UK Visa for long term Thai GF visiting my UK family (VAF1B)?

Standard UK visit visa is still valid for 6 months and multi entry; at least that's what my sister in law was given on 27th Feb.

However, immigration on arrival in the UK will have access to the online form and may ask the visitor how long they intend to stay, and if their answer doesn't match what was in the application, expect more questioning!

My friend and his Thai wife are coming to the UK on the 21st March for 3 weeks and she has been given a 6 month visa. He enquired if they could stay longer than the original 3 weeks and was told she can stay as long as the visa is valid.

Of course she can stay longer, but the next time she applies she will have to explain why she did so.

In addition, having said in her application that she would only be staying for three weeks, if she then told immigration on her arrival in the UK that she would be staying much longer, especially the full 6 months, they could view this as a significant change in her circumstances since the visa was issued and refuse her entry to the UK; putting her on the next plane back to Thailand!

Especially if, in the original application, she said she had a specific reason why she could only stay for three weeks, such as a job to return to!

Immigration Officers can call up the application on their screens. If questioned by them at the desk the answers should match those given in the application. If they don't; expect more questioning in a side room and even refusal of entry.

Of course, people's circumstances do change. If, once in the UK, a visitor decides to stay longer than originally intended then they are not breaking any law or the conditions of their visa; provided they leave on or before the date it expires, of course.

However, as Upnotover says, so doing may damage their credibility in their next application unless they explain why they did so, and how they were able to.; especially if they said they had to return by a specific date for a specific reason; such as a job.

Heya all, OP here,

Thanks for all the replies and messages, it is all good information and really it looks like the issue is just with the response from the ECO in the end, or whoever the person is who decides whether the VISA should pass or not.

I have just a couple more questions also:

- What are the fees and charges for applying for the VISA? There must be a cost for purchasing it but I haven't seen one yet, can someone kindly list out what costs are involved for me so I can start planning that also? VISA cost, possible cost when doing the hard copy hand in? Then what costs I will lose say, if the VISA is refused or even accepted etc etc. When to pay, where and how I should pay would be really helpful also. Thank you all very much.

-edit 1:

- Missed another advice question, the supporting document/sponsor invitation letter from my Father? Can I get some advice on how that should be written, also should it be email/typed then printed out or hand written even?

- What documents does my Father need to send, bank account statements from how many months? Copies of his passport, other IDs etc? Would really help if someone could give exact advice. Thank you again, everyone gives so much good information here.

Edited by Saltwater

You pay the fee online, in US Dollars - don't ask, as part of the online application process, there are no further fees unless the applicant wants, and qualifies for, the application to be fast tracked. .

The fees are currently, but go up next month:

Short-term (up to 6 months, single or multiple entry) $129

Longer-term (valid for up to 2 years) $468

Longer-term (valid for up to 5 years) $849

Longer-term (valid for up to 10 years) $1150

The application process is detailed here http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/

The above fees are for processing the application; not a fee for the visa. No part will be refunded if the application is refused.

You pay the fee online when submitting the online application.

VFS also offer user pay services, some of which your partner may not qualify for.

- Missed another advice question, the supporting document/sponsor invitation letter from my Father? Can I get some advice on how that should be written, also should it be email/typed then printed out or hand written even?
- What documents does my Father need to send, bank account statements from how many months? Copies of his passport, other IDs etc? Would really help if someone could give exact advice. Thank you again, everyone gives so much good information here.

In his letter your father simply invites you and your girlfriend to stay with him, describing his property and who else lives there to show that there is room for you both.

He also confirms, if he is doing so, that he is contributing towards the costs of this visit.

Email, typed, handwritten? Up to him; but in my opinion a neatly typed letter is going to be easier for the ECO to read than a handwritten one.

You will find an example of a sponsor's letter in the pinned topic linked to previously.

That letter is written by a sponsor who is providing accommodation and finance, not a third party; but you can easily extract the relevant bits for your father's letter.

