Possible New Zealand Working Holiday Visa For Thai

Hi, A while back, probably in October 2003, I read an article from the Bangkok Post that Thailand and New Zealnd may sign an agreement about Working Holiday Visa for Thais national between the age of 20-30 years old. (Sorry, I can not find the link from that story) Anybody know anything about this at all? Thank You

Hasn't happened. From time to time, Dear Leaders government trots out the tale that it is working on all sorts of international whiz bang agreements, which never amounts to much.

Don't know too much about NZ, but around the same time, Thailand announced that Australia would consider WHV for Thais to go work in Australia, as part of the Thai-Australia (no so) Free Trade Agreement.

To be polite, Australia said they would seriously consider it, but my sources (and common sense) tell me that it will never be a possibility until Thai citizens can be classed as "safe" tourists. Then they can start thinking about WHV's.

As I recall, a couple of years ago, NZ began letting in Thai citizens visa free for tourist purposes, but my understanding is that privilege was taken away once it was clear that there were many Thai's were overstaying their visas in NZ....leading me to think that the WHV won't happen any time soon.

Hard to believe

Aus and NZ are really tough on thai visas especialy for females.

Amazing really when you see all the different nationalities driving taxis.

I think aus and nz unfairly single out thai and phillipines.

I would love to see the overstayer stats by nationality just soi could prove to myself that they are not being unfair.

Hard to believe

Aus and NZ are really tough on thai visas especialy for females.

Amazing really when you see all the different nationalities driving taxis.

I think aus and nz unfairly single out thai and phillipines.

I would love to see the overstayer stats by nationality just soi could prove to myself that they are not being unfair.

snoop the phillipino reputation goes back to the "mail order brides" days. Remember how many bad situations were created by that, it forced a change to the immigration laws.

Now that amanda slobstone is the minister responsible, you watch her stuff this portfolio up.

Hasn't happened. From time to time, Dear Leaders government trots out the tale that it is working on all sorts of international whiz bang agreements, which never amounts to much.

Don't know too much about NZ, but around the same time, Thailand announced that Australia would consider WHV for Thais to go work in Australia, as part of the Thai-Australia (no so) Free Trade Agreement.

To be polite, Australia said they would seriously consider it, but my sources (and common sense) tell me that it will never be a possibility until Thai citizens can be classed as "safe" tourists. Then they can start thinking about WHV's.

As I recall, a couple of years ago, NZ began letting in Thai citizens visa free for tourist purposes, but my understanding is that privilege was taken away once it was clear that there were many Thai's were overstaying their visas in NZ....leading me to think that the WHV won't happen any time soon.

It was a FM to FM proposal last year in N that was agreed to in principle. The problem was, and still is, the Thai work permit problems. Accordingly, nothing will happen in any bilateral sense. Too hard.

we were talking about overstayers in Oz and strike me pink an article in todays Advertiser ( Adelaide's local paper) about 5 thais being caught yesterday in Naracoorte, 1 for overstay and the other 4 for work permit breach. What a coincedence, you wouldn't read about it, would you, but I just did. :D:o

It was a FM to FM proposal last year in N that was agreed to in principle. The problem was, and still is, the Thai work permit problems. Accordingly, nothing will happen in any bilateral sense. Too hard.

In a general sense, this scenario is typical of many Thai government-sponsored schemes that are trotted out from time to time. Ministry X announces some big program that they are about to implement that is going to accomplish all sorts of wonderful things. Only problem is that doing so will require cooperation from Ministries Y and Z, neither of which want outsiders usurping power over their individual fiefdoms. Consequently, nothing ever advances.