UK Visa for long term Thai GF visiting my UK family (VAF1B)?

Based upon what was said in that two year old topic on the other board; the person in question's circumstances were completely different to your girlfriend's. (BTW, the question numbers are different as he would have filled in the old paper form; the online form is laid out differently and some of the questions rephrased.)

From what you have said here and told me via PM I can't see anything wrong in what you have put in your application nor any reason to change anything.

If you want to amend her or your letter before submitting to clarify this point, do so. This is what I put in my sponsor's letter for my sister in law's visit application in Feb:

Cost and funding of visit.

Over the years X has managed to save about 70,000 baht in the bank, and will be using some of this money for her airfare.

As she will not be purchasing her ticket until her visa is issued; the figure on the form of 45,000 baht for her fare is an estimate based upon a quote from Etihad.

(My wife) and I will provide accommodation and food free of charge. Therefore I anticipate that her expenditure whilst in the UK will be minimal.

Thanks 7by7, really appreciated the quick response, tog also.

So, we have now submitted our documents at our appointment at the Trendy office.

I want to ask you all though, what you think about some things that happened when my girlfriend applied and her experience?

She came out a bit heated and said that the vfs global employee she had was rushed and cold, I had paper clipped most (stapled a few) our documents together and they took most of the clips off, and mixed a lot of the documents together. They told her that she had submitted too many documents, (this may have been because of my photocopies? I just photocopied original documents I needed back, condo contracts, father bank stuff, book banks). The employee also... mocked her about it, like "careful don't drop them all", so that's 'professional'. "Too many photos" (maybe this was too many, but 4 pages of 25 photos date/title start of relationship to now, and I added 5 A4 8 small pictures per side of other pics - worried 25 wasn't enough, ECO can skip through?). They gave back my fathers original 6 bank statements, mortgage statements and payslips, our original condo lease and her book banks but kept all the photocopies for these.
"Too many documents"... how important is their opinion on 'what is needed'. We provided documents to prove each 'statement' our letters made, people get refused for simple missing 6 month statements, not enough relationship evidence even though they submit 30+ photos etc... so I submitted these of course. 'some' phone bills showing calls - 3 double sided pages, 'some' facebook messages- 2 pages, 'a couple' of utility bills - 3-4 documents (our lease started in April 2015 only, so wanted to show we live there for real.) Extra papers like proving my ed-visa here for 3 years by submitting photocopies of 'just' my visa passport pages, so I 'did' try to keep a minimum on most things, but should I take their criticism to mind? The person next to her said "do I need to submit this(other support documents)" and they said "submit anything you think you need to provide as evidence", confusing.
Last thing is, she said they really messed up our documents, I added a couple of post-it-notes to help the ECO know what something is immediately relative to our letters, but my gf said they took all clips out and mixed some documents together! 'Messy' she said and was upset about that. Should we be concerned?
As always really appreciate the replies when you can and I hope this topic will help others in their applications in the future.
Edited by Saltwater

There have been stories like this before in other threads although we have never had a problem with them. They should certainly not have mixed up the documents nor taken some out nor returned originals. Basically what is presented is your GF's application and supporting evidence as you see it and it should be forwarded as is to the Embassy. Their job is to ensure that there is/are no obvious omissions which could be sorted out there and then and do the biometrics. There is no way of knowing whether this will cause a problem and of course after the event there will be no way of proving that you ever submitted the documents in the first place. Fingers crossed and good luck.

• Like 1

There have been stories like this before in other threads although we have never had a problem with them. They should certainly not have mixed up the documents nor taken some out nor returned originals. Basically what is presented is your GF's application and supporting evidence as you see it and it should be forwarded as is to the Embassy. Their job is to ensure that there is/are no obvious omissions which could be sorted out there and then and do the biometrics. There is no way of knowing whether this will cause a problem and of course after the event there will be no way of proving that you ever submitted the documents in the first place. Fingers crossed and good luck.

Thanks both.

