US immigration BKK question about time after visa issued?

i know i can ask in visajourney.com but i guess some people on here will know, if not, i'll try there

we are planning to get a IR1/CR1 for my wife, applying next month when visiting BKK (we live in Phuket)

assuming it gets issued around July-August ish, that gives 6 months to go to US, so by about Jan.

thing is we want to go in April next year and i read if you ask at the time of application, they can extend that 6month use by date. has anyone does that? is the Bangkok office ok with that or do we need to wait to apply until mid year?

thx

You'll get a more reliable answer by emailing the US embassy consular service.

[email protected]

To make the question a little clearer, you might just ask if you apply for the IRI1/CRI1 and it is granted in April 2015 can it still be used in April 2016.

good idea, just sent email and got this back right away

Thank you for contacting American Citizen Services (ACS) at the U.S. Embassy Bangkok.

As our office does not handle visas, we have forwarded your email to the immigrant visa section ([email protected]) and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) office ([email protected]).

You may want to follow up with them directly.

Edited by stevehaigh

They are correct if you are filing in the states. But since you are filing in Bangkok you should wait til at least July. The completed process is taking about 2 to 5 months filing in Bangkok, depending on how active you are moving the paperwork forward. If you are looking for an April departure I would not file until July at the earliest. The NOA2 you receive when the notice is sent to the embassy is valid for 6 months, the medical is valid for 1 year to date of entry, and once the visa is approved it will be valid for 6 months or until the expiration of your medical, whichever is less. So even if they do extend your visa validity, you are going to run up against the medical. Give yourself breathing room and wait.

They are correct if you are filing in the states. But since you are filing in Bangkok you should wait til at least July. The completed process is taking about 2 to 5 months filing in Bangkok, depending on how active you are moving the paperwork forward. If you are looking for an April departure I would not file until July at the earliest. The NOA2 you receive when the notice is sent to the embassy is valid for 6 months, the medical is valid for 1 year to date of entry, and once the visa is approved it will be valid for 6 months or until the expiration of your medical, whichever is less. So even if they do extend your visa validity, you are going to run up against the medical. Give yourself breathing room and wait.

great info thanks, but it looks from what i just ready that starting on the I-130 now is no problem, since if it comes back quick, i can delay the interview for up to 6 months anyhow 'The NOA2 you receive when the notice is sent to the embassy is valid for 6 months'

and 1 year on the medical is no problem either since we are thinking 1 year from now, so far less than 1 year from when we need to get the medical done