If possible, I'd advise that he supply evidence of his ability to offer you accommodation; i.e. evidence of ownership such as a mortgage statement if he owns or a letter of consent from his landlord if he rents; but this is not essential.

If contributing to the costs of the visit then he should supply evidence of his ability to do this; e.g. at least the last three months bank statements, preferably six (originals, not copies).

He does not need to supply a copy of his passport or other ID.

Edited by 7by7

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all previous advice! It has all helped me prepare, I am just now having my father send all the required documents, and we also will make the payment and appointment online towards the end of the month I think!

I have had an urgency come up! We have to make the trip to the UK before the 27th of July, as my Passport will expire so need to renew it, my Visa will also end on the 27th (only just realised.) Now I just would like advice or experiences from people who have successfully obtained a Visa for their Thai girlfriend or other half for the UK, what is the turn-around time? If we apply at the end of this month May, how long would it take to get the interview/appointment to hand in documents, and how long until a Visa (if successful) would be issued, if we stated we wanted to travel before 27th July?

I guess there isn't a solid answer, so just asking for estimates or experiences! Thanks all!

Past, even current, performance is no guarantee of future performance.

She should be able to get an appointment with VFS to hand in documents and have biometrics taken within a few days; week at most.

The latest figures (April 2015) show that 99% of general visit visa applications were processed within 10 working days.

However, processing times depend greatly upon demand; the more applications to process, the longer the processing queue so the longer each application will take to reach the head of that queue and be processed.

Late May, early June is when it starts to get busy as student visa applications for the new academic year starting in September begin to be submitted.

• Like 1

@7by7

Thank you, that was very helpful information! I guess I can just go through the application process with her then asap, as if there are even reports of a 10 working day turn around, it looks like a better chance to be in time, even if depending.

Thanks for the heads up on processing time around end May and beginning June tip, I guess a risk to keep in mind. Though very informative.

Past, even current, performance is no guarantee of future performance.

She should be able to get an appointment with VFS to hand in documents and have biometrics taken within a few days; week at most.

The latest figures (April 2015) show that 99% of general visit visa applications were processed within 10 working days.

However, processing times depend greatly upon demand; the more applications to process, the longer the processing queue so the longer each application will take to reach the head of that queue and be processed.

Late May, early June is when it starts to get busy as student visa applications for the new academic year starting in September begin to be submitted.

My father is preparing the documents, and we will sign up to look at applying soon now online - when applying online, do we already need scanned file copies of my fathers documents? That is just on the appointment after correct? Also a couple more quick fire questions and concerns:

• My girlfriend has had a steady average income, bank statements will show, but usually ends up using it all each month. So essentially no savings, are there recent reports showing any sign of this being a big detriment? (This is one of my gfs main concerns.) My fathers letter says he will cover the airfare and all costs while staying in the UK.

• She can have a company write a letter for a job offer when she returns to Thailand (she will leave her current job to go to the UK), but can inheritance be valid support for reason to return?

Basically her late father had property land, but no 'Will' before he passed away. She says, her grandad, mother and herself legally get the land split 3 ways. She has the documents to prove also, so technically, she has that to return to, as she is entitled to the land.

• My fathers documents, all need to be signed? So including bank statements, typed English sponsor/invitation letter, printed out, signed and scanned to send to me to print here

Thanks all so much, 7by7 too, probably have more questions, but see how you guys can help answer these first.

1) You do not scan and submit any supporting documents with the online application. They are submitted at the appointment with VFS together with the signed hard copy of the application; biometrics will also be taken at this appointment. See post #26 above.

2) Your girlfriend does not need any savings, or even income.

The trip can be funded by the applicant (your girlfriend), the sponsor (you), a third party (your father) or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing toward the funding for the trip should provide evidence of their ability to do so.

3) A confirmed offer of employment on her return may help; it certainly wont hurt. I suggest the signatory explains why they are willing to defer her starting the job until after her return from the UK; especially if she intends a long visit.

4) Inheritance? I'm not sure until she has a legal document (chanote?) to show she actually owns the land. But, again, it wont hurt to mention it and include what documentation she has.