Yeh almost taking things into their own hands, because well, my girlfriend knew as much as she could going in, but they really do force decisions on the girls that have gone in and met this sort of thing happen to them too, I did indeed search and read some of those threads, and really disheartening you cant do much about it. Disappointed sure, but we don't really have a choice but to accept what happened, complaining... never seen anyone get anywhere with it. *sigh*, the payment online is for processing and not the visa, we are paying for a service!

Last question while waiting, we bought the 250THB courier service, though will we know our decision in an email first? Or when the passport arrives with the documents? Or... is passport pick up only? Ha. I wasn't sure about this.

Last question while waiting, we bought the 250THB courier service, though will we know our decision in an email first? Or when the passport arrives with the documents? Or... is passport pick up only? Ha. I wasn't sure about this.

The email will only advise that a decision has been made, you wont know the decision until you open the envelope.

Good luck

I would complain about the way the papers were handled. If you have made an effort to present the application in an orderly fashion the staff at VFS should not be mixing them up!

4 pages of photos is not a problem. The ECO can study them as closely or casually as he or she chooses.

This has happened before and my advice remains as it was then, number all of the pages in the bundle and make it clear to the ECO that the pages are numbered correctly. Do this last to make sure the numbering is correct.

My wife is adamant that jealousy is rife within VFS and immigration/passport control!

• Like 1

Once the decision is made you/she should receive two emails.

The first email usually says

YOUR UK VISA APPLICATION DECISION IS READY FOR COLLECTION : please read below

UK Visas and Immigration has made a decision on your visa application and this email explains how your documents will be returned to you.

• THAILAND APPLICANTS: your passport/documents will be ready for collection from the Bangkok visa application centre on the 2nd working day after you receive this email. Collection times are Monday-Friday 10.00 - 16.00 and Saturday 08.30 - 12.00.

As you can see, despite the capitalised heading, it wont actually be ready for collection for another two working days!

You should then receive a second email saying

The processed visa application for GWF reference number xxxxxxxxxxx was received at the UK Visa Application Centre on (date) .

If a courier service was purchased from VFS Global, your processed application will be delivered to the chosen address.

If not, your documents can be collected during the designated passport collection times.

Despite living in Bangkok, my sister in law chose the courier service, and it was another 5 days before it was delivered!

I would complain about the way the papers were handled.

Indeed, and do it now so that it is at least on record; don't wait until after the decision.

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to contact the Bangkok, or any other, Entry Clearance Section directly, nor VFS; you have to complain via UKVI.

Complaints procedure

VFS staff have no business in acting this way, and definitely should not be removing documents. If enough people complain, something may be done; but if no one complains, nothing will be done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Ok so email arrived with "YOUR UK VISA APPLICATION DECISION IS READY FOR COLLECTION" though we paid for the courier service for everything to be delivered to us, and not for us to pick up. So "ALL APPLICANTS: if you paid an additional courier or postage fee, documents will be sent to you." I assume this means the passport will arrive in the same package delivered back to us here in Chiang Mai? Thanks.

Oh yeh, and nervous! Actually the British Embassy did call us 2 days ago, they called me first but they wanted to speak to my girlfriend. who was at work, so they called back the next day (her day off luckily), during the call they asked a lot of questions, tests I guess? Like, where will she be going, name of town/city, doing what, does she know/can spell my surname (its long), when she saw me last (strange question, we live together, as written in both letters haha)... etc. They also asked a lot about her work when she gets back (she is leaving her current job anyway, to start a new one in August, we supplied employment offer letter signed, but she is just leaving a month earlier to do this trip) but still they asked a lot, concerned I guess. The HR at the new company/job place also notified us that the Embassy had gotten in touch to check also. What do you guys make of it, a positive they called and checked so much?

Thanks.

I see the phone calls as positives.

It seems to me that the ECO had some areas of doubt which needed clarification; instead of making those calls s/he could have just refused.

If the phone calls settled those doubts, then she should have been successful.

But you wont know until she receives her passport back.

Okay everyone!!! We got it! After the embassy call it took 2 days for the email to say they had made a decision and then it arrived today by post in Chiang Mai! We opened the sealed package and the passport was inside, open! on the Visa page for us! So no nervous passport opening there haha.

