AirAsia X flight makes emergency landing in Australia

webfact

AirAsia X flight makes emergency landing in Australia

SYDNEY (AFP) - An AirAsia X flight made an emergency landing in Australia on Tuesday after the aircraft developed a problem with its map navigation display, regulators said.

The flight, listed on tracking websites as an Airbus A330, left Sydney en route to Kuala Lumpur but turned back and landed in the southern Australian city of Melbourne.

"They had some kind of problem with their map navigation display system in the cockpit," a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Safety Authority told AFP.

The long-haul, low-cost Malaysian airline confirmed the diversion but was unable to immediately say how many people were on board the flight.

"There was a technical difficulty," an airline spokesman said.

"The plane has now been rectified and has now been cleared for take-off."

Air Services Australia, which oversees the country’s air traffic control, said it understood that Flight XAX223 diverted to Melbourne rather than return to Sydney because the weather was better.

The Malaysian group suffered its first fatal incident in late December, when AirAsia Flight QZ8501 crashed in stormy weather with 162 people on board off Indonesia.

That followed two Malaysia Airlines incidents last year which left more than 500 people dead, raising concerns among some travellers about the safety of the country’s carriers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/AirAsia-X-flight-makes-emergency-landing-in-Austra-30255704.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-10

Strange that he landed in Melbourne as Melbourne is way south to Sydney and KL is

to the north of Australia, he had problems with his navigational maps I say....

No they had problems with the weather.

Strange that he landed in Melbourne as Melbourne is way south to Sydney and KL is

He was obviously flying on the southward leg towards KL. 55555.

Bit of a worry because just south of Melbourne is Hobart and South of there are real lonely sky's. ;)

It stated diverted to Melbourne rather than Sydney because weather was better. The Aussie controllers know what to do best, they had a reason so follow their instructions.

This is not a good look by any means, there is a move within some Oz aviation circles to have AirAsia X banned. coffee1.gif

So much rubbish but this takes the cake. Im not in the industry but where did this tripe come from?

Put up or shut up.

This is not a good look by any means, there is a move within some Oz aviation circles to have AirAsia X banned. coffee1.gif

Plane are machines and have problems, a technician can't always predict a failure of a part. seems to me they handled the problem in a professional manner. unlike some of our posters.

By the way, I have 30 years in aviation maintenance. And you?

• Like 1

Took off from Sydney about midday.... had an issue, flying north west, not North, that way lays Japan.... towards KL, and decided to head for Melbourne, because the weather was better in Melbourne. I am not seeing an issue at all with that. I am guessing that the operations at SYD, regarding per hour movement restrictions, slots and gate availability may, have indeed, played a role in the decision to head for MEL, where most of those things don't come into play....

The flight left Melbourne at 17:30 after repairs and headed on it's way to KL.... What is the the issue? haven't any of you guys ever been diverted before?

This may surprise some, but using the travel maths site, it says the distance is 6,662 km from SYD to KUL. MEL to KUL is 6,325 km. 337 k's difference or about 25 minutes flying time... But, I already knew it was quicker (marginally) to fly from MEL to SE Asia than it is from Sydney.

I have flown AA many times, only for cost considerations usually, and they *generally* do what they say they will... I am not a huge fan, however, and if money is not the driving factor will fly with others...