account was suspended because he posted an image of a famous painting of a woman’s vagina.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/how-a-picture-of-a-vagina-posted-on-facebook-resulted-a-landmark-legal-ruling/6522/

He could easily have taken a selfie of himself,in front of the artwork, and it would be upto date legitimate, an old art work of great grandmothers honey trap, is updated with Likes on FB

If it wasn't for FB I wouldn't even know this art existed.

Hypocrites. That is a famous painting that's on clear public display in the Musée d’Orsay which is across the Seine River not far from the Louvre.

Are the French also going to take it down from the museum?

(BTW that is my favorite art museum anywhere. It differs from the Louvre in that it focuses on actual, original paintings and sculptures by the impressionist masters. Monet, Manet, Degas, Renoir, Van Gogh... When entering one is confronted by hundreds of paintings and sculptures that he has seen in books and other media and it is humbling.)

Hypocrites. That is a famous painting that's on clear public display in the Musée d’Orsay which is across the Seine River not far from the Louvre.

Sir,

Facebook blocked this frenchman's account for posting this piece of art ;

France now sues Facebook to defend the frenchman's right to post it.

France is the one fighting censorship here.

Either I misunderstood your post, either you misunderstood the article.

Edited by loloal
  • Like 1

Sir,

Facebook blocked this frenchman's account for posting this piece of art ;

France now sues Facebook to defend the frenchman's right to post it.

France is the one fighting censorship here.

Either I misunderstood your post, either you misunderstood the article.

You are right. I misunderstood, sorry.

FWIW, under US law, facebook is private and can make its own rules, just as TVF can do. There is no right to freedom of expression on someone else's property including a privately owned website. The owner can make his own rules including banning people from his property. The right extends only to one's own property and to public property.

So the interesting part is how French courts can claim jurisdiction over a US company.

Thanks for the heads up. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

There is a male version of L'origine du monde [The Origin of the World] - L'origine de la guerre [The Origin of War] a cibachrome done in 1989 by French artist Orlan. She is a wee bit odd to say the least.