I just want to say that was a nervous first time, and even though we thought a couple of things might have tripped us up, I guess we were worried about nothing, so thank you all for your quick and helpful replies in the moment, and just awesome, really appreciate it.

She got the C-visit Visa for 6 months, from the the day we received the email decision, 180 days, though we are only going for 3-4weeks. So happy, thank you all. Credit to all.

• Like 2

Hey All,

A few aftermath questions then, just to help the journey go as smooth as.

When arriving in the UK (London) and passing through immigration, I can actually go in the same non-uk national queue as my GF correct? As I will also bring all documents used for the Visa Application with me and ready for any questions or something they want to see.

Second is as my gf is travelling as a Thai to UK, is it really needed for her to purchase any insurances at all? Thanks.

You can go in the non-EU/UK queue or she can go with you in the EU/UK, go for whichever is the shortest. We have never taken any of the papers with us, or she alone, but not a bad idea I guess. She is not entitled to NHS so up to you if you want to buy insurance. I wouldn't want to come here without any mind you.

There is actually no right to go through the EU line, she isn't an EU National, most Border Force Officers will allow it, it's easier for them if you're together, we do what Upnotover says, and go through the shortest, we've never had an issue.

Also as he says, your girlfriend isn't entitled to free NHS, apart from any initial emergency treatment, if you're no longer a UK resident, neither are you.

It would be very unwise travelling without cover. Thai insurance companies tend to insist that you meet medical bills in the first instance, and then claim on return. There are a couple of decent UK based companies that cover Thai residents, Columbus Direct, http://international.columbusdirect.com/travel-insurance/single-trip-travel-insurance?countryOfResidence=THA and http://www.worldnomads.com/ both companies allow you to purchase online and, more importantly settle any medical bills directly, I'm sure there are others. My partner has an annual policy with Columbus Direct.

The UKVI do advise taking documents, but we've never been asked for sight of them, though occasionally she's been asked for her return flight tickets.

<snip>

She is not entitled to NHS .........

Not strictly the case.

The rules are slightly different depending on which part of the UK you are in, but basically she would be entitled to free emergency treatment in an A&E department, walk in centre or similar, but any follow up treatment, for example if she were admitted to hospital as an in patient or referred to an outpatients clinic, is chargeable; as is most non emergency treatment or minor injury treatment.

There are other exceptions, too, such as compulsory psychiatric treatment; see NHS charges and people from abroad.

If she does receive chargeable treatment and doesn't pay the bill, then any future UK visa application by her will be refused until she has paid it.

As you are not a UK resident you may also not be entitled to free NHS treatment, apart from the exceptions above.

Insurance is not compulsory for visitors to the UK, but my advice is the same as Upnotover's; get insurance for you both.

Hi All,

Ok I think it best for us just to go in the queue together and I will take most of the documents I think they may ask for, just incase.

I think we will look into getting her the insurance then, just to be safe. Also, when did I become a UK non-resident? Technically I am still since my UK residence address is with my parents, as on my passport, driving licence etc - the address where we would be staying actually. Or does being away for more than 3 years invalidate that?

Thanks.

Technically yes you are not entitled to most National Health Services as you are no longer normally living in the UK. But, having said that, if you are still registered with a GP at your parent's address it would be very unlikely that anyone would question you about this. Personally I have never taken out health insurance for myself when returning to the UK or even considered doing so, but that is just my choice. In actual fact when my wife and step daughter visited last year I didn't even do it for them but I agree 100% with the previous posts that it would be sensible to cover your GF.

Second is as my gf is travelling as a Thai to UK, is it really needed for her to purchase any insurances at all? Thanks.

I would rephrase the question if it were my girlfriend visiting the UK on a visit visa. If my girlfriend were to be involved in a bad accident would I want her to be treated privately for a small outlay with a repatriation service if required? Yes.

Bupa International is worth a look.

I travel insure my wife and I on an annual rolling basis with Bupa from this end in the UK. Never had to claim but it's a comprehensive policy with coverage from cancelled flights, lost luggage, electronics, credit cards and cash to a motorcycle accident.