5) Obviously, your father should sign his letter offering funding for the visit and accommodation.

Officially, supporting documents should be originals, or if printouts or copies certified as correct by the issuer, e.g. your father's bank. See Visitor: supporting documents guide.

However, anecdotal evidence here suggests that uncertified print outs and copies have been accepted in the past. Up to you.

@7by7

Thank you again for these answers, very helpful indeed, confirmed a lot for me. My girlfriend would also like to know, what is the 'official word' on applications that are rejected, in terms of difficulty applying again and;

1. Does rejection cause "Gray-listed" status? Have to appeal and/or wait XX day/weeks until you can apply again?

2. Does rejection for a UK Visa affect any terms of applying for other Visas in the world or Europe for a Thai?

I am making up some terms to help explain what I mean. Thank you, will wait on the replies.

1) A refusal does not mean the person cannot apply again; neither is there a minimum time before they can do so. They could re apply immediately if they wished.

Also, a refusal should not effect any future applications in any way. Except, of course, that the reasons for the refusal will have to be adequately dealt with in any subsequent application for the same visa category or that application will be refused as well.

Unless the refusal was on the grounds of attempted fraud or deception. In which case the applicant could be banned from applying again for up to 10 years; even for life if the offence was very serious. Not that that would apply to you or your girlfriend, I'm sure.

The right of appeal has been removed for all visitor categories. For settlement refusals one can still appeal, but at the same time submit a new application as well. Then withdraw one or the other depending on which result comes first. You wont get any refund of fees paid, though.

2) Shouldn't do; unless the refusal was due to attempted fraud or deception.

Of course, the result of any visa application to any country depends on whether or not the applicant meets that country's requirements for the type of visa applied for.

Cheers, 7by7, that is quite reassuring information.

Would you know if the VIP premium lounge service is worth it? Or anyone else's experience of using it? Not because of the 'snacks' and 'comfort' but everything else?
http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/user_pay_services.html#3

3,000 BAHT.

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry searched myself on here too, lazy me, found some results, I will read through them also.

Edited by Saltwater

No experience of it, I'm afraid.

My sister in law didn't use it when she went in February, and was in and out in about 30 minutes.

It seems a waste of 3000 baht to me; but that's my personal opinion..

Totally agree with 7by7. The Thai applicant goes in more or less straight away and they are busy the whole time doing the paperwork and biometrics. If you go with her you have to hang around but its not for long and certainly doesn't warrant spending 3000 bhat.

Thanks bigyin and 7by7. My research on existing topics also concluded it, but nice to have a current year 2015 opinion also thanks. I will likely not pay for it.

My father is writing his supporting letter and gathering documents to send, he has also included in the letter my relationship with my girlfriend in brief details, as technically I am the reason she wants to visit too. Although my father is the sponsor, should my girlfriend & myself, also provide the extra supporting documents to show our relationship is genuine, a more detailed story, previous rental agreements with both our names on (I have read on here that pictures of us together and emails/texts evidence is overboard? Though some people have provided that and thought it to help)?

Cheers.

Thanks bigyin and 7by7. My research on existing topics also concluded it, but nice to have a current year 2015 opinion also thanks. I will likely not pay for it.

My father is writing his supporting letter and gathering documents to send, he has also included in the letter my relationship with my girlfriend in brief details, as technically I am the reason she wants to visit too. Although my father is the sponsor, should my girlfriend & myself, also provide the extra supporting documents to show our relationship is genuine, a more detailed story, previous rental agreements with both our names on (I have read on here that pictures of us together and emails/texts evidence is overboard? Though some people have provided that and thought it to help)?

Cheers.

Also my Dad had some questions about sending his supporting documents, like bank statements, can they be photocopies?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423699/2015_04_20_Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_Final__2__-_CLEAN.pdf

All documents must be originals and not photocopies. Submission of these documents does not guarantee that your application will be successful and you should bear this in mind when making any bookings.

If not, will he have to send just the balance statement page, or actually the full 7-8 pages showing transactions for the month, of 3 months? Sounds excessive if so.

