Thai taxi driver returns 4.7 million yen to Japanese tourist

webfact

Taxi driver returns 4.7 million yen to Japanese tourist

BANGKOK: -- A 52-year-old taxi driver returned a suitcase containing 4.74 million yen in cash to a Japanese tourist at 10 am Tuesday.

Pratuan Muanroong contacted the FM91 station to contact the tourist, Watanabe Tesuro, 56, to retrieve the suitcase at the station.

He transported Tesuro from the Suvarnabhumi International Airport to Soi Thaniya in Silom at 1 am Monday and he forgot the bag.

The Japanese man gave 200,000 yen to the taxi driver as a reward.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Taxi-driver-returns-4-7-million-yen-to-Japanese-to-30255697.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-10

• Like 1

Good Samaritan cabbie rewarded for returning 1.3 million baht to a Japanese

3-10-2015-2-17-06-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Good Samaritan taxi driver who returned five million yen or 1.3 million baht in cash stuffed in a baggage that a Japanese businessman left in his car was rewarded 54,000 baht for his good deed by the Japanese.

The cabbie, Mr Prathuan Muangrung, said he picked up the Japanese, Mr Watanabe Tetsiro, from Suvarnabhumi international airport to be driven to Silom area.

He said the Japanese then asked to stop at a money exchange office and came back with the Thai baht to pay him the taxi fare and the left for shopping without picking up his baggage.

He said he waited for about 15 minutes and the Japanese still did not show up. But at the time a passenger showed up for a ride to the national stadium which he agreed.

After sending the passenger to the national stadium, the cabbie said he immediately headed back to Suvarnabhumi international airport to report about a forgotten baggage to Mr Sakon Thavornkarn and Ms Jaiton Wirwangpol, two executives of a radio station, so they could make an announcement for the owner to reclaim the baggage.

Mr Prathuan admitted that he was shocked after finding so much money in the baggage but he didn’t want to keep them because they did not belong to him.

Mr Watanabe who later reclaimed his baggage with the money said he felt grateful to the cabbie who returned the money to him. He said he carried the cash with him because he intended to use them for his dental care.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/good-samaritan-cabbie-rewarded-for-returning-1-3-million-baht-to-a-japanese

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-10

Somehow the taxi driver on the right doesn't look like the kind of guy that says "Meter broken" " Not go there lot tit" "Go Airport to Silom B2000"

I am sure khun Prathuan will find a good use for B54000. Good on him.

• Like 2

Wheres the stories about the three taxis I tried to get into yesterday who said they didnt want to go there........you know I thought that was now illegal.?...well its seems Mr general is doing bugger all to change the "greatest nation on earth" after all why would he as it is " the greatest nation on earth"...........u cant make it better can u?

No change except the face at the trough...............Oh i forgot we mustnt complain or criticise the new regime, I take it all back...I had a lovely taxi ride.especially the one who drove at about 140kmh round bends on the tollway from Dhao Kanong

Simple question, if this is true and I will assume it is, why was that amount of money being carried around? To me it would appear to be very suspicious to have such an amount in Yen in Thailand

Also I would wonder if he actually declared it as it was over $20k equivalent...................whistling.gif

4.7 million in cash, in a bag, from his departure hub to here and no one stopped him for carrying all that cash through customs at both ends? This is pretty fishy. I am pretty certain that there is a limit on the amount of cash that one can carry on the plane or even stow below. I may be wrong, so someone clarify this please.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nearly $40,000 in cash ! What was the guy doing bringing that into the country ?

It's almost always Americans who tend to ask this. This is Asia where cash reigns. Elsewhere on this thread someone also asked what the Thai authorities have done in relation to this cash. We Asians are not as paranoid as cash users in the U.S.

Across the Pacific there seems to be a consensus of opinion that when you have anything in excess of a bundle of greenbacks you are automatically regarded as someone with a criminal predisposition.

You dont generally carry it around with you in a case.

• Like 1

I am pretty certain that there is a limit on the amount of cash that one can carry on the plane or even stow below. I may be wrong, so someone clarify this please.

There is no limit to the amount of funds you can bring into Thailand but if it exceeds $20,000 USD then it has to be declared.

Foreign Currency

Travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the “Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations.

The Regulation and Notification require that travelers bringing foreign currency, both a bank note and a coin, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent, must report it to a Customs officer at a port/airport of entry or exit, using the given Foreign Currency Declaration Form. The travelers must complete, sign, and submit the Form to report their foreign currency where such currency are physically carried by a person arriving in or departing from Thailand, or where they form part of the person’s baggage and that person and his or her baggage are being carried on board the same conveyance across the border.

A person who reports currency has to answer truthfully any questions that a border services officer asks about the information required for the report.

Thai Customs

Time Traveller. That's a pretty condescending statement to a very legitimate question don't you think. How would you know anything about 500 baht bed bug rooms, unless you frequent them often yourself.

What's so legitimate about that question? You fail to see how intrusive it is! Despite having advanced payment processing systems Japan is a very cash-orientated society. Why is there a stubborn focus on the nature and source of the Japanese's funds? The article shares and celebrates a good deed.

Is it envy? Or resentment?