Think about it carefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I am just in the process of submitting my girlfriends online UK Visa application. I have asked for the family visa, as we're going back to visit members of my family. We have a 2 and a half year old son, who will also travel back with us, though he already has a UK passport. My mum is funding the cost of my girlfriends travel and living expenses for 6 months and I have all supporting letters and documents.

Now I'm trying to complete the online form and have become stuck in the family details section. I have entered my details as spouse/partner, I'm assuming that's correct. I guess under the dependent children section then I should list my girlfriends daughter's details (from her previous relationship) and then our sons details? Is my girlfriend then also required to complete the details for her parents (mother and father section)? I'm assuming 'yes' again.

We would also like to visit my parents house in France, what would be the easiest way for my girlfriend to then obtain a French or Schengen visa? How long would the process take? Or can it be done once we arrive in the UK or best to do it before we leave Thailand?

Any advice would be most welcome.

All the questions on the form must be answered completely, so yes, all her family details, children and parents, should be entered in the relevant places.

As she is your girlfriend, not wife, then she is not a qualifying family member under the EEA freedom of movement regulations.

Therefore she needs to apply for her Schengen visa in her country of residence; Thailand.

Unless she satisfies the French definition of an unmarried partner (sorry, I don't know what that is) and can prove it. In which case she can apply in the UK whilst there as a visitor, provided she will be travelling with or to join you.

See the Schengen visa FAQ pinned topic.

Edited by 7by7

Thanks for the response 7by7. To be honest, im no further forward about the Schengen or French visa, we were only visiting as my parents live there for half of the year. Seems a big headache getting another visa after going through the one for the UK. Has anyone else on the forum had experience of obtaining a UK visa with your g/f, and then deciding to visit another EU country (France in may case), without a visa? We will also be travelling with our son (UK passport). Reading into the Schengen topic, the rules seem very contentious, but my gut feeling is to apply for a visa beforehand. Or just leave my g/f in the UK, and ill visit my parents in France, alone with my son. That probably wouldnt go down well actually lol.

Anyway my girlfriend has an appointment at VFS on Wednesday. I am certain i have all supporting documents in place.

Now i have two further questions, must I, as sponsor travel to Bangkok to submit the application with my girlfriend or not? I am hoping its not necessary so I can stay in Chiang Mai with our son, otherwise its a trip for 3 of us then (more $).

The second question is can all the photocopies of documents be in black and white or must they be in colour?

Thanks again!

Has anyone else on the forum had experience of obtaining a UK visa with your g/f, and then deciding to visit another EU country (France in may case), without a visa? We will also be travelling with our son (UK passport). Reading into the Schengen topic, the rules seem very contentious, but my gut feeling is to apply for a visa beforehand.

From Travel documents for non-EU family members

Arriving at the border without an entry visa

It is always best for your non-EU family members to be well informed in advance and have all the necessary documents before starting their journey.

However, if they arrive at the border without an entry visa, the border authorities should give them the opportunity to prove by other means that they are your family members. If they manage to prove it, they should be issued with an entry visa on the spot.

Unless she meets the French definition of an unmarried partner, your girlfriend will not be considered your family member; but she is a family member of her British son and his birth certificate should prove this.

Up to you if you want to try without a visa and risk her being denied entry to France, or more likely be denied boarding by the airline, ferry company, Eurotunnel or Eurostar. But I recommend she gets a visa.

Now i have two further questions, must I, as sponsor travel to Bangkok to submit the application with my girlfriend or not?

There is no need for you to go as well; indeed many sponsor's are UK residents and not in Thailand when the application is submitted. Even if you do go with her, usually only the applicant is allowed entry to the visa application centre.

The second question is can all the photocopies of documents be in black and white or must they be in colour?

Either.

• 4 weeks later...

My girlfriends visa was approved, took about 17 days from when she dropped her documents down in Bkk. No hassles what-so-ever, just submit the correct paperwork and documents for the sponsorship and everything should be fine. Pretty sure my girl/f had 0 baht in her thai bank account too, though she did have a letter of employment/confirming salary, and stating she can return to her job when she returns to Thailand.....

Just one other question, its ok for me too book one way flights back to the UK for my girlfriend or must it be a return? We will be travelling on the same flight together with our 2 year old son.......