They are very clear in the instruction when they say you must submit original statements, not copies as they can be altered.

You should of course also include copies if you want the originals returned.

I personally would send the statements showing the transactions, that indicates the use of the account and would show that a lump sum wasn't paid in the previous day.

Some people have got away with copies or online printouts, but it's not something I would personally risk.

They are very clear in the instruction when they say you must submit original statements, not copies as they can be altered.

You should of course also include copies if you want the originals returned.

I personally would send the statements showing the transactions, that indicates the use of the account and would show that a lump sum wasn't paid in the previous day.

Some people have got away with copies or online printouts, but it's not something I would personally risk.

Right I see, yes you make a valid point, original payslips from my father would show a progressive income as proof as well correct? My father is reluctant to show all transactions, but if you believe and it does indeed state the they want originals, then I guess we need to. No risks.

Although my father is the sponsor, should my girlfriend & myself, also provide the extra supporting documents to show our relationship is genuine, a more detailed story, previous rental agreements with both our names on (I have read on here that pictures of us together and emails/texts evidence is overboard? Though some people have provided that and thought it to help)?

With regards to the introduction letter my girlfriend needs to write, as she is travelling with me, and I am the reason for travel, even though my Dad is the sponsor and has written his invitation letter, does my girlfriend still need to prove our relationship as usual as if I was the sponsor too? We have had friends write introduction letters for applying for a German Visa and had to include these details and evidence along.

Saltwater, you are making a common mistake.

Your dad is not the sponsor; you are!

Sponsor in a visa application is not the person providing the finance for the trip. The best way I can put it is to say it is the person vouching for the applicant, the reason for the applicant visiting the UK, if you will. (See definition 2 here.) That's you.

Of course, in many cases the person paying for the trip is also the sponsor. Also, many applicants don't have a sponsor at all.

Your girlfriend does not need to write any letter.

You write a sponsor's letter in which you should:

• give a brief history of your relationship and what, if any, plans you may have for the future;
  • say why she is visiting the UK at this time;
  • expand, if necessary, on answers given on the application form;
  • give any further information you may feel is relevant, but keep it brief.
  • list the supporting documents submitted.

Your dad's letter should be to offer finance and accommodation for the trip with a brief explanation of why he is doing so. He should also include a brief description of his house and say who else lives there to show there is at least one room for the exclusive use of your girlfriend during her stay; although sharing with either you or a female is acceptable.

Edited by 7by7

@7by7

I seee, wow, yeah that was a mistake I was making, I was thinking the sponsor indeed was the person financing the trip, where actually it is me inviting her to England with me and my father is just the body financing for expenses and providing accommodation.

So right, thanks for the bullet points on this, I will write my sponsor letter then, and detail that my father will be supporting financially and the accommodation, and have my father write a signed letter supporting that.

One thing also then, would really like to know. We only have a period of between 16th and 23rd June to go to Bangkok for her appointment to hand in hard copies, like maybe 2 days 17-18th, is there anyway to check if they have availability for these days before making the 4.5k THB visa payment? I don't want to end up paying, and realising they don't have a spot for the days/dates we can attend? So just checking availability, not actually booking an appointment (as we haven't applied/paid yet). Thanks guys!

EDIT: eg. Is it requested by email? If so, could I send a request to check dates? Instead of booking? Thanks.

Edited by Saltwater

As far as I am aware you cannot get to the booking page until after you have submitted the application and paid. The time slots shown are not per person and for each time slot they let quite a few people in so I don't think there will be any problem about getting a time over a whole 2 day period especially if you are not too bothered about the actual time of day but you won't know until you are well into the process. Both times I have done this I got the day and time I wanted without any problem at all. Your dates are well ahead so should be fine. There is no facility to e mail them. They make the whole application process as impersonal as possible. I can understand why to a certain extent as they would be deluged with questions such as posed on this forum but it does make it hard the first time to get things right.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all previous advice! It has all helped me prepare, I am just now having my father send all the required documents, and we also will make the payment and appointment online towards the end of the month I think!

