Our Signatures.

TRIPxCORE

I am trying to update my signature. We are allowed 256 characters. I only had 154 I wanted to use and I keep getting an error message saying my sig is too long. <deleted>????? :o

First off, delete the URL in your signature and see if that helps (FYI, it is also against policy to allow URLs in signatures). If it continues PM a mod or admin with the signature you want and maybe one of us can do it for you. (admin is really best for this :D )

I am sure this was mentioned before, and it has something to do with your Thai in your signature. Try copying it and save it to notepad then delete it, and then try changing your signature, and see if this works, if it does then you will have to decide which one you want. :o

• 2 weeks later...
(FYI, it is also against policy to allow URLs in signatures).

Would I be correct in assuming this means that having an image in my signature is not possible?

I came into this area of the forum to pose that particular question but stumbled upon this thread and felt it appropriate to just ask here.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
I am trying to update my signature. We are allowed 256 characters. I only had 154 I wanted to use and I keep getting an error message saying my sig is too long. <deleted>????? :o

From the information on this thread so far, the statement that you are allowed '256 characters' is of doubtful veracity, though I can understand the shorthand. What it means is that you are allowed 256 bytes. A plain unaccented letter (a-z) will only take one byte.

What is not clear is what form of representation this limit applies to.

Suppose it applies to the text within the HTML data that is sent to browsers. As this forum's pages are encoded in Latin-1 (a.k.a. ISO-8859-1 a.k.a. Western European), most fancy or accented but common letters from West European languages (excluding Welsh) may also take one byte. The letter ko kai might be written in one of several ways, separating the characters by spaces to avoid misinterpretation:

• & # x e 0 1 ; (7 bytes)
  • & # x 0 e 0 1 ; (8 bytes)
  • & # 3 5 8 5 ; (7 bytes)

If the limit is on the size in an internal form, it may be on the data stored in the UTF-8 format. Then most European characters beyond the common English set (e.g. accented letters, Greek and Armenian), and also Hebrew and Arabic characters, will take two bytes, and characters of most other living writing systems (e.g Thai) will take 3 bytes. (Cuneiform, Linear B, Etruscan and Deseret take 4 bytes per character.)

Physical size has nothing to do with it - the Arabic 'sallallahu alayhe wasallam' meaning "May God's peace and blessings be upon him" will take as much storage space as a 'small dollar sign'.

May I ask why such a rule is employed?

It's a software setting set by Forum Admin.

Too many graphics would unnecessarily clutter the Forum and restrict bandwidth.

Fair enough. I can't say I disagree with the rule then.

Ahhh! If only we were all like this hey tots?

We`d put all you mods out of work! :o