I have had an urgency come up! We have to make the trip to the UK before the 27th of July, as my Passport will expire so need to renew it, my Visa will also end on the 27th (only just realised.) Now I just would like advice or experiences from people who have successfully obtained a Visa for their Thai girlfriend or other half for the UK, what is the turn-around time? If we apply at the end of this month May, how long would it take to get the interview/appointment to hand in documents, and how long until a Visa (if successful) would be issued, if we stated we wanted to travel before 27th July?

I guess there isn't a solid answer, so just asking for estimates or experiences! Thanks all!

My wife and both her parents applied in March this year for visit visas. All three were approved in three days.

Cheers, 7by7, that is quite reassuring information.

Would you know if the VIP premium lounge service is worth it? Or anyone else's experience of using it? Not because of the 'snacks' and 'comfort' but everything else?

http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/user_pay_services.html#3

3,000 BAHT.

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry searched myself on here too, lazy me, found some results, I will read through them also.

It's not worth it. You have an appointment, and it doesn't take very long at all. If you want to wait in comfort while she completes the process then spend the same money on a hotel.

@blackcab Thanks for these bits of information and tips, that is great if the process is not as complicated as I thought it could be (im getting used to just 'immigration' times and queues these days! ha)

My father is asking, if we use original documents, do you get them back after you get your visa result? Or on the day of appointment, can you take originals and photocopies, and just give them the photocopies after they check the originals and photocopies are the same? Which would be best if both ways are fine? My Dad would like the original mortgage statement and banks statements back after they are done with them. Thanks.

reading through the posts, it seems very hit and miss, some gets visas ok, some dont, some say you need to show money, some dont.there is just no uniformity, typical jump through hoops syndrome. it would have probably cost me over 3 thousand quid , with flights, hire car, expenses, decided to have some decent holidays with the money i saved by not bothering.

You should submit original documents together with copies of those you need returning, the originals will returned when the passport is returned.

I always stick a post it note on the original documents.

Okay that sounds great theoldgit! 7by7 also mentioned "give a brief history of your relationship" as I am the sponsor, some people recommended providing proof of relationship as documents... photos from the relationship, or even emails between!? It's been 3 years we have been together, a lot of photos haha, what is seen to help support the written story? and what is actually too much? Thanks.

EDIT: The written story being subjective right? No matter how legit/true.

Edited by Saltwater

Yes 7by7 is spot on, as usual, when he talks about a brief history of your relationship, it's worth bearing in mind that the ECO has a very short time to make a decision and you need to make that decision making process as easy as possible.

My girlfriend and I have travelled extensively throughout the region and the UK and mainland Europe and she submits indicative photos of us together on each of our trips, we print these on a sheet of paper, probably eight or ten to a sheet.

We live together so don't email but provide a copy of her joint lease, if you don't live together then evidence of her life in Thailand should suffice.

Email and phone logs are helpful, ideally in both directions.

Provide a short covering letter outlining the details of the proposed trip, her life in Thailand and your plans for the future of course adding a para about the trip will be funded. Bearing in mind the time constraints the ECO is working to, make it short and snappy, I never exceed both sides of an A4 sheet, your girlfriend should also submit a covering letter, obviously mirroring yours.

Always be truthful when writing supporting letters.

Sound advice from theoldgit and 7by7 as usual. When you put your evidence together try to put yourself in the position of the ECO who is concerned with 3 things really.....is it a real and subsisting relationship, is the trip affordable so that there will be no recourse to public funds and will the applicant return to Thailand at the end of the trip. Keep analysing your evidence and ask yourself whether you would be convinced by that evidence. If in doubt add a bit more but as theoldgit says remember the ECO is human not a machine. I personally have never supplied a letter from my girlfriend now wife and never had any problem but it certainly cannot do any harm. I know 7by7 is not a big fan of a lot of photos but I have always supplied a few sheets with around 10 photos per sheet. Everyone presents their evidence slightly differently but all successful applications adequately cover the 3 points I mentioned above.